"Moses was the first JW"

by stillAwitness 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Don't you just love it when you're out in service with one of those self-righteous elders and they get stumped at the door in field service by someone who knows more than they do! So the lady goes: "Who was the very first JW?" Elder: stutter stutter Lady: "It was Charles Taze Russel wasn't it?" Elder: suddenly very annoyed: ""Ma'am, Russel did not establish JW's. As Isaiah blah blah states yadi yadi yadi therefore we can say that it was Moses who was the first JW." Well it did not go well. Hell, the lady started falling over in laughter and it took all my might not to join in also.

• blondie
    blondie

To be technical in case this was humor, the WTS teaches that Abel was the first JW. That elder flunked.

rs p. 202 par. 3 Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

According to the Bible, the line of witnesses of Jehovah reaches back to faithful Abel. Hebrews 11:4–12:1 says: "By faith Abel offered God a sacrifice of greater worth than Cain . . . By faith Noah, after being given divine warning of things not yet beheld, showed godly fear . . . By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed in going out into a place he was destined to receive as an inheritance . . . By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of the daughter of Pharaoh, choosing to be ill-treated with the people of God rather than to have the temporary enjoyment of sin . . . So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Hey thanks Blondie! I should rub this info in his face, it'll make him feel so dumb afterwards!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

The funny thing about Hebrews 11:4 is that it doesn't say Able was Jehovah's witness, it says Jehovah was Able's witness, and that God is testifying of him....at least that's how I read it.

~Merry

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

MM,

I guess 12:1 (referring back to the list in chapter 11) is actually the "proof-text".

• willyloman
    willyloman

Elder, confronted by Blondie: "Uh, Abel, Moses... whatever."

• blondie
    blondie

willyloman, I always made sure that any "corrections" were done asking a question, and showing them the quote from the WT pubs. I would always take another sister along with me too.

Brother Blowhard, I couldn't help hearing that you said that Moses was the first JW. I had never heard that before so I looked it up and here in the reasoning book it says..........Is there some new information in the publications that designates Moses as the first JW? Could you show that to me?...no...it is Abel. Okay, just don't want to be passing on any wrong information to the householders I meet.
  • luna2
    luna2

blondie, you are so tactful! LOL

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Narkissos,

I was wondering about that very scripture as well. Do most commentaries consider this "great cloud of witnesses" to be all the faithful mentioned in Chapter 11, or might they instead be those alive in the time of the author who are witnesses of Jesus? I am wondering because of the wording "we also" (kai hemeis), or "we in addition to" the "these all" of 11:39.

~Merry

• jgnat
    jgnat

Shoot. I was hoping it was Moses.

Maybe Moses was the first JW to marry an "unbeliever".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit