"Ice", "Meth" Is this a problem in your town???

by ohiocowboy 31 Replies latest social current

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

At the continuation high school where I work we have lost several students to meth. One to death so far, and three others to, well, the crazys? These kids went out of their minds. The light is out of their eyes. They are gone. They dropped out of school a while ago, but two of them have stumbled back to campus looking for some sort of help. (Not help to get off the drug. Help to find something to eat, or help to 'get the bugs off them' or help save them 'from the people following them.'

I have lost several family members to the stuff. But the person closest to me has 7 years clean off meth. So there is hope for some people.

I would seriously MOVE. People using that stuff get paranoid and could do anything. They also STEAL eveything not nailed down. They spread their disease. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do, but MOVE!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a really big problem here in Indiana, mostly in rural farm areas. I've read in the paper and seen on the news that the number of meth labs in Indiana are increasing. It's very sad.

Josie

P.S. I would move if I was you

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

CJ:

Great to hear from you again. Sorry you are going through this. Meth is really a plague. I never had any curosity over anything like that, especially after what it has turned my sister into so I can imagine you living in a neighborhood infested with it. Sounds like your landlord is also using, if not she may be profiting from it by being paid off to keep her mouth shut or she may just be afraid of putting her foot down to these thugs.

I can't think of any other solution other than what some of the other posters already told you. Move. I know it may be next to impossible for you to do so financially but you may even sink further down if living there causes more damage to you or what you have left, vehicle and personal belongings; not to mention your dog! In places like that you never know when there will be a shootout and you, your dog or partner may be caught in the crossfire. I hope you can get out of that mess soon. Please keep us posted!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

"We've had an ice problem since the 1980s, and the rest of the country has only had it for a few years," said Larry Williams, director of The Salvation Army's Addiction Treatment Services.

Hawaii has been at the forefront of meth use in the country, Williams said, but it has suffered when it comes to getting federal help. For years, the federal government has focused on marijuana eradication in Hawaii and ignored the meth problem, he said.

Lisa,

This is what infuriates me about the Feds and local authorities working so hard on stupid marijuana cases. There are bigger, more important issues than a bunch of ganga-smokers.

Andi

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

It's a problem in Whatcom County. I bought Tylenol Cold and Flu for my girlfriend last week and I had to show my ID and the pharmacist took down my personal info. It was a precaution against meth producers but it was weird.

As an apartment manager myself, I would recommend getting a copy of the Landlord-Tenant laws for your area either on-line or from a renter's advocacy group. If you are forced to move out because of the illegal activity permitted by the owner or the owner's agent, you should get your depsits back in full.

Just document EVERYTHING. Videos, letters, conversations, phone calls. EVERYTHING. I can't stress that enough.

I wish you well.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    Lisa,

This is what infuriates me about the Feds and local authorities working so hard on stupid marijuana cases. There are bigger, more important issues than a bunch of ganga-smokers.

Andi

Andi:

They are working so hard on the pot cases because there actually are some responsible productive citizens who actually smoke pot in the privacy of their own home. They have jobs and revenue and local authorities want to bust people they can fine and get money from. It cost them money to bust meth users. If they are picked up and fined, they dont have any money to pay the fines or court costs. Local jails half the time have to send inmates to have some of their teeth pulled since a lot of meth users have dental abscesses which require medical care, all at taxpays expense when they are in custody. In fact, I probably paid more out of my pocket for a speeding ticket than some meth addict may have had to pay for getting busted. I see people get busted for meth but they are out of jail dealing again in no time but get caught with a little bag of weed and you are screwed. Just my 2 cents.

LRG

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Huge problem here. Not a week goes by that they don't bust a couple of those meth-labs.

One guy was just sentenced this week to 45 years - he was learning how to cook the stuff up and set the trailer afire - his sister died in the blaze.

Jeff

• ballistic
    ballistic

This has been posted about before and I still haven't heard of it in England. Sure, you hear about speed, coke and ecstacy and drug related crime but I've never seen anything about this at all.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Meth is a pretty big problem here in Rural Washington and Oregon. Once I was approached by this tweaker who wanted to sell me this emaciated pit-bull that he had on a length of rope for $15. I told him I would buy his dog, and when he handed the rope to me, I told him to get bent and that I was going to get this poor dog some food and TLC. One of the advantages of being a large man is that most skinny, paranoid tweakers wont argue too much with me. Of course, he shouted curses and shook his fist at me while the exhaust fumes from my truck engulfed him. The good news? I took the dog home, gave him some food, a warm place to sleep, and plenty of positive attention until I was able to place him with a friend. Now, he's a pudgy, friendly, tail-wagging son-of-a-bitch who loves to go with me and my friend and my dog to the dogpark every Saurday. I hate it when I see tweakers/homeless folks who have pets that they cannot possibly provide/care for. Call me heartless, but if I see someone with a dog begging for money, I'll usually go to the nearest store and buy a cheap bag of dog food to give them.

-Breck

• daystar
    daystar

I live in Dallas too. What's weird is that I never hear about this sort of thing, other than on the news.

I did, however, see a guy at a local bar that I guessed had gotten into meth. He had all the earmarks anyway. He had seemed okay earlier in the year adn then a few months later came in, smelling horrid, open wounds on his hands, complaining of some "parasite" crawling around on him. Pretty creepy stuff.

Ohiocowboy, move out. There are other areas you can live in and feel much safer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit