Commodore 128 with three flopy drives.

Ken P.

• serendipity
    serendipity

We got a Commodore 64 in 1982 or so.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Chalk up one more for the C64.

I had the 1541 floppy drive with it and not the datassettes. Was it ever noisy. Some demo disks I had, would kinda mess with the head so that the noises would sound more like a tune. I used to call into some local BBSs with a 300 BAUD modem. Unfortunately, we weren't hooked up to Quantum Link. I don't miss typing in all those bloody "POKE"s though.

The first computer I ever bought entirely with my own money was the Amiga 1000 with the expansion to 512K....and I switched over to other Amiga models through the years.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The ZX80 I wrote the programs myself in Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code (BASIC) I learned Fortran and Cobol later

• anewme
    anewme

I dont remember clearly what year my elder husband bought his first computer. But I do know he did not want me touching it. I could type his talks for him while he dictated. But I was not allowed to use it when he was not in the room. Nor could I go online with it when the internet became available.

It was not until 2001 when I called up Dell Computer Co. and they sent me out a new Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop complete with black carrying case and a five year guarantee and charged me just a few dollars a month for a couple of years to pay it off.

I was absolutely a computer virgin when the computer arrived. I knew nothing, nada about the internet.
    It just shows you what good programming is capable of teaching a complete newbie.
    I am still using my Dell Inspiron and I love it. It is so ergonomically comfortable and intrudes very little on the decor of my home (which I like to keep as low tech and country looking as possible) (kind of goes with the cabin in the woods theme)

Yep, me and my little Dell. We've come a long way baby!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My first PC was a 386 SX25 with 1 Mb RAM running WFWFG 3.11/DOS 5.0/PC Tools

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

stilla....Yeah, that was my first computer too, a Timex Sinclair ZX81, with a memory pack with an awesome 16K! Played the flight simulator with casette tape programs. And taught myself BASIC and tried my hand at programming. Did you subscribe to that Syntax newsletter? I loved that....had so much good stuff in there to try out.... I remember a Space Invaders type game that shot out asterisks...and some graphics-heavy dinosaur game.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The first company I started was writing games for the ZX81.

steve

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah, so did you advertise in the Syntax newsletter? Did we buy a program or too from you? (on cassette tape)

Guess that company didn't last long, or did it?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Leilaia,

Our publisher was UK market. So I doubt if our stuff reached you.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit