Question?

by TimJonz 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

WOW! The man's speaking rasta or channeling Bob Marley of someth'n!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

TimJonz,

I'm not trying to make you "sit down." However, I would encourage you to think carefully about imposing a law on those not born under it lest you fall prey to the leaven of the Pharisees. But any decision you make is, of course, your own.

(KJV) Romans 14:5-9—One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
    (KJV) Galatians 4:8-11—Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

I disagree with anyone who arbitrarily asserts that Sunday is the first day of the week and therefore Saturday should be the Sabbath day. If you have some line of evidence to that effect I will be happy to consider it, however I believe you are working from the Gregorian calendar and making some assumptions that are at best suspect and at worst outrightly disprovable.

I am persuaded in my own mind that the principle at issue is not which day but, rather, the purpose of the time set aside. If you are persuaded otherwise, I am content to allow you that persuasion.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

Happy Birthday Tim-

I am not that versed in the law...so, I have no comment on the Sabbath. However I do know that most people on here do indeed love God (and even if they no longer do believe in God). Try to lead good and upright lives. Most of us (well me anyway) No longer try to push our beliefs onto other people. There was a quote once that said." Stand up for what you believe but don't believe its the whole truth or the only truth". Call, me crazy but I do believe that God loves all people even if we don't follow certain traditions or religious ways.

• cosmic
    cosmic

Auld Soul,

You bring up a very good point. Of all the increments of time that there are in nature (months, days, years) the week is a purely man made span. Which makes one wonder what the little birds waiting expectantly by the cafes on Wall Street think of Sundays.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

TJ

Is the Sabbath of the Lord done away with?

Today it is in the person of Jesus The Christ.

Heb 4:9

So, then, there remains a sabbath rest to the people of God. 10 For he entering into His rest, he himself also rested from his works, as God had rested from His own. LXX-Psa. 95:11; Gen. 2:2 11 Therefore, let us exert ourselves to enter into that rest, that not anyone fall in the same example of disobedience.

Do you feel you are justified by your keeping the sabbath or the deeds of the law?

D Dog

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    There is no law still binding on Christians to observe a specific Sabbath day, if that is what you are asking. However, keeping a Sabbath makes sense for anyone who wishes to maintain a good communion with God. Regular periods of spiritual contemplation are refreshing and encouraging to me, so I keep a sort of Sabbath.

Paul went to great lengths to dispel the notions that Christians were under compulsion to observe certain times, days, and seasons. But he went to equal trouble to make clear that no one should trouble those who choose to keep such observances.

Hi AuldSoul,

Just popping in to say how much I appreciated that.

That's all - carry on!

• Johnny
    Johnny

Good question.

If I understand correctly, the Sabbath, in its typical form, never applied to Christians. However it prefigured, what might be referred to as the antitypical Sabbath, which is the day of rest of the Lord. Whcih we are all in right now.

Peace!

Johnny

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

TJ

Was Jesus a sabbath breaker?

Luke 13:14 And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.

Mark 2:23

And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. 24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

D Dog

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Timjones,

The fact that Paul went to the synagogue on the Sabbath, doesn't mean he went there with the intent to observe it. His mission was preaching. Do you or your church members observe the Sabbath by preaching in synagogues?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I happen to agree with jgnat--answer that ? when the sabbath gets here!!

timjones- I am good enough to wish you godspeed, no matter what you believe!

shelley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit