Complete ban on smoking in public places just passed in England

by ballistic 49 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

From summer after next, smoking will be banned in any public place including pubs and clubs in England.

Although I plan on giving up again, I still don't agree with government interfering like this. They had previously

made proposals for some pubs to remain licensed for smoking which I thought would have been a workable compromise.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Does this mean that I no longer have the smoking section at Gatwick to look forward to? It's a long flight across the pond.....

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yep, sorry - all public places where someone works. The only exemptions are places classsed as residences such as prisons, care homes and some hotel rooms.

I know what you mean about those long flights.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Personally speaking, I will welcome it. May make me more likely to enjoy a drink or meal in a pub. But I do appreciate the views of others, perhaps there could be some compromise for those who wish to carry on a perfectly legal , if unwise, activity? Also, I wonder how it will be enforced? Supposing a crowd just ignored the rule? is the landlord responsible?

Perhaps people will just stop their smoking indoors - like they have on the top deck of buses..

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to spend more of my tourist money in Amsterdam then.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

They've already passed anti-smoking legislation here in Newfoundland, they passed it last July. That means no smoking in ANY public places, not in bars/pubs, not in restaurants, not in prison, not even on outdoor patios. You can smoke in your own home or outside on the sidewalk (at least 10 feet away from entrances to businesses), but that's about it.

It makes the world a little more pleasant for all of us non-smokers to live in, we don't like going out and coming home smelling like ashtrays. And it's healthier for the people who have to work in public places, too.

-Becka :)

• Chimene
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

great news

• Robdar
    Robdar

They've already passed anti-smoking legislation here in Newfoundland, they passed it last July. That means no smoking in ANY public places, not in bars/pubs, not in restaurants, not in prison, not even on outdoor patios. You can smoke in your own home or outside on the sidewalk (at least 10 feet away from entrances to businesses), but that's about it.

It makes the world a little more pleasant for all of us non-smokers to live in, we don't like going out and coming home smelling like ashtrays. And it's healthier for the people who have to work in public places, too.

I wish they would do the same for people who wear cologne or perfume or burn their little potpourri containers. That would make the world a little more pleasant for people who have allergies.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm okay with banning smoking wherever food is served. Nothing like trying to eat a meal with smoke drifting in your face. I've never understood why someone can't go 30 minutes to an hour without lighting up, especially right before or right after a fine meal. My favorite response to someone in a restaurant who asks, "Mind if I smoke" is "Mind if I fart".

But, if it's just a bar or club, I think they should be allowed to have designated smoking areas.

The problem is that smoking and second hand smoke are known to cause cancer. Since employees are subjected to second hand smoke their entire shift in bars and restaurants, it could cause some long term problems for insurance companies. I'm sure that insurance companies are helping to lobby against public smoking.

Here in the states, it's getting harder to get medical insurance if you're a smoker and some companies will not hire smokers to help keep insurance costs down.

The catch-22 is that smoking is bad for you and more and more smoker's "rights" (really they're privileges) are going away. But they'll never be able to outlaw tobacco. The tobacco companies are too strong and have too much lobbying power with governents (in the US anyway). If you ban tobacco, it will be worse than marijuana and the old days of prohibition. So you'll have to leave tobacco as a legal product, tax the hell out of it and make it so inconvenient for smokers that the only place they can smoke is on their own property.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit