Question?

by TimJonz 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Seven Day Adventists believe the Sabbath is a perpertual sign because it was instigated at the time of Adam and not Moses and so was not done away with at the Mosaic Law.

(Genesis 2:2-3) 2

And by the seventh day God came to the completion of his work that he had made, and he proceeded to rest on the seventh day from all his work that he had made. 3 And God proceeded to bless the seventh day and make it sacred, because on it he has been resting from all his work that God has created for the purpose of making.

Here is some spiel off their site:

o The Sabbath is God's perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God's creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11; Luke 4:16; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Matt. 12:1-12; Ex. 31:13-17; Eze. 20:12, 20; Deut. 5:12-15; Heb. 4:1-11; Lev. 23:32; Mark 1:32.)

• Shazard
    Shazard

Yes, sabath is done away in the form it was told to Israel. Today it the commandement is fullfilled with Jesus Christ. If you ar in Christ you are keeping sabath allready. If you are on your own and you are Jew, you have to keep sabath. If you are not Jew, you are not required to keep sabath.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Exodus 31 (English Standard Version) 12 And the LORD said to Moses, 13 "You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, 'Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. 16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. 17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.'"

18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

I don't think it matters if the Sabbath was done away with or not: As you can see, when the Sabbath is put into the proper context, it is actually a covenant between God and Israel. Did God ever tell Gentiles to obey the sabbath? Such a deal was never made with anyone outside of Israel. The only reason why breaking the Sabbath was a sin is because God told them not to work on the Sabbath. All other sins like adultry, murder, and stealing are sins in itself. But Sabbath violation is only a sin to the Israelites because God told them to observe it and the Israelites agreed to this. Unless Jacob(Isreal) is your forefather, the sabbath has nothing to do with you. Has God been mentioned any where in bible as being angry with non Isrealites in foreign lands who do not observe the Sabbath?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Christians are not under the Mosaic law according to the Jerusalem council that took place around 50AD and all gentile Christians were declared as being free from practicing it.

That of course included observing the Sabbath and Paul was very much against those trying to impose the Mosaic law on gentile Christians as a necessary part of their salvation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit