"Moses was the first JW"

by stillAwitness 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have never heard it said that Moses was the first JW, but I can understand why he may believe that. Moses was the first person to know the word Jehovah (well YHWH) Due to the great weight JWs put on using the word Jehovah you can not say that anyone before him was technically a 'Jehovah's' Witnesses.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

surely the first witness of jehovah was jesus

stilla...who did you think it was?

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

All you guys are wrong. Don't buy into the hype. The real first jehovah witness was Rutherford .

Jehovah Witnesses is totally his creation. Russel and other Christians have noting to with do Rutherford's BS.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I'm sure you know more about it than I do but interestingly, Moses father in law, Jethro was a Priest of Midian and Job was a man from the East, the most righteous man on earth at the time.

Neither Jethro nor Job is credited with "writing" any part of the Bible. WTS says that Moses wrote Job.

Solomon, and Lemuel and one more I can't think of is credited with Proverbs, and Solomon did not appear to remain faithful and not much if anything is known about Lemuel.

Just rambling. Hope you and yours are well.

Uninformed

• heathen
    heathen

It had to be satan the devil . He knew how to manipulate things just enough to keep people confused and do his will , just like the book publishing corporation .

• Kaput
    Kaput
    The real first jehovah witness was Rutherford .

Jehovah Witnesses is totally his creation.

I would agree with GodisRight. Nowhere in the Bible is the term "Jehovah's Witness(es)" used. However, the term "Christian" is. Jehovah's Witnesses was first applied to the Bible Students by Rutherford at the Columbus, Ohio convention in 1931.

The following excerpt is from the 1975 Yearbook, page 151, regarding adoption of the "new" name, Jehovah's Witnesses. The account is given by A.H. Macmillan:

"It was my privilege to be here in Columbus in 1931 when we received . . . the new title or name . . . I was amongst the five that were to make a comment on what we thought about the idea of accepting that name, and I told them this briefly: I thought that it was a splendid idea because that title there told the world what we were doing and what our business was. Prior to this we were called Bible Students. Why? Because that's what we were. And then when other nations began to study with us, we were called International Bible Students. But now we are witnesses for Jehovah God, and that title there tells the public just what we are and what we're doing . . . .

"In fact it was God Almighty, I believe, that led to that, for Brother Rutherford told me himself that he woke up one night when he was preparing for that convention and he said, 'What in the world did I suggest an international convention for when I have no special speech or message for them? Why bring them all here?' And then he began to think about it and Isaiah 43 came to his mind. He got up at two o'clock in the morning and wrote in shorthand, at his own desk, an outline of the discourse he was going to give about the Kingdom, the hope of the world, and about the new name. And all that was uttered by him at that time was prepared that night, or that morning at two o'clock. And [there is] no doubt in my mind --- not then nor now --- that the Lord guided him in that, and that is the name Jehovah wants us to bear and we're very happy and very glad to have it."

Rutherford applied Isaiah 43:10 as the basis for taking the name Jehovah's Witnesses. However, he also used Isaiah 62:2 as a corroborating scripture, which states: "And the nations shall see my righteousness, and all kings thy glory; and thou shall be called by a new name, which the mouth of Jehovah shall name." Interestingly, he didn't continue on with verses 3 & 4 which state: "Thou shalt also be a crown of beauty in the hand of Jehovah, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God. Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate; but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah; for Jehovah delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married." (red highlighting mine)

So much for Jehovah enlightening "Da Judge". Might just as well have called 'em Rutherford's Rangers or somethin'.

• heathen
    heathen

Funny how jesus said you will be hated on account of me not jehovah . Revelation says people are slaughtered for bearing witness to jesus . The apostles just simply called themselve christian . Rutherford was nothing more than a false prophet anyway .

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Moses would probably say, "je-who?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit