Kingdom Halls and the no windows thing...

by ObservingTexan 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan

Very first post. Go easy on me! I am not nor have I ever been a JW. I have recently met a young kid.....19 that I have become friends with. She's been DF'd, but still attends every Sunday blah, blah, blah. Nevertheless, I believe she's open to the truth about what the JW's are really about. I'll save that part for another time. I have been reading up extensively on JW's and the do's and don't's on opening up their minds. You guys know the drill. At some point well have a talk.

My question though is this. Down here in central Texas every KH I have ever driven by has NO windows. Is there some logical reasoning to this?

Thanks....... Joe

• daystar
    daystar

They are a bit paranoid about apostates is about the only one I can think of at the moment.

How many churches do you know that have clear paned windows opening into the main religious service area though? Not many.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum, I have no idea why they dislike windows unless there are many vandals around that like smashing them.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hey ObservingTexan, welcome to the board!! From one non-JW to another, I'm glad you're here!! Stick around and ask lots of questions, and don't worry about asking something that seems to obvious, I've been kicking around here for a couple of months now and I still ask really dumb stuff sometimes, but nobody here minds, they're good people.

Hmm, I've heard lots about KHs not having any windows - I think it might have something to do with cost, maybe?? I know that they usually do KHs as "quick-builds", usually as a weekend thing, so it's probably just easier and cheaper to not have any windows.

I don't know about the rest of the KHs in Newfoundland, but in my hometown, the KH actually has windows. They're not big, but they're there. Thing is - I lived there for the first 18 years of my life, and the only time I've ever seen any lights on there was when I was home for Christmas. Not many JWs in these parts, thank God.

Again, feel free to ask anything here, OT, and stick around, you'll learn lots!!

-Becka :)

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

There are only a few floor plans for kingdom halls in the South Cen TX Region. They are all built without windows mostly to keep the cost and build time down. Also windows are seen as distracting during meetings. People would rather look outside instead of pay attention.

Our old hall had a few windows in the back. The new hall has no windows except in the entry and we had to fight the RBC for those.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Hmm, I never really noticed that until you brought it up, but most of the congregations I've been to in Wisconsin don't have windows either. Not even on the doors. I'm not sure why that is. I might have to ask my parents that question. Maybe they will give me an answer from the "Governing Body."

• Poztate
    Poztate
    My question though is this. Down here in central Texas every KH I have ever driven by has NO windows. Is there some logical reasoning to this?

Yep..It makes them harder to fire bomb or have windows broken by pissed off people. (cheaper to build also)

It also controls those inside. No looking out and wishing you were some place else.

I think Las Vegas does the same thing (no windows) to keep people focused on what they came for

TO LOOSE EVERYTHING... BTW...Welcome to JWD

• Honesty
    Honesty

Vampires detest light.... unless it's New Light.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Welcome to the forum ObservingTexan.

Here's a linke to a topic I started on the subject:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/98545/1.ashx

It fizzled out after a whopping 13 posts. Hopefully your's will do better. LOL

• blondie
    blondie

It depends; there are 12 congregations in this area, 5 with windows, 7 without.

It tends to be a money thing; buildings without windows are cheaper to build easier to insure. In the olden days most had windows because few had AC. With the advent of AC, it was possible to build KHs without windows.

I have said this before, the older churches in this area have windows, the new ones don't....

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit