Complete ban on smoking in public places just passed in England

by ballistic 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Chimene
  • ballistic
    ballistic

Thing is, I knew I wasn't going to win any popularity contest posting this or even consensus, but the bottom line is

the people that say "great I can now go out to pubs in a fresh environment" are not the people I see in pubs day in day out. They are the people who like to reserve this "right" for an occasional visit. In other words, the ratio of smokers to non-smokers is not reflected in the existing pub demographics.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am pleased for that as I remember how many times I had to breath in cigarette smoke from people smoking nearby, plus getting smelly cloths. In England people usually obey such rules but in some other countries they ignore them.

• undercover
    undercover

chimene....

you don't say?

• undercover
    undercover
    the people that say "great I can now go out to pubs in a fresh environment" are not the people I see in pubs day in day out.

I don't smoke but I do spend quite a bit of time in bars where smoking is allowed. I don't complain because I understand that smoking and drinking are two vices that kind of go together.

While I applaud restaurants from banning smoking, I feel for people who want to smoke in a bar.

What smokers need to realize is that times are changing and they can't stop it. The costs of smoking are just too great for insurance companies and employers to ignore anymore.

It's time to accept it and move on.

Now if they ban drinking in bars/pubs, I'll by the villager out front leading the mob.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    The costs of smoking are just too great for insurance companies and employers to ignore anymore.

It's time to accept it and move on.

Undercover, did you know that obesity leads to more premature deaths in America than smoking? Perhaps the insurance companies should be raising the premiums of people who eat in McDonalds and the government should levy an 80% tax on burgers? No sorry, hold on, might as well go for an outright ban on beef burgers in public places.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Other people eating crap isn't going to make me ill, smoking on the other hand . . . .

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Other people eating crap isn't going to make me ill, smoking on the other hand . . . .

That could have been resolved by the licensing, under which they were expecting at 70-30 split with 70% non-smoking pubs. The point about burgers was me responding to the issues raised about health insurance and taxation.

• undercover
    undercover
    did you know that obesity leads to more premature deaths in America than smoking?

I haven't seen those numbers but I'm not surprised. Eating too much and the wrong stuff is bad for you. But, you need food to exist. You don't need smoking. Also, the guy sitting next to you eating a Wendy's triple-cheese-everything burger is not affecting your health or your child's health, is it? But the guy sitting next to you and your family and blowing smoke your way is.

But...I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong. I agree that banning smoking in bars and clubs seems a bit harsh. But I also realize that its for employees health and health insurance costs and not an imposing of morals on anyone.

I'm just saying that the writing's on the wall and there ain't nuthin you can do about it. Time to accept it and deal with it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    That could have been resolved by the licensing, under which they were expecting at 70-30 split with 70% non-smoking pubs.

And what about the staff working in that 30% sector? The issue is bigger than that though. Smoking is dirty, dangerous and anti-social - surely humanity should evolve beyond it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit