Locks of Love--Can you ever imagine JWs doing such a thing?

by rebel8 50 Replies latest social current

• rebel8
    rebel8

Today hundreds of people are volunteering their hair for an org that provides wigs to cancer pts. It is truly something to see. The Today Show in NYC had a few folks allow their long hair to be cut for donation and there are hundreds in another locale doing the same. There are even little kids doing it!

Another example of something the jws would never do....what a great thing to do that impacts someone's life now, instead of convincing yourself you are giving them valuable spiritual truths that will help them later.

Story: http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/402313.html

• carla
    carla

That is such a nice gesture, isn't it? I know a lady who her hair grows really fast and donates as soon as it is long enough. I have a male cousin who started growing his hair long, his parents think below the collar is long! He said he was donating it so all is well now!! ha! He will donate it when long enough but he also gets to wear his hair long without hassles from the parents. A win-win situation.

• Scully
    Scully

Imagine if you had a Brother™, an Elder™ or Ministerial Servant™ perhaps, whose wife had cancer, and he decided to grow his hair and donate it to this cause.

I wonder what would happen to his Privileges™?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Millions now dead dispensed Watchtower Truth™ that foretold the end of this system in a few months or years.

They had more important work to do than helping ease someone's life.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have to re-post a rant related to this subject:

The Tammy Faye thing was just a joke, we all know Jimmie is buried under the end zone of the Giants stadium.

On the sad reality side, though, was a sister that I knew in an adjoining congregation many years ago. She was an outstandingly attractive lady, but she was getting up into late 40 - early 50 age. So, she goes out secretively to have a face lift. During the operation, the anaesthesiologist somehow botches the job, and lets her go without oxygen long enough to put her basically brain dead like the Terri Shiavo case. Now, next of kin was a JW and of course they cannot let her go, so starts a long vigil in the vegetative state. What was even more sad was the often-repeated comment by many of the elders "see - this all happened because of this sister's vanity"...using this tragedy as a lesson to beat up on the women in their congregations on makeup and appearance.

Another disgusting case I personally knew of was a very beautiful late 30's new convert who was platinum blond from when she started coming to the hall for about a year. She then shows up in a jet black full wig, and naturally gets hammered for it. She goes into a crying fit, and pulls it off right in front of the elder jerks, to show them that she is all the way bald. The platinum blond was also a wig; she was undergoing chemo-therapy for cancer and she thought the black would be LESS flashy than the blond. She had actually started coming to the meetings because of her condition (to please husband who was sort of an inactive witness guy) and because she knew she did not have much time left. She passed away about a year or so later. I wonder if the pig that did this ever feels guilty over it.

Done ranting...James

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Actually

The daughter of the presiding overseer in my hall did this. She had the most beautiful brown hair and once she got it to a certain length she did the locks of love thing.

meagan

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I do know of a witness woman who had to get a second or third kidney transplant. She has several things wrong with her and had really long hair. She decided to cut her hair off since it would be easier to maintain, and had it donated to a place like that.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    valuable spiritual truths that will help them later

Later...I never liked that kind of help.

If my hair was long enough, this is definately something I would do.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'm letting mine grow long right now for the "locks of love" effort. I just don't know how long it needs to be. It's mid-shoulder blades right now. Anyone know how long it needs to be?

Frannie

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

frannie,you need to be able to donate 10 inches..whata doll you are!!!!what a nice thing to do!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit