Neanderthal man

by scary21 77 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

I proposed a simple experiment awhile back

Draw a line between man and ape in the following series of skulls:

Religious people (And this includes JW's) almost always draw the line farther to the left than non-religious people.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Humans ARE apes, so there actually isn't a line :D
  • cofty
    cofty
    Neandertal on the other hand had a tool kit that stayed the same for 250,000 years

They were clearly bloody geniuses, I lose tools every 5 minutes when I fix my car!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

It should be noted that there are 'apes' like Australopithecine that walk upright like the Hominids that are descended from them.

As far as humans being apes there has to be a line of separation drawn between the two like the line that distinguishes apes from monkeys. The cumulative differences between us and our ancestors from apes is too great to share a common term.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Neanderthals were human, and your ex husband has not paid attention. He should read the Life and other books.
  • TD
    TD

"Neanderthal man (named after the Neander district in Germany where the first fossil was found) was undoubtedly human." (LIfe - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or By Creation? p. 95)

The publishers (JW's) were not presenting this as the view of "Some." This is their view, as it was part of their own argument that humans did not evolve from other hominids.

• cofty
    cofty
    Neanderthals were human

Why should we believe you rather than expert geneticists who can explain the specific differences that separate Homo neanderthalis from Homo sapien?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Just as a note, the spelling Neanderthal has been changed to Neandertal without the "h".
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cofty:

"Why should we believe you rather than expert geneticists who can explain the specific differences that separate Homo neanderthalis from Homo sapien?"

Cofty, while Neandertal is different than us he can still be considered 'human' in a more general sense of the word. Again, the use of the word human is somewhat arbitrary but that is why scientists use the word "Hominid" to refer to the family tree of humanity.

Perry on the other hand doesn't seem to realize that Neandertal is different enough from us to support evolutionary thinking. And then there's Homo Heidelbergensis, Homo Antecessor and Homo Erectus which he doesn't bring up since they don't fit into the Creationist mold.

• cofty
    cofty
    scientists use the word "Hominid" to refer to the family tree of humanity.

You mean hominin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit