UNITED NATIONS , NGO's and WTBS

by MacHislopp 501 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

'Lo, MacHislopp --- Thanks for the offer, and will take you up on it whenever it is beneficial.

Here is the copy of the news release I've been sending out to the newspapers here in Oregon. Future contacts will reflect the new developments such as the name being removed from the list of NGO's, etc. Also, such matters will be cared for like mentioning the ones investigating and calling include both current and former members. Anyone wishing to use it, all or in part, are surely welcome.

Again I must mention that all this is, is a modified form of Detective's original.

For immediate release:
    (541) 946-1231
    [email protected]

Controversial Religious Sect's association with United Nations withdrawn after former sect members blow the whistle.

Former members of Jehovah's Witnesses recently made a scandalous discovery when they learned the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, also known as Jehovah's Witnesses, had affiliated itself with the United Nations by soliciting to become an associated Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). Former members flooded the United Nations and The Watchtower's headquarters in Brooklyn with phone calls, protesting that for years the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has issued scathing statements in its magazines and from the podium that malign the United Nations, dubbing it the "disgusting thing" and likening it to the "scarlet colored wild beast" of the bible. The Watchtower Organization seemingly bowed to pressure from former and current members alike by withdrawing its status earlier this week.

While a seemingly harmless affiliation to most of us, the reckoning of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society's quietly associating itself with the U.N. is the making of a substantial scandal for the controversial religious organization. Former members of Jehovah's Witnesses argued that the Watchtower Society has repeatedly painted a vile description of the United Nations and it's goals before an audience of about six million adherents. Recently, however, the United Nations received an unprecedented number of phone calls from outraged former members who stumbled upon the news that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, who made an art out of skewering the United Nations in it's publications, has been an affiliated NGO since 1991. That’s a far cry from standing apart from the "disgusting thing", as they have often described it.

Why is this newsworthy?

Stunned former members of Jehovah's Witnesses learned of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society's association with the United Nations and initiated a grass roots effort to draw attention to the situation. That could prove enormously embarrassing to the United Nations and spark revolt among the rank and file members of the sect. This revelation could be highly detrimental to the credibility of Watchtower Bible and
    Tract Society in the eyes of both the United Nations and of the religious organization's millions of adherents. Former members allege that the sect misled the United Nations by petitioning to support and promote it's purposes while simultaneously maligning it before the Watchtower Society's millions of faithful believers as well as the general public.

Most rank and file members had no knowledge of the Watchtower Society's affiliation with the United Nations, and, as they have been led to believe the United Nations represents the "Scarlet-colored wild beast" of the bible, they would be shocked to learn of this affiliation.

This relationship between the two organizations was clearly fraudulent to both the rank and file and the United Nations Organization itself. In it’s original charter outlining the requirements for NGO’s to become “partners” (the UN’s word) with them, the UN clearly states that it is mandatory that all NGO’s are to support their goals. How the Watchtower Society managed to deceive the UN are some of the most audacious methods this writer has seen.

Acquiring the status of an NGO entitles an organization world status, benefits, and privileges they could get in no other way. It appears that the Watchtower Organization partook of them freely.

------------------------------------------------------------------

To further investigate this unfolding controversy, you may contact me at the numbers above. The email address would be the most convenient, as my schedule is erratic.

This situation is extremely well documented. Any detail that you wish clarified and/or verified is available.

Additionally, you will find further information below to assist you in your research.
    For the United Nations:

An address to send correspondence regarding an NGO:

NGO Section
    Department of Public Information
    Room S-1070 L
    New York, NY 10017, USA
    Tel: (212) 963-6842
    Fax: (212) 963-6914

A web site listing an NGO’s responsibilities:

target=_newhttp://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm>

A web site listing all NGO’s:
    target=_newhttp://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/ngodir/NGODirAlph/alphabet.htm>

Feel free to make suggestions.

LoneWolf
    Alias: Tom Howell

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, again,

As to new developments: I forgot when I first posted that the next day was Saturday. I wasn't able to contact the Religion editor in the Eugene (Oregon) Register-Guard, but I do know his name is Jeff Wright. The paper's main number is (541) 485-1234. The front desk will route you to him.

I was able to contact one of the reporters at the Portland Oregonian. My original email to them was to the following three individuals: Jim Camin - (503) 294-5104; Sarah Henderson - (503) 221-8394; and Kathy Nokes - (503) 294-5078. These numbers go directly to their desks.

I spoke to Kathy yesterday and Jim today (20th). Both were interested and very pleasant. I told Jim that the UN had removed the WTBTS from their listing of NGO's, but that there was a letter issued by the head of the DPI concerning both their involvement and departure. He also showed instant recognition when I mentioned the Guardian, and deep interest in them having already printed 3 articles about this situation. He asked me to email him some of the particulars. That is being done.

That's about all I have for now. Hope it's enough.

Hang in there.

LoneWolf

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Last one for tonight:

MacHislopp asked me to post this over here too, so here goes.

Here is the synopsis that I sent to the elder:

36929 Row River Road
    Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424
    October 4, 2001

(The elders name)
    Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424

Hello, there.

Two things have come up that are of such a nature that I wish to make sure that you are aware of them. I would not feel right if you were blind-sided by something that I’d withheld.

The first involves a few loose ends from our previous communications. (I'm omitting this as it is of rather a private nature.)

The second item involves Ciro Aulicino. It appears that he is at the very center of a firestorm that has come up in the past few weeks and is swiftly growing. You may know this already, but I figured it would be wise to mention it anyway.

It has become known that the WTBTS is enrolled in the United Nations as a NGO (Non-Government Agency). It’s all over the bulletin boards that are frequented by the Witnesses and ex-Witnesses, and is swiftly being circulated far beyond, so much so that it appears the United Nations themselves are beginning to take a strong and alarmed interest in it.

I’ll not try to repeat all of it, as I’ve only seen what’s happening on one site only and as that is about the size of a book already, I’ll restrict this to a brief thumbnail sketch of it. If you want more details (and there are plenty), the following Internet address will take you directly to it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/help_smilies.asp?site=3

The following are excerpts from the first post on the thread. It’s an exceptionally well written, though lengthy piece, posing the question: What is the Society doing in an association with the UN? In fact, the writer, one “MacHislopp” doesn’t even pose the question up front, but thoroughly establishes the facts of the case first.

This is where he is quoting the UN’s own website verbatim:

http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm)

I’m putting his personal comments in italics.

to begin the question:

“What is an NGO?

“A non-governmental organization (NGO) is any non-profit, voluntary citizens' group which is organized on a local, national or international level. Task-oriented and driven by people with a common interest, NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions, bring citizens' concerns to Governments, monitor policies and encourage political participation at the community level. They provide analysis and expertise, serve as early warning mechanisms and help monitor and implement international agreements. Some are organized around specific issues, such as human rights, the environment or health. Their relationship with offices and agencies of the United Nations System differs depending on their goals, their venue and their mandate."

Notice "…and encourage political participation at the community level "

More about:

"How do NGOs and DPI cooperate?

“The Department of Public Information and NGOs cooperate regularly. NGOs associated with DPI disseminate information about the UN to their membership, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level.”

Notice: "...and support for the Organisation .." ( i.e. The United Nations, of course)

If you think it's not enough…take a look:

"In 1968, the Economic and Social Council, by Resolution 1297 (XLIV) of 27 May, called on DPI to associate NGOs, bearing in mind the letter and spirit of its Resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968, which stated that an NGO "...shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations and to promote knowledge of its principles and activities, in accordance with its own aims and purposes and the nature and scope of its competence and activities".

Again, "…shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations".

So every NGO has taken that kind of responsibility.

Furthermore , take a look at this:

"What are the Criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI?"

“Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those which:

“Share the ideals of the UN Charter;

“Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;

“Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

“Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media."

I do think that all these criteria are quite clear.

To add more:

"What are the responsibilities of NGOs associated with DPI?"

“Since the founding days of the United Nations in San Francisco, NGOs have made valuable contributions to the international community by drawing attention to issues, suggesting ideas and programmes, disseminating information and mobilizing public opinion in support of the UN and its Specialized Agencies. Association with DPI constitutes a commitment to that effect. Associated NGOs are expected to devote a portion of their information programmes to promoting knowledge of the United Nations' principles and activities."

I hope that you also notice: " …mobilizing public opinion in support of the UN and its Specializes Agencies.."!

MacHislopp now shows an actual extract of the NGO membership as taken off the U. N.’s web site. There in big letters in the “W” section is “Watchtower Bible & Tract Society”. Many people have been calling the U.N. for more details. It’s been established that such a “partnership” (the U.N.’s word) would need to be requested by an organization and that such a “partnership” was requested by and granted to the WTBTS in 1991.

Since then according to other portions of the U.N. site, at least one of the Society’s branches (India) has requested and received funds (Apparently I was mistaken here. When I went back and checked it later it looked like it was taken from an Indian newspaper.), so this should effectively rule out any possibility that one of the Society’s enemies enrolled their name in an attempt to embarrass the Organization. (If it checks out, the conclusion would be the same.)

I might add that the express purpose for any organization receiving funds from the U.N. is to promote the purposes of the U.N.

I think you are as well aware as I am as to the Society’s scathing attitude toward the U.N., so I won’t bother repeating the rest of his post. It consisted of a lengthy list of the Society’s quotes, citing chapter and verse for every one of them.

He finishes by asking some very pointed questions.

The last I checked, there were 20 pages of comments and further investigation on this one thread. I would guess that each page could contain the majority of the material in one 32 page Watchtower, though that is only an estimate. There were over 16,000 “hits” (times that people brought it up on the screen to read) on that thread, so you can judge for yourself whether or not it is being noticed. And that’s on only one Internet site!

Now, here is the interesting part. These same quotes from the Society’s publication have been sent to the U.N. They have expressed deep concern, and are currently checking into it.

The following should demonstrate just how much. It is a post on about page 13 or 14 posted by one “Hawkaw”, who has been enthusiastic in investigating this matter:

“Hi Troubled and others,

“I telephoned Ms. I. Oca at the UN's DPI (11:15am Oct 3, 2001). I have her at another telephone number today 1-212-963-8305.

“Here is the latest.

“She indicated that the "Critera" has likely changed since 1991. However, the two most important critera to the WTS - supporting and respecting UN charter and commitment to effective information programes about the UN - have not changed since 1991 and no matter what, they have to meet today's Criteria if they want to be an "associate" of the DPI. Also the WTS had to solicit the UN and not the other way around.

“She also indicated that the application form may have changed slightly but was still about the same and the WTS had to include at least 4 references as is required today.

“Finally she indicated that, the NGO in question, the Watchtower, is under a DPI/UN investigation as we speak. This is major news folks. This means the DPI had a meeting and now the UN has decided to investigate. (His bolding throughout.)

“She indicated that the United Nations is reviewing the "NGO's" (Watchtower's) status. Since the NGO's status is under review, no further information (ie. the application form) will be given out at this time according to Ms. Oca.

“This is what I expected but as she indicated to me they, the DPI will have to release something on the conclusion of their investigation. This would be huge and would help get it into the press.

“The DPI is very concerned about this. I wonder if it is clicking in their heads that they were "snookered".

“Once the investigation is completed the NGO/DPI office will report their findings on the UN's internet site according to Ms. Oca.

“It looks like we had some affect folks. She also indicated that they have been inundated with information from a number of concerned people.

“I say - send more stuff to the United Nations DPI if you have forgotten anything or if you have not sent it yet. Tallyman should send one of his scarey WT pictures - that one of the city getting smoked would be a hoot - picture is worth a thousand words.

“By the sounds of this, this is a big time incident in their office.

“I forgot to ask about the press involvement - rats.

“Maybe you can ask about the press, "Troubled", seeing my long distance bill is through the roof.

“Hawk

“p.s. - anyone who Emailed the UNs DPI should have gotten an Email back saying they received your Email and are taking your Email into consideration with this NGO. That's code for we are investigating the occurrence.”

The reason that Ciro Aulicino is involved is that he is listed in the U.N. records as the Society’s liaison to the U.N. This morning a U.N. official telephoned “Hawkaw” to let him know that the WTBTS just made a formal request to be removed from the U.N.’s role of NGO’s.

It would appear to me that this is becoming such an embarrassment to the Society that about the only way out is to find a “scapegoat” somewhere. Ciro would seem to be the most likely candidate.

The almost universal reaction across the board has been one of surprise and shock, even from the so-called “apostates”. There is some anger thrown in, though I really expect that to come later. Right now the silence coming from the Society is deafening. Some have called in to Brooklyn to try to find an explanation, only to find that the brothers answering the phones were flabbergasted when they drew the U.N. pages up on their own computers. The official line being given out right now is that “they are looking into it.”

I don’t need to tell you what that looks like.

There has got to be some rationale for the Society’s membership. I would be interested in it for my and my family’s sakes, as well as possibly posting it on the web site for the edification of all.

Finally, according to my own sources, there is already some concern within the DPI about the NGO’s misapplication of funds. Part of that apparently stems from the “social workers” in Afghanistan being thrown in jail for preaching Christianity, and thereby throwing yet another problem in the U.N.’s lap. I think they will look at the Society’s activities under a microscope.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Howell

• Osarsif
    Osarsif

[repeated from other thread]

Article in Portuguese newspaper Público (Saturday, October 20, 2001) about the UN case:

Testemunhas de Jeová Ligaram-se à "Besta"
    (Jehovah's Witnesses Connected with the "Beast")
    http://jornal.publico.pt/2001/10/20/Sociedade/S05.html
    http://jornal.publico.pt/2001/10/20/Sociedade/S05CX01.html

Excerpts:

«"The registry as NGO was made only to be able to give humanitarian help and defend the human rights in several countries of the world", said to [the newspaper] Público Pedro Candeias, spokesman of the Association of Jehovah's Witnesses [AJW] in Portugal. In Portugal, however, the disaffiliation from the registry is not yet officially known by the AJW, which represents nearly 50,000 believers.»

«This [JW] official says the religious group to which he belongs has had "an important role" in the help to populations of countries like Angola, Bosnia, Georgia, Rwanda and other African or Latin-American [countries]. "To reach those countries was complicated and, for that reason, it was necessary to registry" the WTBTS in the United Nations. But that registry, he says, does not compromise the Jehovah's Witnesses with "any political involvement" with the UNO.»

«"It is not a political maneuver", says the AJW spokesman, "because without the support of the UNO it would not be possible to distribute humanitarian help". And as the registry "does not violate the statutory precepts" of the JW, the criticisms to the registry in the DPI "do not have any basis", says Pedro Candeias.»

[end of newspaper excerpts]

If the criticisms "do not have any basis", and if the registry is so important "to give humanitarian help and defend the human rights in several countries of the world", why has the Watchtower Society hurriedly disaffiliated itself from the United Nations after the case was made known on the Internet?

The JW spokesman lied when he said the registry with the UN does not compromise the Jehovah's Witnesses with any political involvement with the United Nations.

--
    H2O Archives 1996-2001: http://geocities.com/osarsif/h2o.htm

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello LoneWolf and Osarsif,

thanks for your great, great work, researches

and informations with links, names and phone numbers.

I do greatly, as all the others too, appreciate your

efforts and cooperation to give the widest publicity

to this " IMPORTANT " issue.

Thanks again for re-posting here, it will help to

allow so many to get those informations.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• hsmew
    hsmew

Mac,

As you requested I'm posting this to the main thread for Trilobite who's reached the limit for today.

We seem to be at something of an impasse with the press. Currently, the Guardian seems to have an exclusive. I'd suggest we use that fact to get further publicity for the UN-WTS connection. One way that editors decide if a story is of sufficient interest to warrant follow ups is by the number of letters to the editor that the stories generate. So I suggest that as many of us as possible write to the editor of Guardian Weekly with a copy (cc'd) to the Guardian's editor too.

Also, send copies to the New York Times, Washington Post, As it Happens (Canadian Broadcast) etc. Nothing irks an editor more than to see a rival getting an exclusive. Also, if the Guardian editors see a huge number of letters it will be good for Stephen Bates too, who is doing a sterling job of getting this story out. If the big US papers publish something then the locals will likely follow.

The only way this will work is if we all write letters over the next few days so that the editors see a huge spike in interest. If possible, include something that would suggest a follow up article would be desirable, e.g., demand a response from the WTS. The idea is not so much to get the letter published, although some might be if enough are received, as to deluge the editors and thereby demonstrate global interest.

Be sure to use a provocative subject header in the e-mail subject line: I'm using: Jehovah's Witnesses and the UN: A study in Hypocrisy.

Here are the addresses and instructions (you can ask to be kept anonymous but they may not publish it).

The Guardian Weekly: Note the second address's instructions carefully; http://www.guardian.co.uk/GWeekly/Email_Editor/0,3961,210620,00.html Letters to the editor, Notes & Queries and other general editorial correspondence with the Guardian Weekly should be sent to our main e-mail address at
    [email protected]

But if you are among the many readers around the globe who would like to submit an article for possible publication as a "Letter from..." please send it to the new e-mail address of
    [email protected]

The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/0,6957,180522,00.html

Want to send a letter? You can email letters to the Guardian ar the following address:
    [email protected], fax them to 0207 837 4530, or post them to:
    19 Farringdon Road,
    London EC1R 3ER

We do not publish letters where only an email address is supplied; please include a full postal address and a reference to the relevant article. If you do not want your email address published, please say so.

Here's a preliminary draft of my letter. Appreciate yr thoughts:

To the Editor;

I was intrigued by Stephen Bates' excellent article in The Guardian Weekly, following up on previous articles in the Guardian, in which he exposes the hypocritical affiliation between the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York (Jehovah's Witnesses) and the United Nations. As pointed out by Mr. Bates, the Witnesses have denounced the UN, and the League of Nations before it, in apocalyptic terms for over 80 years. Judging by the activity on Witness discussion boards that these article have generated, tens of thousands of Witnesses across the world are asking "Why?" Not just why did the WTS affiliate as an NGO but why did they disaffiliate only two days after the first story in the Guardian? Almost two weeks later the Watchtower remains silent on this issue. Is it possibly because they can find no answer, except, perhaps "Guilty as charged." This silence in the face of worldwide spiritual unrest among the faithful does not bode well for the organization.

As an large international religion the WTS could accomplish much good for its followers, and others, as a UN affiliate. It is a great pity that the Society has decided to sacrifice this opporunity in favor of a mouldy, somewhat whacky, 1930s interpretation of rather obscure imagery in the Bible book of Revelation.

However, all may not be lost. The shock to the WTS that this latest revelation has induced also provides an opporunity for much needed reform; The Society must admit its duplicity, and, in a true spirit of Christian repentance commit to serious and open reform starting with its polices on blood, the handling of child abusers within its ranks and its severe disfellowshipping policy. Aftre that an overhaul of its inconsistent doctrinal basis should be instituted.

Yours etc.,

cc: The Editor, The Guardian

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I hate limits.

Trib you were sent something by me.

I will be in tomorrow at 8:15am tomorrow (Eastern Day Light Savings Time).

hawk

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,
    with great ...speed from Hawk and the link:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=13530&page=13&site=3
    here is the answer from the WTBS in London:

JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES
    OFFICE OF PUBLIC INFORMATION

October 22, 2001
    Letters Editor
    The Guardian
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Dear Sir,
    Stephen Bates' articles in The Guardian of October 8 and 15 substantially misrepresents the background to Jehovah’s Witnesses registration with the United Nations and contains a number of factual errors.
    In 1991 one of our legal corporations registered with the United Nations as a NGO (non-governmental organization) for the sole purpose of getting access to the extensive library of the United Nations. This enabled a writer who received an identification card, to enter their library for research purposes and to obtain information that has been used in writing articles in our journals about the United Nations. There was nothing secret about it.
    At the time of the initial application no signature was required on the form. Years later, unbe-known to the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the United Nations published “Criteria for As-sociation”, stipulating that affiliated NGO’s are required to support the goals of the United Nations.
    After learning of the situation, our membership as NGO was withdrawn and the ID card of the writer was returned.
    Sincerely,
    Paul Gillies
    Press Officer for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Britain
    Watch Tower Society, The Ridgeway, London NW7 1RN
    Fax: 020 8371 0051

and from “ The Guardian “ :
    Stephen Bates ‘ excellent answer:

...And this is how I've responded to Mr Gillies....
    cc:
    bcc:
    Subject: from Stephen Bates, the Guardian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Mr Gillies,
    I have just been shown your letter, submitted for publication two weeks after my initial article appeared in the Guardian.
    I would be very grateful if you would allow me to circulate it to the
    thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses who have contacted me since the articles appeared because, if there was nothing secret about your association with the Scarlet-Coloured Beast, I am surprised that so many followers did not know of it, given the WTBTS's frequent condemnation of the UN in its publications.

This may account for the witnesses' feelings of betrayal and sense of
    hypocrisy over the whole affair. If it was not secret and was only done to obtain a library ticket,. why did you not tell me when I spoke to you several days before the article appeared? Surely you would have known it or could have found out very easily - most press officers are able to do so.
    And why did the WTBTS decide to disaffiliate only two days after the article appeared, when the WTBTS "learned about a situation" which was anyway not secret? Any organisation which affiliates to another surely must know that it has to ascribe to its basic principles, so to pretend that acceptance of the UN charter's aims has been suddenly sprung on you is being disengenuous at best.
    As far as I can tell from your letter there are no factual inaccuracies in my reports for you have not pointed to any that you did not have the opportunity to explain to me when we spoke. I don't think the letter will be published. But then what would I know - I'm only bird seed in your demonology!
    Best wishes,
    Stephen Bates

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Thanks again Hawk, ...many more will be able to
    view such ...letters.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mac,

Thanks for your help.

Go to the other thread quoted above by Mac to see other peoples outstanding comments of Mr. Gillies response.

hawk

• Gozz
    Gozz

"Jehovah's Witnesses are an organization of truth. We should want to speak the truth and be absolutely accurate in every detail at all times. This should be so not only as regards doctrine but also in our quotations, what we say about others or how we represent them, also in matters involving scientific data or news events."
    - Theocratic Ministry School Guidebook, Page 110, paragraph 9,'Accuracy of Statement'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit