Your frst ever computer

by greendawn 64 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

I had a hand me down Commodor 64 and all you could play on it was dos based games.

• ballistic
    ballistic

dos wasn't around in the days of the Commodore64 although it did have a disk operating system of sorts. Graphics and sound on the Commodore 64 was amazing for it's time courtesy of the SID and VIC chips.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Timex / Sinclair ZX81 (if you don't count the Univac 20/20 I maintained, but I didn't own it)

• wombat
    wombat

Is this off the thread...?

I made big bucks selling electronic calculators back in the '60s. It was small enough to fit into my briefcase. This little Sanyo baby could do all four functions plus had a memory. It incorporated the newly-deveoped of integrated circuit.

The demo to the prospect was fantastic. I'd ask them to give me an impossible calculation (say, divide 1 by 7), do it and show them. They couldn't believe it. No noise and straight away.

It cost about a year's wages which was cheap. The previous models cost about three years wages and didn't have a memory to accumulate totals. About the size of a sewing machine.

Gee I'm old. Might have a Milo and go to bed.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Tandy Sensation 1991

Dismembered

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Yep miloman, calculators have advanced beyond our wildest dreams

altalt

• luna2
    luna2
    no, no, no! you mentioned the "toy" word. These computers are very serious ok?

ballistic, I take my computer very seriously now...but back then, I didn't see the point. The word processing program we had was extremely primative and didn't work very well...Many times as I was trying to type a letter or a report for my son, I cursed at the stupid thing and wished for a nice typewriter. Seemed like all that first 'puter was for was entertainment for the kids.

wombat, what's a Milo?

Can I go home now? My workday is only two hours old and it's already crap. I have the kind of headache where my vision is screwed up (white spots in front of my eyes, etc...)

• wombat
    wombat

Luna 2...

It's a hot chocolate milk drink that old people have to help them sleep and build up the calcium in their frailing bones. Like..I remember having a crystal radio. Bet no one here knows what I'm talking about.

• daystar
    daystar

Excellent topic!

TI99/4A in the hizzle!

alt

Cassette deck to save my BASIC programs and even a voice synth module plugged in tthe back.

Later, like a lot of you, I moved on to the C64. My first PC was a Compaq Prolinea:

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

A crystal radio to die for (mine was made in dads shed with some barbed wire a toilet roll and a plank lol

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit