New System Questions

by sandy 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    Also note that the WT "resurrected" can die (again), in opposition to this text.

The change of perspective which the WT doctrine implies (some people getting into the coming age through a resurrection, others without a resurrection -- yet not being "changed" as in 1 Thessalonians 4 / 1 Corinthians 15) makes the point on marriage ludicrous and psychologically painful to many a believer. Yet they cannot apply this text to "spiritual resurrection" because the situation discussed is pre-Pentecost.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. The watchtower teaching is totally false. I use to believe if died before the end of the system things, I would never get married or have children.

It's so sad that they teach rightous persons will neither get married on earth or go to live with God in heaven.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

"True" or "false" really has nothing to do with it. We are discussing theology. It is accurate to say that the WTS is interpreting these passages differently than the author intended them.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I think the trouble is that the bible nowhere mentions a paradise being restored on earth. All scriptures in context and inference, even the ones the org use to back their teaching from the NWT (which are mostly mis-translated) suggest a heavenly reward only. Which is why for hundreds of years the heavenly calling was the teaching of the christian church.

The org have never fully explained this one and it's the one issue my parents have a real problem with. My mum won't even get on a plane cos she says if it crashes and she dies she'll be resurrected and won't be able to marry!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

And it should be noted that for an historical Jesus to argue with Saduccees for proof of the resurrection by referring to angels is just innane. Saduccees didn't accept the existance of angels either as they recognized it was a late theological development resulting from the deities once acknowlwedged being demoted to messengers of God.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

"In reply Jesus said to them: "You are mistaken, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven." (But didn't some angels mate with earthly women and spawn giants -- the Nephilim and Rephaim like Goliath? 1Sa 17:4, Gen 6:4 see also Num 13:33)

The operative words here being "as angels in heaven" the angels that had sexual relationships with women weren't in heaven at the time, they were "angels on earth"

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Promised follow-up to the Mormon question: Apparently, you can be re-married if you are divorced or widowed. No wants to talk about who gets her in the afterlife. Perhaps a re-married woman is considered something like a concubine. Or, perhaps they consider it earthly brother-in-law marriage. I don't know! My hope is the SusanHere will come back and answer that for us.

My info was dated, as I lived in Utah from the mid-70s to 1980. They are similar to JWs in that their beliefs change; they get "new revelations" too. When I lived there, the Feds were going to sanction them because they didn't allow black men into the priesthood. (Elders and on up the food chain are priests.) They felt that blacks were descendants of Cush, and were therefore cursed and unworthy. The Prophet received a message from god just days in advance of the sanction. Now, black men can be priests.

Since I haven't been there for 20 years, I am sure some things have changed. Again, SusanHere will hopefully enlighten us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit