Another Watchtower for JWs to 'beat eachother with'!

by Gill 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Making decisions for a JW is never simple. Every decision seems to be loaded with a 'what if' scenario and also, a 'what will people say' on top of that.

The April 15, 2006, is a classic for showing why the average JW is so messed up, it's amazing that he/she even knows what to put on in the morning!

'How can you make Decisions God's Way' is a classic for messing up, even the sanest head.

Page 14 of this article:

Take, for example, the decision a young man might face in choosing his hairstyle. No Bible command specifically condemns a certain hairdo. Yet, consider a Bible principle. The apostle Paul wrote: 'I desire the women to adorn themselves in well arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, but in the way that befits women professing to revernce God, namesly through good works.' (I Tim 2:9,10) Paul is here writing about women, but the principle applies to both men and women. What is the principle? Our appearance should reflect modesty and soundness of mind. So the young man can ask himself, 'Will my hairstyle reflect the modesty that befits a christian?'

And what helpful principle can a young person extract from the following words of the disciple James? 'Adultresses, do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God' Christians loathe the thought of being a friend of the world, which is at enmity with God. would the type of hairstyle that his peers are fond of make him seem to be a friend of God or a friend of the world? The young man pondering the question of hair style can use such Bible based principles in making a wise decision. Yes, divine principles help us make decisions. And when we become accustomed to making decisions based on godly principles, it gets easier to come to wise conclusions that do not have negative consequences.'

The 'supposed young man' was thinking about a 'hairstyle'. What 'negative consequences' could a person have from a hair cut?! There is a picture in this section of a young woman choosing between a long, 'grandma style' stripey skirt and a skirt that is probably above the knee! It is not a 'mini mini skirt' but definitly a shorter length to the other one. The question by the picture is 'How could Bible principles help her decide wisely?'

Unlike the ordinary man or woman, a JW has to get up in the morning and decide whether they might lose their 'eternal life' prospects if they wear the 'wrong skirt', have the 'wrong hairstyle', or in any way look 'worldly'!

No wonder so many JWs don't want to get out of bed in the morning and chose to opt out of the 'rat race' of life.

Another paragraph in this section shows are a JW has to consider the 'eternal life' of others when they get up in the morning to dress as well as their own 'eternal life'! What a stress! Here goes:

"Many have made such changes, and they consider others when making decisions, whether major or trivial. Paul wrote; ' You were, of course, called for freedom, brothers; only do not use this freedom as an inducement for the flesh, but through love slave for one another.' Gal 5:13. How can we do that? Consider a young girl who moved to a rural town to help people to learn about God's Word. As she talked to the people, she realised that her clothes, though modest by the standards of urban fashion, were becoming the talk of the town. Her dress and grooming were modest, yet she decided to wear clothes that were more subdued 'so that the word of God would not be spoken of abusively.'

How would you have reacted if you faced some decision about your grooming or another matter of personal taste? You can be sure that Jehovah will be pleased when you decisions reflect your concern for the conscience of others.'

Ah!! The 'Joys of Being a JW' and never being yourself....always pleasing the unpleaseable WTBTS!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Just like the WTS to strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls

But JWs are allowed to wear braids, gold, and pearls....another example of picking and choosing what to take literally.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    No Bible command specifically condemns a certain hairdo.

BUT the Bible provides PLENTY of direction on personal grooming. I wonder why these scriptures were ignored?

On the seventh day he must shave off all his hair; he must shave his head, his beard, his eyebrows and the rest of his hair. He must wash his clothes and bathe himself with water, and he will be clean. Lev 14:9

Priests must not shave their heads or shave off the edges of their beards or cut their bodies. Lev 21:5

Ah yes, ritual cleanness is done away with by Jesus' sacrifice. Sorry. Forgot.

• Gill
    Gill

Blondie - It's fine to join the UN, but you will lose your eternal life if you have a worldly hair cut or wear that above the knee skirt!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    would the type of hairstyle that his peers are fond of make him seem to be a friend of God or a friend of the world?

"Oh, look at that guy's hair style! He must be a friend of God!"

"Oh my, that other fellow's hair style shows he is dark-sided for sure."

*Snicker* I said 'dark-sided!' *Snicker*

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks for your replys!!

This was one of those mags that made me want to throw it on the floor, jump up and down on it in my boots, tear it to shreds and sacrifice it to pagan Gods on the barbecue!!!!

But I thought I'd discuss it with you guys first!!!

It brings back my memories of why I never knew what to wear, what to do, what job to do, what to eat, when to sleep, how to talk, when to talk..........

Oh the joys of freedom!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The apostle Paul wrote: 'I desire the women to adorn themselves in well arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, but in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely through good works.' (I Tim 2:9,10)

let me see if I got this right... this scripture is saying that it is OK for JWs to braid their hair, use gold, pearls and wear expensive business suits... but it is wrong for men to wear a hair style that is not even described in the Watchtower article itself.

How could anyone NOT conclude that this article is pure bull sht?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Friend of God? Of course, DUH! Look at his hair!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Friend of God or Friend of the World?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit