UBMs - why do we love JWs??

by Super_Becka 52 Replies latest social relationships

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Let me preface this by saying Becka that I'm glad that you have someone that you feel good to be around, that makes you feel good. I find that we are often with people who reflect us in very true ways. Your boyfriend will figure himself out in time as you will as well. The only caution I would lend would be that if this is your choice in men that you must grow with them or all will fall to pieces.

Maybe it would be better for me to say that I tend to find myself with guys that haven't really figured out who they are, what they want and what they need.

The beauty of being with someone who has these things already figured out is that they tend to know what it is that they want and that is part of what makes a man or a woman vs a girl or a boy IMHO. The problem with being with someone who hasn't figured it out is that the growth of knowing these vital things can be stunted simply by their split focus. You are his priority and he is not his priority. Hopefully though by watching you and seeing how you grow and interact it will help him know what he needs out of his life and his interactions.

Good luck to you

CHL

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hi CHL, looks like I got my point across more clearly this time. I certainly didn't mean to make myself out to be one of those girls who sets out in a relationship to change the man that she's with, I'm just not that kind of person.

The problem with being with someone who hasn't figured it out is that the growth of knowing these vital things can be stunted simply by their split focus. You are his priority and he is not his priority. Hopefully though by watching you and seeing how you grow and interact it will help him know what he needs out of his life and his interactions.

First, let me say that I definitely don't consider myself to be a "woman" yet, it kinda freaks me out when people here on the board call me that, I'm definitely still a "girl", still figuring things out, still becoming the person that I'm meant to be, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's fun to grow and learn, I like finding out new things about myself, and sometimes I surprise myself.

And I think that, with my current boyfriend, and I emphasize the word "boy", we're both getting a chance to grow together. When I first started talking to him, I was so shy around him and so insecure about everything, and he seemed to be very introverted, a real loner, someone who could be quite happy to spend his whole life alone in his apartment, playing video games and going out only to work and get groceries. But now, over a year later, I know that I'm a more secure person (not completely secure, but I am a work in progress) and I feel more comfortable with myself (he's tried so hard to make me feel better about myself), and he's different, too. Sure, he's still quite content to spend a lot of time doing his own thing, not doing anything interesting or new, but that's only when we're apart and he's alone. When we talk about the next time we'll be together (long-distance relationship, remember), he's suddenly full of ideas for things to do. He wants to take me places, show me around (and show me off, too), do things with me, it's really amazing to see him like that. Even when I visited him last August, I expected to do a couple of things with him and just hang out a lot together, but he has something interesting and exciting to do every single day, there was never a dull moment. I think he's finally seeing that there's a fun and exciting world out there and now that he has someone to share it with, he wants to get out and see everything. Sometimes, when I think about it, I think that we're both helping each other grow in different ways.

I think that we're both very immature and inexperienced, but at least for now, we're both growing together, learning new things, seeing new sides of each other, it's nice. And I think, in a way, that's what we both need, someone to grow up with, someone to help us figure out who we are... even if it's just a temporary thing.

-Becka :) (of the "sometimes it's nice to forget that he's a JW" class)

• jojochan
    jojochan
    I think he's finally seeing that there's a fun and exciting world out there and now that he has someone to share it with, he wants to get out and see everything. Sometimes, when I think about it, I think that we're both helping each other grow in different ways.

I think that we're both very immature and inexperienced, but at least for now, we're both growing together, learning new things, seeing new sides of each other, it's nice. And I think, in a way, that's what we both need, someone to grow up with, someone to help us figure out who we are...

And that's the thing that i wanted those that are lurking and are in a relationship with those on the outside to understand. There is infinite possibilities in a relationship with no rules and conditions to strictly to abide by. Foer them to let go, and not be afraid to step outside of that box that they've been poking holes in to see on the outside of all this time. They need to understand how it feels to the other person when they see all this before their eyes.

The good thing is that you accepted him for how he is, even though he is inactive and not baptised.The base foundation is that you love him and desire to make it work. Grow together and not apart. Even though there will be hard times and he will get pin pricks because that's just how it is regarding this belief; you know that he loves you.

And you love him.

jojochan.

• loathjw
    loathjw

AHA, but you haven't met the invisible in-laws yet. Those invisible in-laws can make your life a living hell. If your hubby does not have the heart to back you up.

Why do girls and guys fall for the make-work projects? Because we're goofy in love of course. Sure, your guy has lots of good qualities. But that's not enough to ignore the pink elephant sitting on his shoulder. One of these days that pink elephant might decide to step on you.

The "invisible in-laws" more accurately should be described as the "slimely, low-life, walking pieces of garbage" but it's ok, because I have a pink elephant gun.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ah, such eloquence on this page. The eloquence of love, the eloquence of pain. I yearn to save others from the pain if I can. I know I share this yearning with other veteran UBM's. Regardless of the wonderful qualities of my partner, Super_Becka, and the magic of our initial joining, it would be negligent for me to suggest you ignore the pink elephant. I am saying the path you are choosing is tougher than you can imagine. Very, very tough. What is very frustrating for me to watch is that you have the freedom, at this stage, to walk away. It is much harder for me. And, if you had children with your man, you have the very real threat of being married to the organization for life. All it would take is for one of your children to convert.

Gary Busselman (Garybus) experienced this pain first-hand. I've lost track of all the loved-ones he's lost, but one son, the story of one of his sons permanently lost to him still makes me tear up. Gary has a son with a permanent mental disability. I have a son with a permanent mental disability.

My son, who is very much like Gary's, launched out on his own and I very nearly lost him to the street. Last year I was able to convince him to accept treatment. My son's life has improved greatly, and he credits much of it to my intervention. My son calls every week, and I can't tell you what a relief it is knowing I won't get a midnight call that my young son was found dead with a needle in his arm or his head bashed in. My son takes a great deal of dedicated care, and I can think of no-one who could give it as consistently as his own parent.

Gary's son converted. In the boy's confused mind, his own father is evil and lost to him. The society makes a poor substitute parent. Gary's son continues to suffer from the Watchtower's twisted policies, and Gary is denied the honor of helping his own son find his way through a very confusing world.

There are very few things in this world more painful than being cut-off from a dependent child.

Asking annoying questions is a ubm speciality.

C_Y_P, this made me laugh. If there's one think successful UBM's learn to do, is to coax the delusional to think. The best way to do that is to ask questions. Millions and millions of questions. TELLING people they are dating a time-bomb is no use. SCREAMING at people that they are living with a time-bomb does not work. All we end up doing is looking like a raving fool.

But to ask a well-phrased question....

Super_Becka, what would be the deal-breaker in your relationship that would convince you to walk away?

• Poodles
    Poodles

I'm sure the fact that my boyfriend is a JW has nothing to do with my being in love with him!! I feel something for him i have never felt in my whole life! It's like i can't get enough of him!! Like he's in my blood!!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    It's like i can't get enough of him!!

Doesn't sound healthy to me. Needing people is a bad idea. People will always let you down. Be happy by yourself, and only then are you ready to actually love someone.

Loving someone isn't needing them around to be emotionally stable. Love is seeking/wanting what is in a person's best interests. That even means you might decide not to be around them if that is what is best for them.

I am sure you have no desire to read the above... neither did I when I learned all the awful lessons that gave me the above insights.

A great secret in life is to learn from the mistakes of other's. A bad idea is to look at other's who went through the same situation and figure you are somehow different.

But don't worry about it. It is just you who will bear the consequences. It is not like your kids will have to deal with all the pain, risk, and turmoil of being raised in a cult.

Trust me. There is nothing worse than looking at your kids and knowing you screwed them over.

CYP

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    But to ask a well-phrased question....

Super_Becka, what would be the deal-breaker in your relationship that would convince you to walk away?

Notice it was ignored?

• carla
    carla

I can't help but wonder if Becka in some way enjoys the 'drama' of this relationship more than the relationship itself.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    I can't help but wonder if Becka in some way enjoys the 'drama' of this relationship more than the relationship itself.

Well put Carla. UBM and ex-jw are such sympathetic and dramatic titles... I could imagine that some would want to don them, if they could do so without all the misery: brainwashed children, martyred children, loneliness, alienation, broken marriages, and broken families. I try not to be annoyed by those who I think might be trying to share in our misery on the cheap (without the costs). I just try to help them to help their captive sweethearts.

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit