~Mormons Not Laughing About Polygamy Comedy~

by FlyingHighNow 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    What I want to know is what they do with the spare men? Geld them?

I know that teenaged boys are not allowed to handle the merchandise. If they fall into puppy love with any of the girls, it's just tough. I wonder if some of them leave the towns. If they have a lick of sense they will I suppose.

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun
    What I want to know is what they do with the spare men? Geld them?

Pretty much. People magazine did an article about it, a while back. They basically kick these boys out of the town and they're forced to fend for themselves or be homeless. A lot of these boys have been raised in secluded households and homeschooled, so they have no marketable training or education, and end up hustling or selling drugs to live.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

"To really understand it, somebody would really have to live it," she said. "Otherwise they'd have a difficult time grasping the complexities of the lifestyle and the abuse."

sound familiar?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh man, Gumby, how on earth did I miss your contribution here? I guess you and I posted about the same time.

they can a keep on carryin on the family line of horny baby Israelites is what I'm thinkin.

Will someone please explain to me what is so dadgummed important about men wanting to pass on their names or genes to babies? Thank you, Gummed one for a huge smile and some wonderful laughs. I'd give you a big old hug if I could. Lord knows I needed some laughter this afternoon. A ray of sunshine in my hour of darkness(Well, maybe more like a year of darkness.)

• greendawn
    greendawn

They are just another sect like the JWs and it is certain that their founder was a free mason. I also wonder how they managed to get away with polygamy, isn't it illegal in all the states of the US? Normally ppl will go straight to prison for bigamy let alone polygamy.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I also wonder how they managed to get away with polygamy, isn't it illegal in all the states of the US?

It is illegal here as is bygamy. The Mormon Church agreed to ban polygamy only so that Utah could be admitted to the Union that has now become known as the United States of America. Officially, the church has not said that polygamy is wrong, though main stream Mormons don't practice it, there are those sects that still practice it.

There are remote towns where polygamy is rampant among the Mormons who reside in them. How do they get away with it? Because the mayors, councilmen, police force and other powerful officials who run the towns are either polygamists or sympathetic to the practice. Really, Utah's governments are basically over run by politicians who are Mormon.

There was a time when outside government came in and tried to rescue girls in just such a town. It didn't turn out well and so no one has tried to intervene since then. Someone can probably provide a link for this story. I saw a movie about it, but cannot recall the name of the town.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    There are remote towns where polygamy is rampant among the Mormons who reside in them. How do they get away with it? Because the mayors, councilmen, police force and other powerful officials who run the towns are either polygamists or sympathetic to the practice. Really, Utah's governments are basically over run by politicians who are Mormon.

Let's be clear about this.... yes, the Mormons discontinued polygamy so that the state of utah could join the union, but it too was the case that that the federal govenment impounded their money and imprisioned some of their people. In the 1800's, as weird as it seems, there was NO civil law against polygamy, it was a "moral" law of the people. It became a federal law after the mormons were practicing it.

Secondly, in today's society you're talking about TWO distinct groups. The mainstream Mormons, (over 12 million members) and the comparatively small wacko polygamists, which some people use the phrase fundementalists.... they're the polygamist groups you see that are being reported in television programs. Yes, those small fundamentalist towns do have the politicians in their back pocket, because they too are polygamists...but we're talking VERY SMALL towns. The civil authorities in Utah (mostly mainstream Mormon) are going after the polygamists, and the mainstream Mormon church excommunicates anyone involved in polygamy. I think the FEDS should go into Southern Utah (where the fundies are) and clear them all out, but they tried that in the early 1950's and it backfired on them.... there was a huge outcry from Americans about the way the Feds treated them, even though they didn't like the practice.

• FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

For instance, Brigham Young had about fifty-six wives, many of whom maintained a platonic relationship with him; but he also had fifty-six children by nineteen of his connubial wives.

Jesus Christ - I struggle to keep one happy and satisfied - 56 - Fifty Six

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit