Complete ban on smoking in public places just passed in England

by ballistic 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Chimene
    Chimene
    I don't mean any disrespect here Chimene but if you realised that smoking near your daughter was bad for her, stopped and even noticed an improvement when you did so why would you think it is okay to smoke around anyone else? Even in a sports bar?

I guess because of the fact that ususally just about everyone in a sports bar is smoking, to. Maybe I should have been more clear, the only place I would smoke in public, would only be with other smokers. I will NOT smoke around people who don't, anywhere.

And I have to agree with Ballistic, a sports bar is some where you choose to go, and most people that choose to go are smokers, LOL But it's all good

• undercover
    undercover
    Maybe because people choose whether to go there or not.

Right. Going to a bar, where you know people are drinking and smoking is a choice that you make. I don't think anyone(patrons, that is) should complain about smoke in a setting like that.

However, since employees' health are at risk, that's why a lot of places do not make distinction between a public restaurant and a public bar/club.

I can see both sides of the argument.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    I'm okay with banning smoking wherever food is served. Nothing like trying to eat a meal with smoke drifting in your face. I've never understood why someone can't go 30 minutes to an hour without lighting up, especially right before or right after a fine meal.

I've seen people light up while eating and then use the plate for an ashtray. Gross.

There is nothing worse than going out for a nice meal and then ending up with a migraine because some jerk was blowing smoke in your face. Florida has a ban on smoking inside restaurants and in bars that serve food. Many restaurants in town have screened porches where smokers can eat and smoke. Smokers can go to the bars that don't serve meals and non-smokers can go to the pub for a drink. Everybody wins.

• Chimene
    Chimene

That's exactly what I'm talking about Saoirse, that's why I always sit in non smoking at restaurants, I don't smoke until I have left the building. I think it's rude, and I would not want to affend someone.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

There's one exception to the ban - the houses of parliament! apparently they have to pass a seperate law to ban smoking there

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

Good to see Britain joining the civilized world in weeding out that poison. I was immeasurably thankful when they banned toxic shit smoking in my hometown, and it hasn't hurt the hospitality industry one little bit. Plus now I can laugh at all the losers shivering in the cold, hands cupped around their little cancer sticks, trying desperately to kill themselves one sickening puff at a time while us healthy folk actually enjoy sitting down for a brew.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    while us healthy folk actually enjoy sitting down for a brew.

... whilst giddily working away at your prostate and colon cancers while sipping on your dialysis juice. nice. good for you.

• Legolas
    Legolas

We're banned here as well...It sucks, but you do get used to it!

The government really should help the business add on rooms where smokers can go (Vented rooms)

I never looked into how much it did hurt the bars,clubs, bingo halls etc...after it went into effect, but I am sure it was alot.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

What's the government's definition of a public place. I thought that the normal nightclubs that students go to were considered private.

The worst thing about a night club is the acrid smoke. I went to one latin club once paid £7 walked in choked on the dense nasty smoke and walked out a couple of minutes later. No refund.
    If it the law straightens out places like this then it's a good thing.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's interesting how some people view this similarly to how they view private property rights. 30-40 years ago, environmentally responsible use of private property was just gaining momentum here in the States. Believe it or not, there are people who still believe that they have a right to do anything they want on their property regardless of the environemtal impacts of surrounding areas. Only 16 states have env. impact laws set up to require review of proposed developments that will potentially cause significant impact. Those 16 states are largely the most populated, and most urbanized, so naturally with the densification of populations there will be more laws to make sure the rights of one party is not abused by another party who thinks their right is inaliable.
    In California, the most highly populated state in the US, it has been illegal to smoke in bars and restaurants for a long time (a decade at least). Simply put, it is a matter of unrestricted air pollution. There are restrictions on most air pollutions in the US as per the Clean Air Act, so why should polluters of some of the most toxic substances available be exempt? I know there are a lot of diferring opinions on these subjects, but we are not in the Dark Ages here. We have the luxury of the science that enables us to live beyond the standard 40 or 50 years in a lot of countries, and one reason is environmental laws regulating air and water pollution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit