My account of a trip to the 1969 District Assembly

by RunningMan 28 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Thanks for the spelling corrections, Kudra. I blame my spell checker - Fudgesicle isn't in there, and as for the wontons, well the word fits some of those young dumplings pretty well.

William, if you remember the name of the Sask people who stayed with you, PM it to me. The odds are more than good that I know them. Hell, we're probably related. JWs are pretty inbred up in these parts. Also, I'm glad you remember the train accident. I wasn't sure if I imagined it or not.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Excellent RunningMan, a very entertaining account of what must have been something of an ordeal. I heard about the 8 day conventions. I'm glad I never went to one though.

• JAVA
    JAVA

RunningMan -- I enjoyed every word; thank you so much!

I also have a copy of the Atheist's Book of Bible Stories, and loved every page. It's kept in an area of the house for others to see, and I can't tell you how many people stop dead in their tracks when seeing it! Several have taken it home to read and share with others (I still like giving a "good witness" after all these years).

Thanks again for sharing your story on the Forum. I look forward to more.

• lilybird
    lilybird

I enjoyed reading your story Running Man.. brought back many good/bad memories of assemblies as a child..You're a colourful writer,, as I read I could picture your journey.. It was entertaining.. looking forward to reading more from you

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

RunningMan that was fantastic!

We never traveled that far, but my father was not a JW for years, and my mother and 2 or 3 of her best JW alone-in-the-'truth' friends would pack all the kids in our station wagon and drive for hours to an assembly. One year I think there were 3 adults and 8 kids in our station wagon. I had to sit in the 'very back', as we called it, to watch the one woman's bratty kids and make sure they behaved.

Good times.

GGG

• LDH
    LDH

I loved this! Where can I get an Athiest Book of Bible Stories?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

PM me your email address, and I will send out a formated copy. It's also available on this site - just look under my topics. But, the formatted copy is easier to read and contains a few revisions.

• Clam
    Clam

Running Man that was great thanks. Can't wait for the next installment.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

To carry the load, my father bought a roof rack and made a large plywood box to ride on the roof of our 1969 Ford Custom 500. I must pause for a moment and offer my hearty congratulations to Henry Ford and his children. I have seen trucks that couldn’t handle the load and stress that that car too

I'm still laughing!!! That sounds very similiar to the trip we took to NY/Yankee Stadium!!! God was that HOT and BORING! But I was so excited about going to NY that I was willing to endure anything!

Thanks for the story and the laughs...

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit