A fact that debunks the dubs statement of this being ''the last memorial''

by kittyeatzjdubs 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Minimus,

If I had such a kneejerk reaction whenever a negative comment was made I would be bouncing around more than a Mexican Jumping Bean

What I took issue with was the topic of the post that claimed to relate "a FACT that debunks the statement of this being the " last memorial"..."

The topic title itself suggests that the statement in question is valid enough to need a fact to debunk it.

My first comments were with respect to whether the "statement" in question was a real statement, embraced by JWs. As I pointed out not only is there no official endorsement of such a statement but most JWs, as far as I know, do not endorse such a statement.

Although, I subsequently admit that there may be a a general sentiment of "end is near" within JWs that is a reflection of our large cultural dread due to current world events. (Thus i would view it quite plausible that some JWs might indeed feel that this could be last memorial.)

But Kitty's post or even your own original post never clarified that this statement was not an official endorsement, so for the sake of accuracy, I merely pointed out that it was not an official statement nor likely a widespread belief.

Then in reading Kitty's statements regarding post 9/11 attitudes, since the implication from Kitty's post was that these post 9/11 attitudes were grounds to deride JWs, I felt that the interest of fairness (and since no other forum participant seemed to be willing to do it) that I should point out that these were not unique to JWs.

-----

MaryJane,

JWs have (presently) two doctrinal beliefs which suggest that the Witnessing work will not be completed before the conclusion of the GT and Armageddon. The first is in reference to Matthew 10:23 which states:

23 When they persecute YOU in one city, flee to another; for truly I say to YOU, YOU will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives.

Here "arriving" refers not to the 1914 belief but rather to Jesus "standing up" and arriving to do the final battle with Satan and his. The work that the holy ones (aka the anointed and led JWs) are doing is preaching work. It may be that the reference to the "cities of Israel" means that these are new annointed ones coming into association in lands where they were not yet able to come into association with the other anointed, but I haven't seen that clarified like that.

The second belief, which I call the Last Biological Clock doctrine within Jehovah's Witnesses stems from the belief that the anointed will still be alive when the end comes based upon Matthew 24:22:

21 for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.

This latter belief doesn't imply the preaching and teaching work as directly as the first, but because JWs believe that it is the anointed's role (those on Earth) as the FDS-class to direct such preaching and teaching work, by implication, such work will not be completed in line with the above scripture. Incidently, I call this the "Last Biological Clock" (the former biological clock being the discarded 1914 Generation Doctrine) because it is ticking away with every death of the 8000+ old folks claiming to be the anointed.

---

who asked about the "ban" on religion? Again some feel that the scriptures are interpreted as a "ban" on religion and others feel that it just means antagonism (some to an extreme degree) and others to a milder extent.

and yes JWs believed and believe this based upon Revelation 17:16 and the surrounding context and cross-references to the identities of the Scarlet-colored Beast (used to be, may still be the U.N.) and the Woman (aka Babylon the Great, aka worldwide false religion).

-Eduardo

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    What I took issue with was the topic of the post that claimed to relate "a FACT that debunks the statement of this being the " last memorial"..."

The topic title itself suggests that the statement in question is valid enough to need a fact to debunk it.

I'm sorry I ever posted this. I just assumed that this was a common teaching for all jw's, since I had grown up hearing it my entire life. Apparently I was wrong and I apologize if I have mislead anyone or pissed anyone off with my unprovable statements.

luv, jojo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Kitty, no one is upset. we were just discussing. you don't have to apologize for anything. we all get stuff wrong from time to time. the belief that this is the last memorial is not a common one nor longstanding. Minimus' report is what some are saying this year. My points were that I didn't want anyone reading your thread, lurkers, etc. to think that this was an official teaching because they might come away with just reading it that it is and secondly that if some are saying it, I was suggesting that this might be due to our current world conditions which has everyone a bit nervous. JWs and many other Christians interpret such world conditions along their theological system, so it would be natural that some JWs might express that this "might be the last memorial" - though again, it doesn't seem to be that widespread that I know of.

We love you Kitty.

-Eduardo

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

It's cool.

I must admit...you can come across kind of **thinking of word** kind of...harsh?....at least IMO. But then again, I am overly sensitive and my feelings get hurt if you look at me funny. Maybe it's just me.

Kitty luvs ya'll too

luv, jojo

• minimus
    minimus

If you post here to add some measure of fairness, that's up to you, Ed. Regarding this being the ''last'' Memorial, I've heard that expressed for years. And I CAN speak with authority, being raised a Witness. It is not surprising to hear this type of comment as JWs are millenialists and they believe The Big One is coming anytime now. Whether these "facts" disturb your sense of fairness or not, I don't know. But most that post here respond about JW matters---not through Roman Catholic, Islamic or Jewish prospectives. To get on (ex)JW boards and try to sympathize toward the Witness cult-----well, you certainly know what you're getting into. Also, just because YOU didn't hear this comment, it doesn't mean that the expressions are not factual. If you enjoy using your legal skills to represent Jehovah's Witnesses, I recommend that you join the Watchtower legal department and give them your free services.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Isn't there a term for it all - like "mass hypnosis" or something ?

• xjwms
    xjwms

minimus

right on

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Min,

now you are being disingenuous. Your original post: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/110528/1.ashx

suggests that there is something unique "this year." Yet by your own admission, you state that you hear such statements every year or quite often. If that is the case then it would hardly be worth mention on the forum that you yet again heard such statements.

That would be like if I created a thread whose topic was, "hey I heard JW's say 'Armageddon was just around the corner'"

-Eduardo

• daystar
    daystar

I bet you're a pretty good lawyer aren't you eduardo?

• minimus
    minimus

Ed, I WOULD make such a thread! My thread expresses what we JWs have heard time and again, Ed, and that "this could be the big one"----again and again and again! AND my point in putting that thread out is to show how pathetic JWs are and now we can all see---how pathetic those who defend them are, too. You're really not that good of a lawyer here on these boards, sir. I say that with all due respect, of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit