Movie: The Truman Show = Jehovahs Witnesses? Anyone seen this movie?

by Trojan 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Trojan
    Trojan

By now, I realize there are a couple of good movies that help to understand the situation a JW finds himself in, once he finds out the truth about "the Truth". Like: The Village, The Island, Stepford Wifes. I find that these movies help me to understand the situation of being trapped in a cult and the mixed emotions about finding out and the courage and strenght needed to leave. Some are better than others doing this job of "self-recognization". I found one more:

"The Truman Show" (1998 with Jim Carrey). You might like or dislike Jim Carrey, but in this movie he does a totally different role than the usual slapstick comedy type of thing. See this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382/

If you haven't seen this movie, you might not understand this comments. Here comes a *SPOILER*:

Once the main character finds out that he's living in an artificial world, that the sky and limits of the sea, are cardboard and painted. He realizes with shock that nothing in his life was ever real. All his friends and even family members where paid actors....it is sad and dramatic to see this movie now, through this "lense" of awareness! It helps to step out of yourself and see what has been going on with your life...

What do you think about this movie? Any thoughts? Have you seen other good movies that are a good analogy to the WTBTS?

Trojan.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

You know, now that I think of it, I would imagine that the experience that the title character in "The Truman Show" would be remarkably similar to that of a JW who'd just realized that what he/she'd know all his/her life was a lie and wrong and how much they'd missed out on.

I actually really enjoy that movie, I should get my JW boyfriend to watch it with me sometime. Could make for some great conversation - "Wow, I wonder what it's like to really have that happen, to find out that everything in your life was fake??"

"The Village" I didn't especially like, but I can see the similarities there, too, with the lies and the fear techniques.

Any other good "WTS-like" movies out there??

-Becka :)

• Dune
    Dune

Yup, great movie.

But if i had to decide. i'd say a movie like equilibrium was more like the JW situation (or then again, i just liked equilibrium's action scenes)

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Wow! I knew there was a reason I loved that movie so much. The weird thing is that my JW husband loves it even more. Maybe I'll have to use that movie in referring to how I felt when I came out. Tell me more about "The Island."

I'm bad at remembering the names of movies, but there was this movie about these older teens that are watching like Ozzie and Harriet or something like that and are sucked back into that life. They see that there is emotional turmoil everywhere but is never talked about openly. Then one day someone breaks the status quo and gives into their desires. Suddenly they are no longer "in black and white" but have become technicolor; they are shunned.

That movie reminds me of JWs because the weak and vulnerable are attracted to the supposed "paradise" that exists in the org...then when they are fully entrenched they see that it is little more than good PR. Everyone still has the same problems but they just can't talk about it. Then they can't get out of the black and white world without risking being painted as a traitor.

HS

• TopHat
    TopHat

"Logan's Run"

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The Truman Show, great movie. Yes, it`s an analogy for JW-world, except: On planet JW, everybody are like the main character in the Truman show. Oh, perhaps some at the top. The GB and their lawyers, they would be the director and producers (in the moon, ha ha ;o).

Another great movie with JW--overtones, hm...maybe Poltergeist. Or The Exorcist. Or Terminator 2.

(it`s late, I had a couple of beers...)

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

That would be Pleasantville, hartstrings. Toby Maguire and Reese Witherspoon, with William H. Macy as a very Elder-like villain.

My favourite part of The Truman Show was the ending, when he turns his back on the show's creator and walks out the door into the real world. A little overwrought, but a good metaphor.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I rented this movie for my elderly mother to watch...I kept having to pause it as she was so overcome with emotion on seeing how it fit the JW mentality. We only made it about 3/4's of the way through!!! She broke down crying and I didn't want her to have a heart attack or anything! It is very powerful for a JW to watch that is in the fading process!!!

Swalker

• Frog
    Frog

I was just about to say when I saw your thread that the Island as you also mentioned had the same effect on me that the Truman show did re relating it to experiences of coming out of cult mind control. I only recently re-watched the Truman show and saw in it many things I didn't see the first time (when I was still a dub). The Island was a pretty cheasy Hollywood movie, but it is very well written in the sense that it stays very true to the real experiences of coming out of any high control group. excellent post :) x

• hideme
    hideme

Yes... I love that movie! Now I understand why. :-) I saw Stepford wives, too. I liked it, but it was not the best movie ever for me. But it's a good example, indeed of JW's world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit