What did I just do?

by mrsjones5 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Last Sunday after the sermon I happen to see a lady who was knitting. I went to say hi and comment on her choice of yarn and how well she was coming in her knitting (last year she and I and a few other ladies in my church went on a Women's retreat whereupon she took up knitting.) As we were talking I mentioned something about the shawl ministry (http://www.shawlministry.com/) and if she had heard about it. She said no but it sounded like something that might fit into this year's Women's retreat and the pastor's wife who is organizing the retreat might like to hear about. Long story short, I spoke to the pastor's wife and she said something about me running it?!

What did I just get myself into? Maybe this will be my spiritual gift of service?

Josie

• KW13
    KW13

its your idea :D go make the most of the opportunity to strengthen your faith!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Happy is the one that gives rather than the one that receives. It will be fun helping people out to the extend that you can.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hey Josie, I always wanted to learn how to knit. How do I get started?

Thanks,

Melinda

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hey Ms,

I would suggest buying or checking out a book from the library on learning how to knit. JoAnn's has a nice selection of learning to knit how-to books and you can buy needles and yarn at a reasonable price there too.

Keep in mind to take it slow, don't get discouraged if you have to rip out stitches and start over a few times. It's all in the learning process.

Your first project should be something easy like a potholder or a scarf.

http://www.nataliedee.com/archive2003.php Have fun!

Josie

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

So just because I'm dense.... are you running the whole retreat or a part of it around this shawl ministry thing? I wasn't clear.

Either way, you never know you may have a lot of fun and make new friends.

Sherry

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LOL! Well, Ms. Josie, it looks like you might have a new church project on your hands. LOL!

Like you, being a friendly person gets me into trouble like that now and again. At our last church, I was being nominated/volunteered left and right to do things, be on committees, etc. And being the nice person I am, I have a hard time saying NO. So before long I was in over my head and doing stuff that I hated. It completely took the joy out of church for me. When I finally caught my breath, I realized there is no shame in "just saying no". But then again, there have been times in my life where I was "put" into a project and I was blessed more than I ever realized. So stick your toe in the water and see how it goes. I have a feeling God has some really cool things to say to you and has some really cool ideas of how to use you to encourage/uplift others.

Blessings,

Andi

• bebu
    bebu

You might have that kind of gift, Josie (I sure don't!). There's a gal at our church who is into textile stuff. She overseas making costumes for plays and musicals, created seasonal banners for the church, headed drives for quilts for needy, handmade dolls for children overseas--you name it, she can do it. She also teaches ladies (who are interested) in all sorts of knitting, sewing, crocheting, quilting, etc.

I bet you enjoy this particular knitting ministry. Have fun!

bebu

Edited to add: Oh, last year at the women's retreat there was a special class for making those long fuzzy scarves. I didn't go, but it was funny that suddenly almost every lady in church was sporting one of these interesting scarves for weeks after. They all loved the class.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My JW MIL tried to teach me to knit.

Needless to say when I hear of someone knitting I want to stick those needles into someone!

I would love to try again with a different teacher... Yes I would!..

Snoozy Q

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    What did I just get myself into?

Hard to say, mrsJones5. Now if it were me, I'd hafta say that I let my alligator mouth overload my humminbig behind.

You enjoy, cherie!

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit