New System Questions

by sandy 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Is the JW concept of the future biblical? Is there anything in the Bible that supports their version of the paradise? It sounds strange that the supposedly surviving dubs will be marrying and the resurrected will not.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

That's why the society will not definitively write that resurrected persons will not marry. Jesus said they wouldn't be married; he didn't say the couldn't be married. IF, you use the society's reasoning, the vast majority of persons on the earth will be resurrected persons. If they can not be married, then Satan won!

Satan will have thwarted Jehovah's original purpose: married couples reproducing. Another example of going way beyond what is written.

• VM44
    VM44

The resurrected ones are going to be like the women in "The Stepford Wives"!

Smiling, happy all the time, with no bad memories from the past. And...they will believe and do everything they are told to believe and do in The New World Society.

--VM44

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I trust you are referring to the FIRST "Stepford Wives." I think the second ruined the premise by trying to introduce humor.

Gee, I can't wait to have my brain wiped clean! :)

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Wow, I can't believe I didn't remember this until now. A pioneer sister in our congregation came back from an extended visit to relatives in Juno, Alaska. She is on a bible study up there with another long-time pioneer sister, and they are discussing the resurrection/marriage issue. The Juno pioneer sister tells the study that resurrected persons will be gender neutral and will not be interested in sex or marriage. The pioneer from our congregation corrected on the spot.

Has anyone heard of this "reasoning" before? Where would this woman get such an idea?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Sandy --> If you mary your deceased best friend's fiance what happens when the three of you meet up again in the new system?

I mean I know the reasoning that the dead will be resurrected to perfection and will feel no more physical pain but what about the emotional pain?

I'm sure those physical and emotional needs will be taken care of. You seem to be rather skeptical that people will not be happy and satisfied when resurrected.

It's likely that there will be special arrangements made for those resurrected. They will likely get preferred treatment in many ways.

For example, those resurrected may get special discount cards, upgrades on travel, preferred seating at restaurants, happy hour 2 for 1 specials etc.

Sandy, you have to keep an open mind.

Rub a Dub

• robhic
    robhic

This is what an ex-JW wrote on another forum:

Married people who survive armageddon remain married. Single people who survive armageddon could be married in paradise (imagine getting all perfect gifts!). Resurrected people would not marry...and here's the scripture they used to support it...

Matthew 22:29-30 (new world translation):
    "In reply Jesus said to them: "You are mistaken, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven." (But didn't some angels mate with earthly women and spawn giants -- the Nephilim and Rephaim like Goliath? 1Sa 17:4, Gen 6:4 see also Num 13:33)

Hope this adds something you can use.

• Clam
    Clam
    The resurrected ones are going to be like the women in "The Stepford Wives"!

Ha, I was thinking just that when watching this film the other evening.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Actually, Jesus was reffering to good persons who die and go to heaven. His reply was in answer to a question about a man assumed to be a worshipper of God. When jesus said that the person in the ressurection would be as angels. He meant that literaly. When faithful Christians die, they become spirit persons similar to the angels.

However, people who died without the knowledge of God will be able to get married once again in the new world.

Jehovah Witness's false interpretations of the Scriptures run more deeper than you know. I suggest dropping everything you ever learned from them and read the bible over from scratch without their preinterpretated teachings.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The controversy between Jesus and the Sadducees in the Synoptic Gospels clearly implies a completely different perspective: the resurrection (of life) is to a (spiritual) "coming age" in which there is no sex/marriage for anybody. The WT idea of having both "resurrected" and "non-resurrected" people around on a "paradise earth" is completely foreign to the text. Cf. Luke 20:34ff:

Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection.

Also note that the WT "resurrected" can die (again), in opposition to this text.

The change of perspective which the WT doctrine implies (some people getting into the coming age through a resurrection, others without a resurrection -- yet not being "changed" as in 1 Thessalonians 4 / 1 Corinthians 15) makes the point on marriage ludicrous and psychologically painful to many a believer. Yet they cannot apply this text to "spiritual resurrection" because the situation discussed is pre-Pentecost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit