SURVIVAL INTO A NEW EARTH Quote - what was it and where is it?

by VM44 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kaput
    Kaput

Too bad the site's search feature still doesn't work.

• observador
    observador

Thanks VM44 for bringing this up.
    Some people may not understand why 1935 is another failed date. So, here is the summary of the whole thing for those not deep into the JW thing:

Until 1935, the WT taught that the special group of 144,000 was still being gathered. However, in 1935 their number was completed (all filled up). Only replacements of unfaithful "anointed" (the 144,000) would happen. This is all fine and good...

...however, the WT also has another teaching that says that when the "Great Tribulation" breaks out, there will still be members of the "anointed ones" on the earth. They apply Jesus words "on the account of the chosen ones, those days will be abbreviated..." to mean that some anointed would still be alive right here.

And that is the problem. If you start from 1935 and you consider that an anointed person back then would be a grown up person in his 30s, it only takes simple arithmetics to conclude WHEN the "Great Tribulation" would break out. Even if you're very optimistic by adding 60 years to someone alive at that age in 1935, this would take you to about 1995.

Well, needless to say that 1995 has come and gone, and so far no GT as far as my eyes can see.

Therefore, 1935 IS ANOTHER FAILED PROPHECY.

So, WT, your time is up indeed!!! What's the explanation?

Observador.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It was nice to have a god appointed FDS tell them that the end is near, given their lofty status and proximity to god what they said had to be right, how wonderful paradise and total peace are so near. Then 1995 came and the FDS had to kill the dream with the new generation understanding. The old light was deceptive, its expectations futile.

• observador
    observador

In 1995 there was an "adjustment" in the "understanding" of the "generation of 1914".

However, there is still no word on the "understanding" of 1935 date or the "anointed on earth" teaching. Either one of those two teachings is wrong.

• TopHat
    TopHat

All I can say is: The WTS must have believed what they wrote about, survival of that generation from 1914 until armegdden, was really going to come about!. They put their ass on the line there with the book.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Very observant observador,

I am regularly frustrated at the WTS's failing to account for failed prophesies, expectations or "light".

There are many more things they have claimed that have not come to pass than is currently published on the internet or elsewhere.

When I was a witness we used to look for the latest WT comment on a subject or scripture to have the current belief.

Yet often their last comment was obviously wrong and they have never corrected it.

The more you look the more you find. Often these false beliefs were the basis for a current belief. So if the basis was false is the current belief still valid?

I belief the WTS can no longer provide a consistent harmonious explanation of their doctrine without creating serious questions and exposing doctrine destroying flaws.

That I believe is why they no loger try.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thanks guys. I edited the two quotes from the Survival book and the one from Live Forever into an attractive document (I added the questions from the paragraph). I put it in a really nice display plaque and mounted it on my office door.

My wife said, "What's this?"

"Oh, just something to remind me."

"It's quotes from the publications?"

"Yes, with the questions to the paragraphs."

"Why did you add the questions?"

"Because it makes clear what point they were actively teaching in 1982 and 1984. You know, the Live Forever book was the primary study aid until the Knowledge book came out in 1995, so that was still the current teaching until then. That was just 11 years ago."

(all this time she's reading it)

"But they changed this teaching, didn't they?"

"Yes. In 1995, when someone born in 1914 would have been 80."

"Huh. Why do you have this on the door?"

"To remind me."

"Yeah, you said that. 'To remind you' of what?"

"That I made the right decision. There aren't many 91-year-olds alive today, and this indicates that most of the early ones from the 'great crowd' are also dead by now. The generation died, so they changed their doctrine. But a lot of people only accepted the truth because they believed that doctrine was truth. It wasn't 'truth', apparently. They had to change it."

"Huh."

It was non-threatening because it was JUST their own words. Keep your fingers crossed.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Auldsoul,

I give you with one of my favorite quotes to place on a plaque next to the one you made - "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." John F. Kennedy That should really puzzle Mrs. Auldsoul's soul.

I also leave you with one of my "horse" sense quotes. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink." I've handled hundreds of horses in my day, and it's true. If you muscle a horse, she will always win. You have to make it her decision. Until we were ready to leave, we defended the Truth.

I admire your persistence. Keep it gentle, else she will pull back, rear up, and burn your hands with your own leadrope.

Skeeter

• TD
    TD

Good observations, observador

The failure of the 1935 date also does something else. It creates a third class of Christians that JW's seem unprepared to account for.

JW's base their salvific system on the two groups of Revelation. The 144,000 set aside their earthly bodies for the crown of heavenly life and the Great Crowd survive the tribulation. There is no third group.

In JW theology, there is no such thing as "Other Sheep" who are not also membes of the "Great Crowd" during the Christian Era. (For good reason, when you think about it.)

When those that stood up and were explicitly told that they were members of the Great Multitude die en masse the obvious question is this: If they weren't members of the Great Crown and they weren't members of the 144,000, then what were they?

• Kaput
    Kaput

Here's another good one to stick on your door, AuldSoul. It's from The Approaching Peace of a Thousand Years brochure (1969):

Soon now six milleniums of his (Satan) wicked exploiting of mankind as his slaves will end, within the lifetime of the generation that has witnessed world events since the close of the Gentile Times in 1914 till now, according to the prophetic words of Jesus in Matthew 24:34. Would not, then, the end of six milleniums of mankind's laborious enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a Sabbath millenium for all his human creatures? Yes, indeed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit