Neanderthal man

by scary21 77 Replies latest jw friends

• scary21
    scary21

My ex husband and father of my daughter was never baptized but is still a believer in the WT.

A couple years ago we were talking about evolution ( which he does not believe in ) I brought up the subject of the Neanderthals and how we all have their DNA except Africans ( the ones that never left Africa )

He said Neanderthals are apes and not humans and JW's do not teach that they are humans. I said I believe they do.

In the Life- How did it get here book, under the sub heading " The Human Family "is says " Neanderthal man....... was undoubtedly human.. His response was " They are just talking about what OTHER people believe " ahhhhh

Am I missing something here ? Do JW's believe Neanderthal's were human ?

He brought the subject up again today. Please all you smart people out there ,help me help him.

Thank you, Sherry

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Science has looked at the genetics in like 2006 to prove once and for all Neanderthals were not human. Some religious groups claim that they were deformed humans as it bypasses the need to explain a species with intellect, communication, rituals, trade, tools, homes, jewellery..... Etc etc not mentioned in the bible.....

Your chap is suffering an education from the uneducated. The JW's have taught both and even that they don't exist, so of course he is confused. He needs to choose better teachers.

• zeb
    zeb

I saw a doco on Neanderthal site dug up in Spain. The burials there showed high level of care in the burying so not just apes at all. Also some material was taken that showed the deceased had different dna to homo sapiens!

Sorry i cant recall details of the doco.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

As a person who is fascinated by Paleoanthropology and vaguely remembers JW creationism I seem to recall, don't remember where, the Watchtower saying that Homo Erectus was the drawing line between humans and 'apes'.

If that is so then it should be said that Homo Erectus was more primitive than Neandertal with a brain capacity 30% less than ours.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a Neanderthal skeleton:

It obviously can't be 'just an ape', it's a type of human. If the WTS admits this, then the belief that humans are only ~6,000 years old becomes even sillier than it already is. According to the book Evolution: The Human Story by Dr Alice Roberts, H. neanderthalensis lived between 350,000 and 28,000 years ago.

Those pesky evolutionists with their satanic facts!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Homo Erectus, an ancestor to the Governing Body?

Homo erectus georgicus
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

It's still an area of active research. WT and their terribly flawed publications are hopelessly outdated.

I'd suggest that he do his own research. WT is going in a "dumbing down" direction, so if he is interested in the subject, he won't learning anything by only looking at everything through WT goggles.

A couple years ago we were talking about evolution ( which he does not believe in )

If he doesn't believe in evolution, which of the passengers on the ark was infected with AIDS, ebola, measles, smallpox, etc.? He needs to research both evolution and abiogenesis before he draws the line of what he does and doesn't believe in.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

scary21: Am I missing something here ?

Yes, JWs' have no critical thinking skills.

You canNOT reason with an unreasonable person. You might as well try to teach a pig to ice skate: it annoys the pig and makes you look stupid.

• Perry
    Perry

Australian Aborigines have a prominent brow ridge, a fact that helped lead Thomas Huxley to argue that Neanderthals were indeed human.EnlargePhoto credit: © Kerrie Kerr/iStockphoto

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    The Skeleton shown by LoveUniHateExams is interesting. The skull is not totally of a homo sapiens. It seems a transitional kind of homo erectus. What do you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit