Locks of Love--Can you ever imagine JWs doing such a thing?

by rebel8 50 Replies latest social current

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I have about 7 or 8 inches right now. I am sure by Sept or Oct I will have 10 inches cut off.

Yanno, Brooke, I just noticed that the hair from the front isn't as long as the hair in back and the measurement I took comes up to my scalp at the neckline, so I'm gonna guestimate that mine needs to grow about the same as yours does so I don't wind up being scalped for it. I'd rather be left with at least a chin-length when they take the tail. It'll be easier to grow out all one length next time, too.

This is the first time in my adulthood I've ever grown my hair this long.

Frannie

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

""Another example of something the jws would never do....""

Why not? There is no scriptual reason to prevent them.

Or is that just your opinion? Would you be surprised to find out that you are wrong, that some have indeed done just that?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

What would happen though if any JW's tried to officially organize something in a local cong to contribute to a cause like this, even going so far as to pin something on the bulletin message board about it?

In JW-land, what isn't sanctioned, is forbidden.

"Sister Meanswell, while certainly this is a worthy cause, our main concern as Jerhover's people is the preaching of the Guud Gnus...if you want to participate individually, we don't have a problem with that..."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

How can they pick this one apart? There is nothing pagan about wanting to help children with cancer to feel better about themselves. If they do ban it, it's one of those petty things that will make some individual witnesses think.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Would you be surprised to find out that you are wrong, that some have indeed done just that?

Personally, I'd be underwhelmed. Ya see.....it'd just be one little bitty drop in a BIG EMPTY BUCKET of charitable acts done by them.

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

They wouldn't do it for recognition as JWs, they would donate as individuals, same as anyone else. When I said earlier that the sisters donated their hair in my name, it was their personal protest to the brothers complaints about my being bald. What the sisters did was never mentioned publicly, but the brothers stopped nagging me about it. So maybe those sisters did do a couple of good things.

• carla
    carla

Well Go Sisters! an underground movement in a facist, woman hating organization! You go girls!

Good grief, they had to do that to make a statement to the brothers to leave a bald woman with cancer alone? what a loving arrangement.

• codeblue
    codeblue

One of my daughter - n -laws donated her waist length hair to Locks of Love.....so don't be so quick to judge all JW's.

I was very proud of her when I found out she donated her beautiful waist length blonde hair for Locks of Love.

She is a very kind, thoughtful young lady.

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

I have also known some sisters who have donated to Locks of Love.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Beep Beep & Co.

I am glad to hear some dubs have donated their hair so obviously my statement they would never do it was incorrect. I hereby revise it to "MOST jws would never do it". I will be more careful to speak in legalese from now on.

I wanted to be involved in charity work when I was a dub and it was prohibited. I remember wanting to do a walkathon and since my dad was an evil unbeliever, my mother left the decision to the elders as usual. I had to ask the elders' permission, and of course they said no, it would be better to use that time to stay home and read the Youth book. So I guess raising money to save a wildlife refuge from development....by taking a walk in the park......was much worse than sitting on the couch reading the same exact teachings I was already familiar with. To this day I have never personally known even one JW who participated in a charity; it was/is prohibited here. Keep in mind I live in WT NY state, so maybe the proximity to the mother org made my experience different than yours.

My belief that dubs are rarely involved in charities has been borne out by the many experiences of others, not the least of which was the insular "dubs only" response the JWs had to the horrible hurricanes in the South.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit