Regarding the Pledge of Allegiance....

by Princess 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

At our monthly poker party the other night, things were going well until my brother "went to the bad place" as my friend Julie says. Julie's husband is a second grade teacher and during a discussion about the daily flag salute, he mentioned he has not led his class in the flag salute all year. He was never a dub, just doesn't believe in children being forced to recite a pledge at such a young age. This set my brother off and he got fairly nasty (or so I was told, I had consumed too many jello shots so the whole evening is fuzzy). My brother was first df'd as a teen and spent many years out, in, and back out again. The last time he was reinstated, he never attended again. He is now a pain in the ass conservative republican (not that there's anything wrong with that) who doesn't know when or where it's appropriate to talk politics. Definitely not when drunk...and he was.

So, it got me thinking (the next day, mind you) do other countries have a pledge or flag salute like we do in the US? I honestly have no idea, nor has anyone I've asked.

My brother has since apologized and everything is fine. Despite not remembering huge chunks of the evening, I still did well in poker and somewhere around 2am we gave up and split the pot three ways.

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic, for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

What other countries salute their flags?

• gumby
    gumby
    we gave up and split the pot three ways.

And I wasn't included? Damn....always missin out on stuff. Oh...was you talkin bout money?

Hiya princess gal....been thinkin of you and Steve and that I need to call you two.

Good question about the flag salute. I always wondered the same thing....till I just read this morning unclebruce mentioning his chilhood and what he went through with the "flag salute" in his country. I can't remember what it's called there, but it seems others have their pledge. Me....I think it's a stupidass thing for kids to HAVE to do every school day. Why? It's cultish to me. People who say the pledge are going to act as they do with or without a pledge of 'allegiance'.

Psssst.....don't tell yer meanass brother I said what I did either or I'll never get to see you guys cuz he'll kick me arse...........the big mean bastard!

Hugs to you ya knucklehead

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Did you know that the Society came up with a substitute Pledge of Allegiance in the 1940s? This was to be uttered by kids in the classroom while the other kids were saluting the flag.

If you're intersted, I'll try to find the quote....it's pretty interesting.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    So, it got me thinking (the next day, mind you) do other countries have a pledge or flag salute like we do in the US? I honestly have no idea, nor has anyone I've asked.
    What other countries salute their flags?

Not Canada.

I don't know about other countries, but here, we don't have anything that resembles a "pledge of allegiance". Sure, we'll stand for the national anthem, but we don't salute the flag and we don't pledge allegiance to it, either.

-Becka :)

• happyout
    happyout

Leolaia, I would love it if you could find the society's alternative pledge. Sounds fascinating.

Thanks,

Happyout

• Princess
    Princess
    we gave up and split the pot three ways.

And I wasn't included? Damn....always missin out on stuff. Oh...was you talkin bout money?

Yeah, sorry to mislead!

Hiya princess gal....been thinkin of you and Steve and that I need to call you two.

We've been thinking about you too. Sure wish you lived closer.

Psssst.....don't tell yer meanass brother I said what I did either or I'll never get to see you guys cuz he'll kick me arse...........the big mean bastard!

My lips are sealed...besides, he's a good guy to keep around. He has good "connections".

Hugs to you ya knucklehead

and Hugs right back

If you're intersted, I'll try to find the quote....it's pretty interesting.

I'd love to see it. I had no idea.

Not Canada.

Thanks!I

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

*waves heartily at Princess*

I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello!

• Princess
    Princess

Hi Andi!

I guess I just don't post enough to get people to read my threads. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Besides, now I know Canada doesn't have a pledge.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's an obscure fact, but I was in the middle of reading The Devil in the White City, and aparently the pledge of allegience (sp) was written by a journalist in responce to the Dedication Day of the World's Fair at Chicago, 1892. He was so taken with the patriotism of the event that he was inspired to write something that all the children of the nation could "give" back to their country. So anyway, the government adopted it and sent copies out to every school.
    With that said, I remember how hard it was to be a good jw kid and not salute the flag and at the same time not incur the wrath of my peers.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

In school we had to salute the flag. (of course as a good JW child I did not and was given crap for it from teachers and classmates). There was no pledge that we said with it however.

There used to be a pledge I guess you would call it called the National Salute. Students saluted the flag and gave the National Salute at least once a week. To salute the flag they turned their heads and directed their eyes to the flag. The boys saluted with their right hand and the girls bowed.

In the National Salute the students placed their right hand over their left breast palm open but with finger and thumb close together and said together with a distinct pause after each sentence:
    I am an Australian
    I love my country
    I honour her King
    I salute her flag
    I promise cheerfully to obey her laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit