Your frst ever computer

by greendawn 64 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

What was the first ever computer that you owned? No doubt some here had some of the earliest home computers that came out such as the Commodore 64.

I bought my first one relatively late in 1997, it had CPU 200 MHz MMX, 2.3GB hard disk, 64MB RAM, 2MB graphics card, modem 36K.

It appears ancient now but it was very good for its day and cost me £1350 which was a very friendly price, usual price was around £1800. I was using it until March 2004 and it never broke down.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Hmmm...I don't remember exactly what model it was...I was only 5 or 6. I do remeber that it had a black screen with green letters and to access the programs, you had to type in that DOS c://exe.blahblahblah code stuff. I think the only thing it had on it was Jeopardy (for my dad) and some Sesame Street game (for me).

luv, jojo

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1980 - a Sinclair ZX81

• VM44
    VM44

Here is my first computer. See the 8-track stuck in it's side? That was the ROM!

• JH
    JH

My first was a slow one...

75 mhz pentium 1 probably....16MB of ram

85 megs hard disk

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

1983, I got a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 w/ Extended Basic (64k of RAM)

An upgrade from the original CoCo 2, the TRaSh 80 CoCo 2 w/ Extended Basic had FOUR color low- AND medium-resolution graphics as well as 64k (as opposed to 48k of RAM). Cartridge slot ROM packs could be purchased for the system, and later they came out with the CoCo 3 that used floppy disks (just before the 8086 processor boom).

I had no data storage device, so my programs I typed in required that the power not go off.

At age 8, I wrote a fairly sophisticated chess program that didn't play chess but allowed the board to be set up, chess moves to be made, and up to seven moves retracted. I printed out the code so that I could reenter the nearly 1,000 lines again if the power went out. Which it did, several times.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Forscher
    Forscher

My first one was an Atari combination Game/computer. There was no disk drive or anything like that. Any program had to written in Atari Basic and input manually. I remember my baby brother coming over one day and talking about this new game he wanted to play, Flight Simulator. So he decided to sit right down and type in his own version of it from his head and fly the damn thing! Those were the days!

Forscher

• ballistic
    ballistic

edited *picture too large made the thread scroll to the right*

edited *another picture:*

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Tandy 1000 SX with an 8088 processor. RGB monitor No hard drive. I think it ran around 8 megahertz 640kb of ram

Had do load dos each time I turned it on. It actually loaded faster, I got an A: prompt faster than when windows loads.

• ferret
    ferret

Samsung 20 years ago

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit