Are Internet Apostates making the tower wobble?

by unclebruce 38 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Absolutely UB.

If I was 'witness-unaware', and one came to my door, the very first thing I would do when they left would be to look them up on the Net. No doubt many do just that.

I was just thinking today about the old KH down the road. When I entered post-pubertarian service to the Big Power Tower in Brooklyn, circa 1971ish, there were about 55 or 60 publishers that attended the SM and TMS. [I use that as gauge since Sunday is a fluctuation]. Now, 35 years later, unless matters have flourished in my evil-asses' absence in the past two years, there are about 55 or 60 in attendance at the SM and TMS. No growth in the past nearly 4 decades. Some have died, some have been born, some have moved out or fell away, some have moved in to fill the gap. But still zero growth. I personally know of less than 5 persons who came out of the 'field' into the flock of God in that time. Most just 'inherited' the cultship of Mom and Dad Automaton. And quite a few of them have flown the nest.

I would think that the internet is hugely responsible for the zero growth. And at least in my case, it is also directly responsible for my exit.

Jeff

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    And at least in my case, it is also directly responsible for my exit.

I think we have to apply the cockroach rule here. For everyone you see one, there are 1000 more hiding. So here is one person that had their exit facilitated. Multiply that by 1,000.

(For the record, I have met AK-Jeff personally and he is not a cock-roach. This is just an analogy. I know that Jeff knows what I meant, but I am married and therefore conditioned to carefully explain how everything say is not in anyway meant as an insult.)

• metatron
    metatron

what the stats don't show is the sudden 'de-conversion' of many Witnesses. I was one. JT was another. Many other people

could tell the same experience - you read something on an "apostate" site, you check it out and you keep reading. Then you cry.

Then you get angry.

Then you seek vengence.

The Watchtower is losing the bright, the discerning, the good hearted and the compassionate - and the internet is a big part of it.

Notice too, that many of these embarrassing scandals like the UN or child sexual abuse would never have been exposed without

the internet. I would say that the Society greatly underestimates its influence, direct or indirect.

metatron

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    (For the record, I have met AK-Jeff personally and he is not a cock-roach. This is just an analogy. I know that Jeff knows what I meant, but I am married and therefore conditioned to carefully explain how everything say is not in anyway meant as an insult.)

CYP - Actually cock-roaches probably have some amiable traits. So, I could consider it a compliment if I looked hard enough for the positive.

BTW - I see you have learned the true meaning of marriage then. LOL

Jeff

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    what the stats don't show is the sudden 'de-conversion' of many Witnesses. I was one. JT was another. Many other people

could tell the same experience - you read something on an "apostate" site, you check it out and you keep reading. Then you cry.

Then you get angry.

Then you seek vengence.

That was me. It all took place in a single afternoon during a slow day at work. I became physically ill and it took over a month to recover, during which time I shed 40 pounds. I needed to lose the weight, but it's a hell of a way to do it.

W

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi Bruce

I left the JWs in 1985. Shortly after there seemed to be this huge expansion. Big halls to accommodate 2 or 3 cong. I know when I left in 85 the cong I was in was brimming to the door.

While I lived in Winnipeg I went to a meeting. It was one of the big new halls but it wasn't even half full. From what I have heard many of the cong are shrinking. It seems there are fewer baptisms. And almost every, if not all, assemblies and conventions are filled with dire warnings of apostates and scares about the internet.

All those warning talks are for a very clear reason. The WTS knows they are being found out. And they can't control the info anymore. The more controlling and legalistic they are the more people are feeling pressured. Too much pressure and people will crack under the burden.

We have had so many elders here who have resigned their positions and walked out never to go back. That makes an impression. People want to know why. And lacking any explanation from the WTS they are turning to the net for real answers.

I suspect too that information the media has done, (blood, sexual abuse probably the biggest issues) plus the info on the internet plus recent books that have been published are innoculating the public about the JWs.

Their reputation isn't quite as squeaky clean anymore as they would like it to be.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Mole report ----

Hi Danny! The kingdom hall in Hingham, has lost about 50% of their membership over the last 2 years mostly whole families have left the witnesses altogether. Most who remain are inactive some (about 5 families) moved away with no forwarding address. Among those who remain, many are known alchoholics and liars at the Kingdom Hall Jehovah's Witnesses Hingham Massachusetts? I heard this is typical with the witnesses.

The society has sent pioneers to help Hingham complete the territory, because NO ONE in this congregation even goes out in service.Most of the people just put down a few hours of supposed,informal witnessing to keep the elders off their backs.

[My old cong]> Rockland Massachusetts Kingdom Hall Jehovah's Witnesses is the same.They lost about 25%, no new growth in years. Most young ones are leaving. Many inactive. Don't know about the rest. How are you? Often think of you. You are in Maine right? How are the Witnesses up there treating your car, are they still smashing windows or cutting tires? Very christian of them!

• M.J.
    M.J.

I will bet that the occasional smart ones they used to nab in the FS just won't buy into it today like they used to.

As Metatron suggests, perhaps there is a big "brain drain" going on as well.

Just witness the many brilliant folks who post here.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The wts, and in particular the gb aren't just scared of the lnternet - they are terrified of it. they have been exhorting the r&f for years to avoid it. They are well aware of how much information about them is available now, and the potential effect it can have on their followers.

In my case, it wasn't the internet that first caused me to question the wts, but it certainly helped speed up my departure from the org.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm seeing the Internet information access as having the effect of reducing the number of people returning to being Witnesses after they have been cast out or just quit associating. The Internet's not doing it. The information is. The Internet's just the medium. The Watch Tower is it's own worst enemy. It's a group that's hurt by the truth about the group.

The Society's actually defenceless against facts. All they can do is deny, rationalize, justify, poison the well, and demonize the messenger. That strategy works for a few for a while. It won't continue to work unless there are some deliveries of promises made. Those deliveries are overdue. The Witnesses are laboring for rewards. The hours are long, the up front costs are high, the personal comfort costs are high, the loss of living standards gets old, the repetitious hype gets boring, and the realization that's there's something wrong is just under the surface of many adult Witnesses and all the children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit