Watchtower claim to be a small business to avoid Privacy Act. What do I do?

by jwfacts 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I wonder if the WTS is attempting to claim that Turnover does not include donations?

That's probably the case, but if you submit a response claiming donations are turnover, the worst they can happen is say it isn't. If there is no cost to you than it may be worth your time! I found this: Small Business in Australia, 2001--Australian Bureau of Statistics

TURNOVER Sales of goods and services, commission income, repair and service income, rent, leasing, and hiring income (excluding unallocated rent, leasing and hiring income), government bounties and subsidies, and all other operating income except interest, royalties and dividends. Also included is the value of capital work done by the management unit for itself and the value of equipment withdrawn from stock for own use or for rental or lease outside the management unit.

You could try to say that donations are operating income and so is the value of the highlighted items, and see what happens. (In addition to responding to all the other points listed above.)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is good work rebel8,

There is the option to complain to the ombudusman if you think the Privacy commission did not do satisfactory job . I will ask the guy to reopen the case to save me making a formal complaint against him for not doing looking into the size of the company before approaching the WTS.

Operating income does not exclude donations, so donations should be included.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

If the Watchtower is a small business and you went door to door selling their shitty magazines, does that not make you an employee? Would you be able to ask them for a record of employment?

If you have never been an employee under the Watchtower Society, what business is it of theirs to have your personal information?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Now I`m confused. Are they a business or a religion? I thought they claim to be a religious organisation, so that they can avoid paying taxes? But now they want to be a small business, so that they can avoid having to give ex-members their files?

Can they relly be both?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The WTS is a non profit organisation. Under most countries laws a non profit organisation is still a corporation, they just do not distribute profit to the members or shareholders. Excess profit will normally be used for Charitable works. The WTS can not claim to be a small business from what I have read because under Australian law a small business is simply described as one with less than $3 million Australian dollars turnover. That is why I struggle to understand how they get away with this statement. The only thing i can think of is that they have multiple legal entities and are shifting the money between them to avoid legal responsibility.

• moshe
    moshe

Well, that settles it. They have confessed! The WT Society is not a Church or religion- just a business. DO YOU JW's SEE the point- they are in the publishing business, that's all. You have all been duped, conned and swindled for over 100 years. Get out of the KH and start living your own life. A business has no juridiction over your soul and no authority over your life, either. The Elders are just sales directors for the WT publishing business. Take back your life, people!!!

peace,

Moshe

ps- don't businesses have to pay income taxes?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

The Legal Aid Commission gets partial funding from the Federal Government to follow up Federal matters in court. I would suggest you get onto your Legal Aid branch and see if they'll help you out in this case.

• Legolas
    Legolas

OK...If they are a 'business' ...do they pay taxes?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I know in the UK (and I am aware the Australian legal system is similar) we have a term called 'Associated Company' which means that for the purposes of these sorts of investigations a subsidiary company is associated with the parent. You might well seek some legal advice as to whether or not this would count in these circumstances. Its worth a shot!

In this section—
    • “ associated company ”, in relation to a company (“C”), means a company which is C's subsidiary, or C's holding company or a subsidiary of C's holding company;
    • “provision” means a provision of any nature, whether or not it is contained in a company's articles or in any contract with a company.]

DB74

• Gerard
    Gerard

Them make the government question their non-profit status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit