Who Wants to Write a #4 talk?

by RichieRich 59 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I've got the #4 tommorrow night about why Violent Video Games are not for Christians.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I don't know why this isn't popping up in the "Active topics", but its REALLY IMPORTANT!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

How long does the #4 talk need to be? Is it 15 minutes?

I'll have to think about it. I would try to make the reasoning in the talk borderline absurd but still almost believable for someone who's not really thinking about what is being said... like the "Are Cats for True Christians?" article. (http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13394.htm)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Oh yeah. 5 minutes.

ANd its in the back school, so it doesn't have to sound perfect.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

What's the topic supposed to be?

luv, jojo

• sir82
    sir82

Heh.

We have our school on Tuesdays.

The guy who did this talk read Psalm 91:5, something about how Jehovah hates those who love violence.

For some reason, he didn't read 91:6, which states that this "hater of violence" will rip all the evildoers to shreds, pour down upon them boiling sulphur, and generally torture and kill them.

It would be quite interesting to incorporate those verses, something like "see here in Psalm 91:5, you should hate violence, now here in 91:6, see what Jehovah will do to you if you don't".

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Richie - this is a redo of a talk that I gave about 2 years ago.

There is a Watchtower article in the early eighties regarding the devastating effects of PacMan and Donkey Kong. I quoted directly from the article without telling what games were being talked about.

The effects of the games are shown in the article on 8 year old Michael, 10 Timothy and another 12 year old. I mentioned that we do not know how these boys turned out. Are they well adjusted 30 year old's or are they sitting in jail somewhere? We can only wonder......

The sarchasm was spewing forth as I spoke - then I got into a big discussion about conscience.

I mentioned how "STUPID" it was for the governing body to mention specific games in the WT article, because it showed how out of touch they were a mere 20 years later.

I think I got a G........

Hope this helps

• funkyderek
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Reading in context is always enlightening, and takes up valuable seconds, if you're trying to spin it out.

Why not read a good chunk of that Psalm (enough to get a flavour across) then highlight that verse to show why violence is wrong

An illustration about the Roman colosseum, complete with graphic description, should keep it lively

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is a great news article you can use as source material:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43441

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit