I'm an Organ Donor

by prophecor 38 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Yes, I'm a donor. There is no point in my salvagable vital organs going to waste. Why not share my apostateness with others that need it more than I?

• blondie
    blondie

I was watch NCIS Tuesday night and though it is fiction, some things aren't. A human body is worth about $200,000 on the open market, part by part.

I was amazed.

Blondie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I once gave away a small violin, but a WHOLE organ???

cmon, the Methodist church would pay a packet for one of those babies.

(not sure if my liver would be worth much... hic)

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

(not sure if my liver would be worth much... hic)

Way hay...you and me both Katie....off on the piss now actually....lol

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

LOL @ KK and Fleaman!

I carry the card too. I've also told my family of my wishes - the only parts of me I'm not donating is my eyes - because my sis wouldn't want me to and they're probably no good anyway!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

LOL............I'm sorry, I'm a real lechette tonite............hehe............I'll take your organ!!!

Anyways, yes, I am an organ donor.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I while back I read an article that stated that organ donors are billed for the collection of the organs.

WTF? you kiddin'?

well, I have life insurance enough to pay for my cremation...........that's the way I want to go.....and, for a thousand bucks, they'll add your ashes to others and create a reef out of ya! That's cool.........although I'm more of a MT lover myself..........

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

My mother-in-law passed away last May. She had a massive stroke and went into a coma. After a day (and surgery), the doctors were able to determine that she was brain-dead. And, if/when we took her off the respirator, she would die.

Two years earlier, when she got her AR drivers license, she signed up to be an organ donor as well. When the hospital brought up her ID, it showed that she had wanted to be a donor. After confirming it with the family, they contacted ARORA (the Arkansas Regional Organ Recovery Agency).

A while back I read an article that stated that organ donors are billed for the collection of the organs.

An agency representative came to visit with us and was VERY supportive, VERY understanding and answered all of our questions. But, the bottom line was that SHE wanted this to happen, so we never thought twice about it. I can't speak for other states or countries, but once my partner signed the documents ARORA took care of the bills from that point on.

Right after she passed, we were told that her corneas were collected. One was transplanted and the recipient was doing well. The other was not able to be transplanted, but was able to be used by the medical school, so it was still helping people. Then recently, we received a letter telling us that her liver and both her kidneys were transplanted and all recipients were doing well. The letter was very generic and said something along the lines of "Your mother's liver was transplanted into a 57-year-old grandmother from Louisiana. The recipient is doing well and shows no sign of rejecting the organ." Knowing that her liver is helping someone keep their grandmother, is very comforting.

ARORA also has an after-care program for the benefit of the donor's family. We haven't participated in any of the events, but have made plans to attend our first later this month. The agency along with Little Rock's new Episphere (digital planetarium from what I can tell), have made arangements to have donor families name a star after their loved ones. The event will allow us to see the star that was named after her. Then when the nieces and nephews visit on spring break, we can take them back and they will show them their grammy's star.

I currently am not an organ donor. But, my partner and my family both know that I want to be. I will offically sign up to be when it comes time to renew my license. I never thought about it until now and I would have to say that my aversion of it was simply left over from my JW days.

CountryGuy

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yup, me too.

BTW: who else also has elected to allow their body to be used for medical education (i.e. like for gross anatomy classes?)

-Eduardo

It's better to be an Organ Donor than an Organ Grinder

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Absolutely, I would donate, if my organs were deemed suitable for donation.

I am the recipient of a solid organ donation. It saved my life! I was told
    that the donor died in an accident in another state. That family has my
    eternal, deeply felt gratitude.

Prophecor, I can assure you that the surgeons at the University of Pittsburgh
    are ethical, or at least they were in 1993. I personally know several surgeons
    and other physicians who were connected with their transplant program in 1993.
    Their ethics were unimpeachable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit