How Do YOU View Ex Elders On This Board?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Do you think that if a person was an elder that when he comes on these boards, he still thinks and acts like an elder???

First, they needed to be thought of as individuals, not just a group of ex elders. Second, what does an elder act like? I have known great, loving elders who honestly cared about the people in the hall. They'd go completely out of their way to make sure that those that were sick and elderly received the help they needed . But I've also known elders who are bigots and a**holes who cared more about the 'club' then they did the people . So, that being said: The posts that I have read of the ex elders on this board tell me that these guys are pretty genuine and cool. If I were to meet a former elder who still carried an attitude that was, well, not nice... I figure like this: Old habits can die hard and people grow and change. We need to have patience with each other. I hope that people would (will) have patience with me as I learn and grow, so I figure it's best to have patience with others as they do the same. Hey they're here for a reason right? meagan

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I believe X-Elders have a greater responsibility to use their leadership to expose the wrongs they were privy to. They need to serve some time.

Oh? What leadership do we now have? We forewent that upon leaving, and sure as heck aint leading no army now

For the record, I used to get investigations quashed so that they never went to JC. I also never DF/DAed anyone but myself

My old man always used to say "Err on the side of kindness. If they are unrepentant they will just repeat!".

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Standing up to an elder body can get you a shot to the privates.

Agreed!

u/d(of the wounded privates class)

• kid-A
    kid-A

The fact that they are "Ex" elders is already a testament to their good character in my books. Having said that, I actually came from a pretty liberal congregation that had pretty laid back elders, it was always the "up and comer" MSs and/or "wannabe" elders that had the attitudes.

• Confession
    Confession

"Err on the side of kindness."

Little Toe, that's exactly how I used to think as an elder, although this is not at all what we were taught. When in a committee I would privately be faced with the fact that we cannot possibly know for certain (in most cases) whether a person was or was not repentant.

So, in my mind, unless a person was clearly, obviously and openly unrepentant, I voted not to disfellowship. I only moved for DFing in one case, and that was of an elder pedophile. So, although I am repelled by the idea of a panel of religious guys judging whether or not to expel a member, I don't feel too badly about having DFd him!

• minimus
    minimus

Some have expressed in the past and elsewhere that they believe pretty much in 'once an elder always an elder'. Such ones, imho, are quite narrow minded. And I do think that if we can right our wrongs from our Witness past---whether we were an elder or not----we should if at all possible.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

As an example...something to aspire to, the EX part that is. When I accepted the "privlege" I really thought that I was chosen by holy spirit to serve and protect the flock. Now I realize from firsthand experience that most elders serve their own interests and protect the WTS and its policies against the flock all the while claiming true christian love as their motivation..

• minimus
    minimus

Holy spirit......

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I always noticed it was a sad fact that the good ones would stand down out of protest to any injustices they saw, yet once tey did stand down they were silenced, the C/O didn't want to know about them anymore and he would only do his talking to the existing Elders who were the chooks to start with. If some are here on this I find them a useful source of info, but I must say i would feel very sorry being an Elder in the Watchtower, misleading the flock, DFed some of them, ruining Families, thinking I was doing it all for God and then only to find out it was a Cult of Lies. I’m sure there must be a measure of guilt and angry in them now.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

How Do YOU View Ex Elders On This Board?

Proud as hell of 'em. Just like all others who have the fortitude to stand up and get out of that hateful religion.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit