Do You Think Witnesses Deal With Death Properly?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One thing every "good" Witness can do is compartmentalize a matter, thought or situation and not deal with it. It's what we were trained to do. Not thinking about someone's demise and ignoring it, actually, can be easy for some JWS.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's hard for anyone to lose loved ones but it's true the dubs should be less grief stricken as they believe that very soon there will be a resurrection. The problem is they don't really believe that, just as others that believe in life after death deep down aren't convinced that their loved ones are still alive and well albeit in a different dimension.

• FairMind
    FairMind

When my daughter died I grieved deeply and for a long time. She was 17 and not baptized. Because she had been raised a JW there were some at the hall that comforted me with "if only she had been baptized you would know she would have a resurrection". Comments like that would break my heart.

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( Fairmind ))).

• Mary
    Mary
    And forget about givinga eulogy. That's very "worldly"! Barely mention the deceased and go straight to the Watchtower Society outline......

Is it just me, or has the outline for funeral talks in the Borg changed over the last 10 - 12 years? 20 years ago, the funerals I went to spoke mostly about the deceased and while they did mention the hope of the resurrection, that wasn't the focus.

Now adays, the dearly departed are mentioned briefly and then they start in about Great Crowd surviving Armageddon, the New System, and if you want to be there, please talk to a qualified minister after the funeral and we'll make arrangments for you to study. Even my one sister, who's fairly 'strong in the troof' made a comment that the funeral services are far too preachy and they don't talk enough about the deceased or what their lives meant............

Fairmind said: there were some at the hall that comforted me with "if only she had been baptized you would know she would have a resurrection"; Comments like that would break my heart.

Ya, that's typical stupid drone-like reasoning.......Fairmind, rest assured your daughter is in God's memory, no matter what these bozos say...........

• Mary
    Mary

Oh ya, I forgot one other little gem. About 4 years ago, during our Bookstudy, the conductor told us of one brother who's wife suddenly died. "....He was out in Service the very next morning. What a wonderful display of loyalty to Jehovah's Organization...." I couldn't believe it and I said "...perhaps he was in shock and didn't know what he was doing."

What assholes.

• lilybird
    lilybird

I remember after my mother died suddenly and I took it hard-- witnesses saw me cry and I was told I shouldn't be upset or cry because she would be resurrected one day... I told a couple of sisters who came to visit me that Jesus cried when Lazuras died and he knew he would resurrect him . They looked at me with surprise and said they had never thought of that.....I thought how strange their thinking was at the time..even though I was still strongly trapped in the witless way of thinking..

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Maybe you should define properly in the context of death.

Do you believe Witnesses don't grieve when a loved one dies?

• lilybird
    lilybird

yes.. I think many do desire to grieve but they are not allowed to show their grief ,,,they are forced to put up a front of being happy that their loved one will make it into the new system..so its a good thing that they died.. that is what brothers and sisters told me,, when my mother died.. be happy she will be resurrected she has won her reward..they think they are special in Jehovahs eyes over anyone else in the world...how short sighted they become with the witless teachings..

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

well I always taught that grief was good, normal and necessary. knowing they are not in Hellfire burning is also a comfort - knowing they are not in Haeven looking down on you all grieving is also good

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit