God not only condoned mass murder, he ordered it

by Kent 89 Replies latest jw friends

• no1youknow
    no1youknow

Hi Rex,

I’m not sure who you were addressing your last comments to, but I hope no one minds if I respond to them.

The original point I was making was speculation about God's intent, the veracity of those who wrote the accounts and the fact that the Amalekites....and mankind, have brought their own judgement about.

Yes, and I agreed with you as far as the veracity of the writers. I think they made up the part about God telling them to kill babies. It seems we can both agree on that. So why continue to argue about it?

I admit that there are things we'd like clarified but we have the example of Jesus Christ and His life on earth to show us what God is really like. He is the 'exact representation of God'.

So, are you saying that Jesus’ personality proves that God could not have ordered the killing of babies? If so, the Bible is not true when it says God ordered the killing of babies. If the Bible is not true, how do you know what Jesus’ personality was, assuming that the Bible is your source for that information? This appears to be circular reasoning to me, unless you are contending that the “Old Testament” is only true insofar as it reflects the spirit of the “New Testament”. But that is another whole debate, because how do you decide what the “spirit of the New Testament” is? Using this method I could easily claim that God did indeed order the killing of children in the OT by quoting Jesus’ character from the NT:

Rv:2:23: And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

So, now do we have to say that we don’t believe Revelation is true either? Do we end up just picking and choosing which parts of the Bible we like (the very few parts which aren’t immoral)? Aren’t we then proving that we ourselves know what is right and wrong without having to look it up in a book? Then why not throw out the book?

It is not me, or ex-JW-atheists in general creating a "no win situation" for you: it is your own self-contradictory stance which does this.

Your, nor any other created being can judge your creator and His actions.

But I already have, and so have you. I judged the God of the Bible’s actions as cruel, you judged them as okay (if accurately reported). Whenever you call God “good” you have judged him.

I don't know you but I have seen numerous other examples of ex-JWs turned atheist and the mantra is always the same, "Why does God allow or do, this and that"?

Well, it’s not only ex-JW’s-turned-atheists who ask these questions. Every sane individual who has ever thought about the idea of God has asked these questions. I have yet to hear a good answer. Predestination is not an acceptable answer to most people. I’m glad you’ve found comfort in it, though.

It's also a moot point since Jesus Christ lived, was killed, resurrected and confirmed His deity. Therefore any objection or scientific claim against scripture is already in error.

I don’t follow that at all, nor do I understand what it has to do with the topic under discussion.

Would it have been some comfort to the mothers of the murdered babies to know, as they watched them being run through with swords, that hundreds of years later someone named Jesus would live, die, resurrect, etc.? I doubt it.

Why does it make the question of evil “moot” to think that Jesus “confirmed his deity”? It doesn’t make evil any less evil. If Jesus’ death was supposed to end evil, why is it still here? I don’t see how this answers anything.

If we already agreed that the Bible is in error in reporting that God ordered the killing of babies, then how can we now state that “any objection… against scripture is in error”? This seems to be a contradiction.

How do you KNOW that Jesus did these things? Isn’t it all just based on a book that we have already agreed is in error? Who told you that this book is true? Is it possible that, as human beings, they could have been mistaken? Don’t you think it makes sense to investigate the matter objectively rather than concluding that all objections against it are “already in error”? Wouldn’t this be having the “open mind” that you ask us to cultivate?

The miraculous advent in the outermost fringe of the Roman Empire would not have stirred up humanity without being true. He would have been forgotten, just as several other Jewish 'messiahs' were!

Well, there were many reasons why Christianity spread, and none of them have anything to do with it being based on truth. Santa Claus is widely believed in too: some myths persist (especially when they serve ulterior motives), but some people see them for what they are.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

This discussion contains a wide variety of information. I for one, am increasingly more skeptical and critical of bibliophilia and religious information in general.

I do understand I have more research and reading to complete, in order to improve my scientific understanding of evolution and the universe. But, on the opposite end, I am finding very little improvement to keep the "flame" of faith burning in my personal life.

I can only hope that if there are answers to these questions, I hope I live long enough to find solid, reasonalbe, logical proof for myself and my family and friends. I also hope that I find out sooner, rather than later that this journey of discovery is a waste of life's most precious commodity-time!

Right now, I am leaning away from religion.

• dubla
    dubla

no1-

you claimed i was way out of place for calling your remarks "ridiculous" the last time, but i cant help it, i have to use the word again. this comparison seems awfully ridiculous to me.....

Well, there were many reasons why Christianity spread, and none of them have anything to do with it being based on truth. Santa Claus is widely believed in too...

would you really have us believe that number 1, santa claus is really that "widely believed in"(we must be counting children here), and number 2, this myth is a valid comparison to the reasons people believe in jesus? um, give me a break.

aa

• no1youknow
    no1youknow

Jdubla,

Ok, I can see an incidental comment I made threatens to derail this important topic again... I don't want to get off the topic, and I don't want all the rest of my last posting lost to this petty debate. But, I stand by my statement, and will defend it (and hopefully there's an end, even if you still think it ridiculous).

Yes, I am counting children as believers in Santa Claus. And, yes, I think belief in Santa is very comparable to belief in God. The former most people grow out of, the latter some people do not. There are many striking similarities between the two, and just as much reason to believe in one as the other (since both reportedly break the laws of nature).

Who "sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake"? Both.

Who rewards you for "being good"? Both.

Who is considered a benevolent "father figure"? Both.

Who is depicted as an old man with a white beard, though no one has ever really seen him? Both.

Who has been known to fly through the air on a magical conveyance? Both (see Ezekiel).

Who is intimately connected with the observance of Christmas? Both.

Who is capable of granting everyone’s wishes on a single night? Both.

Who lives in a place uninhabitable by mere mortals, surrounded by half-human creatures with magical abilities? Both.

Whose existence is taught to children by their parents in the hope that it will make them behave? Both.

Whose existence defies the laws of common sense? Both.

Could all of the above questions be answered the same way for any other two entities (other than “gods”)? None spring to my mind.

One big difference between them (to bring us back to the topic at hand) is that Santa never hurt a child or a baby, whereas Jehovah, well, you know…

• dubla
    dubla

no1-

i appreciate you not wanting to get too sidetracked on this one..... personally i have no stance on the original debate, so im just pointing out things as i go (sometimes when something strikes me as funny, i just have to comment). we dont have to stretch this way out, but i will clarify what i was saying. again, thank you for the lengthy reply, and all the reasons why santa and god are similar. i think that although these are very cute analogies, they bear zero signifigance to the question i asked. let me repeat my question, then ill explain.......

would you really have us believe that....this myth is a valid comparison to the reasons people believe in jesus?

here i was referring to the "reasons" people believe in jesus vs. the "reasons" santa claus is believed in, which is what your first post was indicating.....namely that the spread of christianity could be likened to the myth of santa claus. i wasnt actually asking if santa and god were similar, though it may be a humorous little comparison (sort of like those, "why your beer is better than your woman" posters). i think the "reasons" people believe in jesus (bible writings, being backed up by the reasons people believe the bible to be true, i.e, fulfilled prophesies, etc.), are very different then the "reasons" children believe in santa (because their parents deliberately decieve them, and they arent old enough to know better yet), and it would be "ridiculous" to propose that they bear any resemblance whatsoever. hopefully this helps clear up my statements/questions.

aa

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    Well, there were many reasons why Christianity spread

Here is the most prelevant and common reason christianity spread:

• sf
    sf

None of "it" makes sense. And that's the state of mind I claim. If that's a risky state, then so be it!

sKally, www klass

• kilroy
    kilroy

OT mass murdering and baby killings aside, looking at these drawings of torture in the name of "Our Lord" are just sickening. Did Jesus order this? There had to be a lot of thought and design put into these horrible instruments of torture and the carrying out of this stuff by good Christians. Who could stand and watch these tortures?

Where was Jesus? Didn't this stuff take place because those Christians could not go along with what was being preached in the Catholic church? "I will die defending my Lord! But where in the hell is he?"

Kilroy

• no1youknow
    no1youknow

Jdubla,

I don't mind you finding humor in my posts, it is intentional, since I don't take religion seriously.

If I am long-winded, it's because you didn't seem to get my short-winded comment, and now I must explain in greater detail.

I am surprised that, since you claim to be on neither side, you never find anything the BELIEVERS say ridiculous. I know I do, but I prefer to keep the discussion civil and debate with logic rather than dismissive labels.

But I really do think that most people who believe in the God of the Bible do so for exactly the same reasons they believed in Santa Claus when they were children. Both ideas were pounded into their heads by those they trusted, and they thought that such beliefs would be personally beneficial (presents at Christmas or heaven after death). I don't think that anyone would come up with either belief on their own: both are too far-fetched. They are both taught to children as truth. The difference is that at some point children discover that they are expected to grow out of the one belief, but not the other.

Ask the average Joe on the street why he believes in the God of the Bible, and I don't think he'll cite "fulfilled prophecy" as his reason. I think he'll say, "because that's what I was brought up to believe." How many times did we hear that at the doors?

I think the God of the Bible is like the adult version of Santa Claus. But, unfortunately, he is a VERY BAD Santa! (Like Andy in those pizza commercials).

BTW: I never said you were "out of place," you said this about yourself in your own post:

i was WAY off base here

Maybe you can add that to your list of ridiculous things said on the board: someone quoting themselves and attributing it to someone else! :-)

• dubla
    dubla

no1-

i was WAY off base here

Maybe you can add that to your list of ridiculous things said on the board: someone quoting themselves and attributing it to someone else! :-)

sarcasm is lost on the unintelligent.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit