Are you in a cult and want out? Be on the Dr. Phil show!

by Dogpatch 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

For the record, I agree with RichieRich: Dr. Phil bugs me.

It would be nice to get some exposure, but I think the warnings posted by LadyLee and others are very sound.

Also, I suspect that Dr. Phil's lawyers won't let him call any group "cult" that appears to have deep pockets to pay lawyers for defamation. I'll bet he stays with the tiny ones, or the ones that don't have TV and churn their own butter.

Having said that, I would pay money to see RichieRich on the show. Better yet, I would like to see RR on that other show (can't remember the name) that always ends with a fight or exposed breasts. That would be cool!

~Q

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Fatfreak,

I enjoyed reading your letter (well, you know what I mean -- it was good.) All of my children are now shunning me. The way you described the cronology of events or stages in your exit and their ultimately shunning you was done very well.

I am quite familiar with that progression. I hope you get on the show. You seem like you have a calm nature, couple that with a deeply touching story about the ulitimate pain a person can go thru. I think it can be a good message to a JW watching the show.

And to anyone watching...I have a feeling they will think twice about that FREE expensive Bible study.

Rabbit

• carla
    carla

I don't watch Dr. Phil, just doesn't work out I guess. He is welcome to come and kidnap husband anytime he wants, keep for as long as needed.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

I happened to see the Dr. Phil show that had Steve Hassan as a guest last year. I think the producers and Dr. Phil are looking for REAL cults like the one featured on that show which was about one of the weird clan-like cults that lived in some compound, in Arizona or Utah or Nevada??? and basically controlled the town, didn't let the kids go to school, married the girls when they were still in puberty off to arranged marriages to really old guys, and were all controlled by a single man.

I think if an ex-JW (or current JW) contacted the show, the producer's would be like "Jehovah's Witnesses?? They were at my door this morning!"

The world knows that some of the Witness beliefs are loony like refusing blood but for the most part, most normal people easily recognize that Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult. Many people know Jehovah's Witnesses as friends, neighbors or co-workers and know that while they are different, they are not in a cult.

I think that if an ex-Witness were to get on the show, and start talking about Disfellowshipping, or the Faithful and Discreet Slave doctrine, apostacy, etc. that such things would require a deeper level of discussion to be made understandible why they might be cultic or cult-like for the TV audience and the producers would understand this after doing a little interviewing of potential guests.

That sort of thing doesn't make for good TV.

If someone could do a Dateline-type thing, where you have a victim of sexual abuse, that would talk about how it was covered up, or somethng like that, then it woudl be compelling television and I could see Dr. Phil having a JW or former JW with that situation on the show - or just possibly someone that almost died from rejecting blood transfusion might also make for a good guest.

But otherwise, what most of you guys are talking about, makes for pretty boring television - much too time demanding to get into the issues on a show that is likely to feature several guest-stories plus expert commentary.

-Eduardo

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I think the producers and Dr. Phil are looking for REAL cults like
    doctrine, apostacy, etc. that such things would require a deeper level of discussion to be made understandible why they might be cultic or cult-like for the TV audience and the producers would understand

crooked cult / crooked teeth

Danny sez:

I was denied dental braces in childhood by apocalyptic JW cult, cause Dad sez: "A pretty smile don't give everlasting life. Jehovah gonna give me new choppers in the Watchtower paradise."

back to Dangerous Words

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Posted at another exjw board:

(I sent a brief e-mail this morning to the show stating that we were ex-Witnesses and have been shunned for XX years.

A producer called me within a few hours.
    He did say that they were being contacted by a lot of ex-Witnesses. I told him that didn't surprise me one bit.

The producer wants to contact my XXXXXXXXX XXXXX who is now beginning to have doubts about the org. and after all these years has decided that he can talk to us. Hah!

Will have to see where this goes...)

• Golf
    Golf

RR, isn't it your passion for people to know the 'truth' about JW's? Dr. Phil is the medium to make this happen.

Golf

• Golf
    Golf

I highly recommend 'Dogpatch' to be on the Dr. Phil show!!!!!!!!!

Golf

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

It could be nice if they could get someone who hasn't seen their grandkids or a sibling for 20 years or something real emotional like that due to the Disfellowshipping/disassociation. That might work for TV without having to get into the underlying theology.

I can picture the studio audience "aawwwing" and shaking their heads, just from hearing that someone was shunned over something petty.

-Eduardo

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

It could be nice if they could get someone who hasn't seen their grandkids or a sibling for 20 years or something real emotional like that due to the Disfellowshipping/disassociation.That might work for TV without having to get into the underlying theology.

I can picture the studio audience "aawwwing" and shaking their heads, just

Dedicated to my family members, nieces and nephew Lauren, Ashley and Kevin Haszard that have gone missing in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit