Doctor who?

by IP_SEC 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• neverin
    neverin

Hi Leolaia, the third series did indeed start last night (Uk time) and did not disappoint. No spoilers here, but Martha did indeed hold her own and was in no way set up as a replacement for Rose. The Dr obviously 'loved' Rose in his own way but it seems that this relationship with Martha is on a more intellectual level. I was worried at first that they would skirt over the fact that Freema Agyeman had been in the show before, but they explained it away quite believably. Really looking forward to the rest of the series and the return of Torchwood, which itself is an excellent show.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, let's get some discussion on the series finale airing on Saturday! So....who are the Toclafane and what is the Master up to? My mind is swimming with different theories. The Toclafane sound like the Gelth, but that seems too obvious. Could they be the humans from Year 100 Trillion that were sent to Utopia, that would be very devious? They just sure as hell better not be Daleks....we've had enough of them. But I wonder if the plot device from "Evolution of the Daleks" would be introduced here, with the Master recreating the race of Time Lords from cloning the DNA from the Doctor's hand. Any other ideas?

I was disappointed this season by the quality of the writing....after "Shakespeare Code" it went downhill with "Gridlock" and just kept sucking and sucking worse and worse imho, reaching a real low point with "42". But then it got wonderful with "Human Nature", "Family of Blood" and especially with the splendid "Blink" (can Steven Moffatt do no wrong?). I liked the last two episodes but they suffered imho from cramming too much stuff in, making them feel very rushed.

I watched through Torchwood series one and was pretty disappointed. So melodramatic, overwrought, and I could only think about how incompetent, unprofessional, and childish these Torchwood personnel were. They seemed more interested in shagging each other and blowing up at each other about relationships than doing their &%$@#'n jobs. Ianto endangering everyone in the "Cyberwoman" episode and Owen opening the Rift in the "Captain Jack Harkness"/"End of Days" episodes seemed especially beyond the pale, but heck, even in the first episode we learned that Torchwood spawned their own serial killer in their staff. I did like that episode somewhat, but other than "Ghost Machines" and maybe "Captain Jack Harkness", everything else seemed pretty dreadful.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Local PBS started playing this a few months ago, and I researched the new
    Doctor Who, to discover that it was started in 2005. This made me wonder,
    and sure enough, the first two years are already available on NETFLIX DVD.

I have already watched most of the first season. Good stuff.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Anyone in the UK watching the show now?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Bumping this again in case someone is watching the show....

• rassillon
    rassillon

Hey Leolaia, I have been watching Doctor Who since I was a little kid in the early 80's. I was instantly a fan. I am a Tom Baker fan. Most favor the first doctor they watch. I like the new series a lot. I liked the first new doctor and find it hard to understand why people didn't like him as much. David Tennant(sp?) has grown on me. He is a wee fellow but he seems to be able to project a big confident doctor as we all know Doctor Who is. I too have been disappointed with some of the episodes this season. 42 seemed like filler to me and so did the take on the Pilot fish ep. Are they already running out of ideas. I just saw blink...and that was really good. Great concept. The one thing that didn't make any sense was the writing on the wall that said Duck Now. I understand how he knew all the other stuff, but that part lost me. I have a couple of eps to watch yet. Oh, yeah, I am a big fan of Freema. G**D**M She is hot. Sorry but black women with english accents are my weakness. I would fly to england for the weekend just for a date with her. Damn. And I am a person who doesn't like celebrities.... If anyone can give me the hookup, let me know. I want to make some babies ;) Ok, enough of my drooling.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

rassillon...Yeah I figured you were a fan from your nick. :) I enjoyed last series a lot but it was hit and miss..."42" was one of the worst and "Blink" was one of the best. Big things are in store this series.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay SO THOSE WHO SAW THE NEW EPISODE LAST NIGHT, what you think?

To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. The Adipose were super silly. Looked like they would appeal to the under 5 set. And the flow of the story was a bit uneven towards the end. But it sure had me laughing out loud in hysterics in the scene when Donna and the Doctor finally saw each other. And what a surprise in the last few minutes!

BTW, how about Torchwood? I am sooooo sad over the finale. I can't believe it -- I know I am really going to miss her, and the final message was especially poignant. Great series, btw, far better than the first one.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I watched Doctor Who religiously as a kid. (Am I allowed to say that? Religiously? LOL) A lot of people like Tom Baker. But Peter Davidson was always The Man to me. Loved those cliffhangers, cheesy as the show was. I wanted to go into that Tardis and leave this boring planet.

• Superslave
    Superslave

Re torchwood....Oh my god two dead :o( How can we cope without Owen? Ok how am I gonna cope without Owen:/

Re Dr Who....My son thought it was cool. I wasn't that fussed by the story but when Donna saw the Dr & they had that conversation through the windows That was very funny. What the hell is going on at the end???? WTF?? Rose? Where did she go??

Christopher Eccleston was so fantastic as the Dr & I was angry when he left after one series but he doesn't want to get type casted as the Dr fot the rest of his career. He's a true L u v v i e!!! Mmmmmmmmm

David tennent is very cool as the Dr. Although he's a bit skinny...don't ya think??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit