Exploring new options for the first time

by SickofLies 42 Replies latest members private

• delilah
    delilah

Welcome, SoL....enjoyed your rant...I think the elders, as well as the society, are genuinely afraid of those who opt to get a higher education, because they realise that it's only a matter of time before the scales fall off their eyes, and they begin to see the "truth" for what it really is. A pack of lies. That, and the fact that they themselves may only have a highschool edumacation.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Welcome and thank you for telling your story! I enjoyed it very much!

-Lisabobeesa

• Purza
    Purza

Welcome. I enjoyed reading your story too -- glad you stuck up for yourself. This did catch my eye:

and that I was no longer allowed to go out in service anymore

My first thought was "lucky you", but I know that hard times are probably to come. Hang in there. Are your parents the type who will not speak to you if you do get DF'd?

Purza

• garybuss
    garybuss

Welcome!
    You wrote: I'm very torn at what to do right now, I don't want to live a life know to be a lie No you're not. You know what you have to do. You're playing with the Witness like a cat plays with a mouse:-) The lie is that you're financially independent and are free to piss off anybody you want without suffering financial setback. Reality is you maybe gotta kiss Witness butt and finish your education. Don't tell em you're smart. Show em. Beat em.
    Graduate, get a nice 80k a year job and then tell em to suck a rock.
    I'll argue with you about creation. :-)

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Welcome, welcome SoL! Well done you I'm wishing you all the best!

Poor fellas just can't handle it when someone opts to use "the brains God gave him"

You'll find that there's a few ex-jw's on this board that have gone from the JW frying pan straight to the Christian fundamentalist fire, and are even more strident and entrenched with their baseless creationist claims.

And you'll even find some ex-jw Christians on this board who are in no way entrenched in baseless creationist claims There's a wide variety of people here and I hope you'll stick around and get to know us all better.

~Merry

• hooberus
    hooberus
    You'll find that there's a few ex-jw's on this board that have gone from the JW frying pan straight to the Christian fundamentalist fire, and are even more strident and entrenched with their baseless creationist claims.

And you'll even find some ex-jw Christians on this board who are in no way entrenched in baseless creationist claims There's a wide variety of people here and I hope you'll stick around and get to know us all better.

Persons here may also find that not all Christians here have been affiliated with the JWs, nor are all creationist claims "baseless".
    http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/41/41_4/2005v41n4p318.pdf

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome SoL!

You are proof of why the WTS does not want it's members to get a higher education, you'll learn to think for yourself and see through their lies.

Shame on them good for you! I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing.

• evita
    evita

Hi SoL
    I'm surprised you got this far before being challenged by the elders! Your parents must be extremely liberal JW's to help you get to this level of education. Maybe they won't shun you after all?
    Anyway, enjoyed your story. Welcome to the board.
    Eva

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

WOW, my man you're a ROCK!

Firstly thank you SO much for that information, I'm tired of being a dumb ex-JW who doesn't know their biology from soap. I've swallowed all that stupid creation book info too, and it's embarassing.

Here's what I think you should do re being a witness; take things very, very slowly. Whose rules are broken by you being a witness for as long as it takes for you to work yourself out? Theirs. Are they important? I think you're working out that they're not. I think you should become a bit invisible for a bit; at least giving yourself the time and space to set yourself up, in case you do get the shove. It's brutal, and you need to be ready. Make it your time, not theirs.

Mind guilt, it's very destructive. Cheers.

• penny2
    penny2

Lucky you, working it out at only 26! I guess that's the advantage of an education. My advice would be try not to get d/f and definitely don't d/a yourself if you want to maintain a relationship with your family and friends. No need to play by their rules. Then again in your case, you might get that disgusted that in the end you'll feel you have no choice. It would be liberating to be able to speak your mind!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit