Is Gods correct name pronounced Jehovah?? What about the messiahs name?

by evergreen 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Tetragrammaton simply means four letter word-----tetra=4

• greendawn
    greendawn

No one is certain how the tetragrammaton is pronounced but the Jews themselves who should know better than anyone else believe that the closest correct pronounciation is Yahveh.

It means "the one that is" IOW the one that truly exists but this is all relative God's name can not be really expressed satisfactorily by any word in any human language Hebrew or otherwise.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Narkissos:

Yahweh (or, less likely, Yahu/Yaho)

Isn`t Yahweh just a short-version of Yahowah?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Since I've never talked to whoever it is that you are talking about, or ever will, it doesn't matter what his name is. If he doesn't like me enough to talk to me and tell me his name, I don't care what it is.

Ken P.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

HR

Isn`t Yahweh just a short-version of Yahowah?

Where did you get this idea?

Afaik there is no ancient attestation for Yahowah (or any other three-syllable form for that matter). On the other hand Yahweh (cf. the Greek transliterations Iaoue / Iaouai, Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 5:6:34:5; Iabe / Iabai, Epiphanius of Salamis, Adversus Haereses I:3:40:5; Theodoretus of Cyrrhus, Quaestiones in Exodus XV; Haereticarum Fabularum Compendium 5:3) is the most likely complete form, whereas Yaho and Yahu are best explained as secondary shortened forms (taking the w as mater lectionis for either "o" or "u").

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    Where did you get this idea?

Hm...I don`t know, lol. Here on the forum, I guess. Ok, so it`s not short for Yahowah, good to have that cleared up. I knew that Jehovah was a "new" invention from that monk in the 13th (or whatever it was, can`t remember), but I though that Yahweh was also a "new invention", and that noone knows how the name was pronounced. Well, if the "name" Yahweh was in use at the time of Jesus, then this makes "Jehovah" even more embarassing to the WTS. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    Also there is a consonantal 'ayin which is not mentioned in the description; Greek does not have this consonant so it is omitted. Moreover the vowel in the final syllable in the Greek is not "u" but the diphthong "ou", and the final -s of Iésous is nothing else than the nominative ending.

See the names of the male Greek gods and female Greek gods?

Males -- Zeus, Hades, Hermes, Ares, Hephetus, or the demigod Hercules and Perseus

Females -- Hera, Athena

Yeshua -- Aramic name ends in "ua" which in Greek is a females name.

Yeshua if pronuonceble in Greek would have been a female's name. The Greek put "s" after "e" and "u" vowels to signify a males name. We can all see this at work in the names of Gods that they worshipped. As you can see, a name ending with the "a" vowel signals a female name as in "Hera" and "Athena".

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    GodisRight....It is not the case that the theophoric element in yhwsh` "Joshua" is realized in yahu- in Hebrew and yeho- in Aramaic. The Hebrew MT vowel pointing of "Joshua" has a shewa (what is given as "e" in your description, tho it is a neutralized vowel rather than a front mid vowel) after the initial yod, not a qamets (i.e. "a"). The waw also is pointed with a holem, indicating a vowel "o" rather than "u" (see Joshua 1:1 for an example)

Numbers 13:16 (Young's Literal Translation)

16 These [are] the names of the men whom Moses hath sent to spy the land; and Moses calleth Hoshea son of Nun, Jehoshua.

You will not notice this verse unless you are reading the NWT or Young's Literal Translation of the bible.

Notice that Joshua is pronounced JAH - Shoe - AH JAH = YAH YAH for Hebrew.

Joshua's hebrew name was Hoshea until Moses changed his name into Yahushua.

As for "yhwh" the "w" originally had a "u" sound as in "double u" or 2 "u"s The tet should be YHUH not YHWH because the "w" sound has changed over time.

The famous Jewish leader Name is a demostration: Netanyahu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Yeshua -- Aramic name ends in "ua" which in Greek is a females name. Yeshua if pronuonceble in Greek would have been a female's name.

No, as I said, it has been given in Greek a nominative ending -s (appropos for masculine and neuter nouns), and this element does not correspond to anything in the original Hebrew name (it is a morphological grammatical element). Yeshua is a foreign name and the final -a is not a first declension ending and is not realized in the Greek adaptation of the name. This vowel can either be represented as a different vowel in Greek (cf. hwsh` "Hosea" = Ósée in Hosea 1:1 LXX), or be preserved with the nominative -s following it (cf. ywnh "Jonah" = Ionas in Jonah 1:3 LXX). Since the vowel can easily pass into the Greek version of the name with the addition of a masculine nominative ending, the absence of this vowel in Iésous (i.e. not Iésouas) is due to reasons other than gender, e.g. the fact that the final consonant is an 'ayin rather than a he. On the vowel quality of the final "a", see the following comment:

The "a" represents the patach genuvah ("furtive" patach) indicating the diphthongization of the "u" vowel due to the effect of the final `ayin - in simple terms the "a" is not an additional syllable but indicates a modification of the "u" vowel which due to the `ayin was pronounced somewhat like the oo of English moor as opposed to that of food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Jehoshua = JAH - Shoe - AH JAH = Yahushua ???

GodisRight....I don't follow what you just wrote at all. Somehow you try to convert "Jehoshua" into "Yahushua" (and how you do this is inexplicable to me), but as I stated in my last post, "Yahushua" is not how the name is vowel-pointed (in Numbers 13:16, for instance), and the Hebrew version of the name is clearly "Y e hoshu`a").

As for "yhwh" the "w" originally had a "u" sound as in "double u" or 2 "u"s The tet should be YHUH not YHWH because the "w" sound has changed over time.

No, you are confused about the use of the waw as a mater lectionis; it did not always have this function, and neither was there any sound change from a waw that was always a mater lectionis to one that is not. Notice that in Ntnyhw "Netanyahu" the theophoric element lacks the final he; this facilitates the mater lectionis usage of the preceding waw. Thus, yhwh is not yhuh as you have it because there is a final he!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit