Regarding the Pledge of Allegiance....

by Princess 24 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

As Becka already stated we don't have a pledge of allegiance to our flag, just the national anthem.

It was stressed every September from the platform though that as JW children we would not disrespect the flag, for example, and yes I am serious, by spitting on it! When was the last time you heard of a Canadian spitting on a flag!?

As a child the society kept on changing their minds with what we were supposed to do during the singing of the anthem. When I first started school I think we stood but didn't sing, then around grade 4 we had to leave the room and stand in the hallway, then that changed again around junior high and we stayed in the room but remained seated. Probably trying to determine what option would be the most embarrassing for us kids.

Dams

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here it is. This is what the Society proposed as an acceptable substitute of the Flag Pledge:

"I have pledged my unqualified allegiance and devotion to Jehovah, the Almighty God, and to His Kingdom, for which Jesus commands all Christians to pray.

"I respect the flag of the United States and acknowledge it as a symbol of freedom and justice for all.

"I pledge allegiance and obedience to all the laws of the United States that are consistent with God's law, as set forth in the Bible" (Watchtower, 15 February 1941, p. 60).

What do you think? I was quite surprised to see the "respect the flag" line, and that the Society proposed something for kids to say, rather than just stand there silent looking stupid. But how would it sound to have a Witness child say something different than everyone else in the class?

• gumby
    gumby

Leolaia...perhaps this is where my mom came up with the compromising idea for us kids to just put our hand over our hearts during the pledge but instead say a prayer to Jehovah instead of recite the pledge. This way, nobody knew any different. This was in the very early sixties.

I can't remember what I did when they would ask various students to start the class of with the pledge and they asked me. I prolly said the first line then when everyone else started I went to the prayer.

Gumby

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Just stopped by to say hi to Princess and Steve.

I say the pledge of allegiance to the makers of Bombay Saphire gin if that helps. With liberty and free drinks for all.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    But how would it sound to have a Witness child say something different than everyone else in the class?

Dumb, which is what most of their alternative suggestions end up sounding like. About on par with their suggestion at one time to change the calendar names of months and days of the week because they are named after pagan gods.

But frankly it doesn't sound worse than being asked to leave your seat and stand outside the classroom while the class recites the pledge, which is what the teachers made me do year after year. The teachers thought we were very disrespectful and unpatriotic so I guess it was their way of expressing their displeasure. The dumbest and stupidest rule was not standing for the National Anthem. It caused me so much grief in school and with my father, an Air Force officer.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't know anything about the topic either but I want to say hi as well!

Sherry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Also note this other interesting factoid:

"When Judge Rutherford once during a speech insisted brethren were wrong who treated the flag as a mere rag and continued with the remark that, 'Jehovah's witnesses love their flag,' he was met with wild applause" (Theodore Sprague [1946], "The 'World' Concept among Jehovah's Witnesses," Harvard Theological Review, 39 (2): 131).

LOL!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

We don't salute the flag or utter some oath in NZ. Respect is given to the flag at international sports matches I guess. I think that most NZers see saluting or reciting something as a bit 'American" and fanatical. We find the patriotism as shown in movies with brass bands and marching girls a bit stomach churning!

This probably reflects our more relaxed attitude to life and the belief that "she'll be right".

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

We don't salute the flag or utter some oath in NZ. Respect is given to the flag at international sports matches I guess. I think that most NZers see saluting or reciting something as a bit 'American" and fanatical. We find the patriotism as shown in movies with brass bands and marching girls a bit stomach churning!

This probably reflects our more relaxed attitude to life and the belief that "she'll be right".

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well, damn it all. That happened after we left. Fun party..............great shots. I think we are too old to stay up that late. I turn into a pumpkin long before midnight.

As to the pledge, I know I've heard the pledge other countries have, but not sure if it's as dogmatically enforced as the one for this country.

I am still uncomfortable saying it, so usually just stand with my hand on my heart, but I sing out for the National Anthem. I just love it, but I love Canada's more. Now, that's a great anthem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit