Why can't you just move on?

by atypical 45 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

That's what my wife said to me the night before last. I was making an observation about the way my family and other jws in my life are constantly trying to get me to go to a meeting or read an awake, but they never want to sit down and address the questions I have raised to them. She then asked me why I can't just move on. She said, "you have made your choice, why do you keep talking about it and getting angry?" The conversation went downhill very quickly from there.

I made the point very bluntly that I cannot move on because she is involved so heavily in the religion, which brings it into our lives on a daily basis. She said that she has been very tolerant of my situation, which really got under my skin. Anyway, you can probably imagine the details, I'm sure many have had the same arguments with their jw spouses. I am just wondering if I am justified in bringing up things that bother me about the religion, and talking about it so often.

I realize it is heavy on my mind, but to be fair, I cannot even work in my front yard without seeing someone from my old hall. I am not exaggerating this; I have three neighbors who are witnesses. One has bookstudy at his house, which means he also has meetings for field service. Witnesses are always driving by, including the elders who keep trying to contact me. The brother who has bookstudy at his house is also on our HOA board, and uses that excuse to watch my house like a hawk. I feel that I have to deal with the bad effects of this religion constantly, so to ask why I can't move on seems hurtful.

Anyway, I fear I am going too "Oprah" here, so I will stop. I am just floored by how deeply the roots of the witnesses beliefs can reach into every aspect of someone's life.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've found that those not in our shoes do not understand our point of view.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings atypical,

IMO your anger, etc. is well founded. You have a lot of company.

Dismembered

• Brigid
    Brigid

<<<brings it into our lives on a daily basis.>>>

Living with one who's still in the Organization? I love when my brother who went back will quip (on the few occasions when we speak-usually at my initiative), something about the "Truth", then quickly back away when I engage him, saying "I know you don't like to talk religion"--I LOVE to talk religion. I've studied every religion out there. And I know the bible better than he does (and even some of the Hebrew behind it). I usually free him after a few minutes of stepping into my spider's web. He simply cannot keep up (I mean no disrespect, but he has not given himself access to many religious texts, commentary and far less the native tongue of the bible) I don't like to humiliate him. But he wants to quip and run. Can't stand a drive by quipper!

Keep speaking your truths. You will move on--you probably already have. But this crap runs deep (it's hardwired into us). Be strong. Be free. Keep educating yourself.

Blessings,

~Brigid

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I wish it was that easy , just to move on. I feel stuck , even trapped . If my adult children were free of it all then it would be better. I have witness neighbors too . At least my mate is not pushing being active.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    She said, "you have made your choice, why do you keep talking about it and getting angry?"

I think the answer to that should be pretty obvious - they refuse to accept your choice. You have every right to get upset.

I was making an observation about the way my family and other jws in my life are constantly trying to get me to go to a meeting or read an awake,

Witnesses are always driving by, including the elders who keep trying to contact me. The brother who has bookstudy at his house is also on our HOA board, and uses that excuse to watch my house like a hawk.

I went through the same thing with my ex. She was constantly bringing up the JW subject, yet when I gave her answers she didn't like she accused me of "attacking" her.

JWs believe in the right to express their religious beliefs, but they are unwilling to extend that right to anyone who disagrees with them. Then it is viewed as "persecution".

W

• atypical
    atypical

That is so true. She told me that by speaking against the religion, it is the same thing as if I told her not to go to meetings. I told her that I am the only one in our relationship who is completely willing to look at the facts, whether the facts agree with my stance or not. I am interested in truth, not convenience. Like you said, FF, witnesses take any negative observation about the religion as a personal attack.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

We'll all move on when there is nothing left to see.

alt

Good bye once mighty tower.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    I made the point very bluntly that I cannot move on because she is involved so heavily in the religion, which brings it into our lives on a daily basis.

This is what I say exactly. My wife (not a JW) will occasionally ask me why I cant just let it go and move on. My reply is that as long as the WTBS maintains control of any of my family (my mother's still a JDub) then they are affecting me in a direct manner. This is unacceptable!

cannot even work in my front yard without seeing someone from my old hall

Atypical......dude.....you've got it in a bad way, don't you? I would go crazy if I had to look at former "brother" and "sisters" on a daily basis. I'd be on the housing market in a heart beat.

Hang in there man. Keep up the good fight. I'll be thinking about you and your family hoping that things pull together for you.

• atypical
    atypical

Thanks, Darth. I am seriously considering putting my house up for sale. It is just frustrating because I made a very good purchase; house prices skyrocketed after we signed our contract. I would have to pay at least $100k more for a house that wouldn't be as nice as the one we have. I oscillate between selling to get away from this problem, or gritting my teeth and standing my ground.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit