HOW DO WE SOLVE THIS PARADOX?

by Terry 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    RELIGION TELLS US THAT man has a damaged consciousness polluted by sin.

Religion? No.

Orthodox Christianity says that, in many shades of nuances according to its different schools/confessions.

The paradox is almost absolute in Protestantism, especially of the Lutheran brand: revelation implies a miracle on the receiving end, allowing the believer to understand what he could never understand naturally. This is somewhat modified in Calvinism with the doctrine of "general revelation". And the paradox does not really exist in Catholicism with its "natural theology" which allows for understanding of a part of revelation by natural reason.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    paradoxes are not to be solved. this is why they are paradoxes and not crossword puzzles.

He he... very good.

• THE FROG
    THE FROG
    We don't solve the paradox, we simply see it's illusory nature and it's gone.

I couldn't have croaked it better myself!

• Sentient
    Sentient

Satanus- Terry has already figured this out, but I think he is just trying to demonstrate it to those who he probably knows aren't going to listen, or maybe for some outside validation of his conclusions, which I agree with here.
    It is impossible to "dump all beliefs", you would then have no mind or would be just like an infant. But, my goal in life is to do that to greatest extent possible, and I've found that by getting away from emotion-based religious/spiritual beliefs the world begins to make a whole lot more sense. Doesn't mean you get rid of emotions, but you recognize how your feelings can get in the way of objective truth. Still, in some ways I think you need to feel to really understand others, and it's something you have to keep monitoring as far as the conlclusions you reach. Also, removing the need to believe in something greater doesn't in itself make you a less caring or loving person contrary to what religion says. When you're trying to get to the bottom of it, it can kind of make you feel like you're going out of your mind at first to get through all the layers of programming. But there can be a big reward for real introspection, if you can stay sane enough to get through the process.
    Elsewhere- Damn straight.
    The Frog- You make a good point, once you've realized it you can either let the ignorance of others get to you or you can try and focus your understanding more constructively. Sometimes though I guess you just need to vent the frustration, but it can help to remember that you didn't always understand what you do now.
    tetrapod.sapien- Very interesting reflection there, I've faced that same dillema. It's difficult to escape the desire for transcendence. When you're really busy just trying to live life, the question kind of just fades. But eventually in those times of reflection you wonder where things with humanity can or might go. I think a greater degree of transcendence could happen or is happening, but I'm doubtful it's part of some ultimate grand purpose of some kind. I would define it has significantly greater freedom from fear, hate, abuse and violence...but never reaching some ultimate perfection that cannot be improved upon.
    JamesThomas- I think you and Terry are saying the same thing...lol.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry - I think you never really understood the gospel of Jesus Christ IF you are serious about your statements. It is through Jesus that we are made perfect - not by our own efforts and nor are we disqualified from the work with our weaknesses - it is through our weakness that God can work and make us perfect. Jesus paid the price so that in effect a believer was made immediately whole and fit for the work - and that includes ministering and writing scripture

You are trusting what you heard from man.

You are believing what was read from a book written by men.

You are even interpreting what you read and heard as a huMAN.

It is all MAN.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    and you just did it right there. the very thing that you are critisising. you say that religion teaches us to not trust ourselves, and that we are not good enough to figure it out on our own (i totally agree with you technically), but then you say we have a "glitch in our thinking". this is the same difference terry. it's not just semantics. it's the same difference.

You missed the "if".

You must first BUY IN to the basic belief that man should not trust his own thinking!

I do NOT buy in to that (anymore).

If I constantly stress one thing in my posts it is that we are our own solution when we are self-reliant.

The paradox of religion comes from the faulty premise that man cannot think for himself at the same time that the very messege itself MUST BE BELIEVED by faulty man!

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    And the paradox does not really exist in Catholicism with its "natural theology" which allows for understanding of a part of revelation by natural reason.

Ahhh, yes! The original Deux ex machina.

Define: DEUX EX MACHINA:

A resolution to a plot problem that is too convenient for the writer and unbelievable to the audience.
    www.soyouwannasellascript.com/source/glossary.cfm

• Terry
    Terry
    paradoxes are not to be solved. this is why they are paradoxes and not crossword puzzles.
    He he... very good.

However, in this instance it is no paradox at all.

How can you possibly miss the WHOLE POINT of my post????

This only appears to be a paradox because the premise (sinful man) is faulty.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    It is impossible to "dump all beliefs", you would then have no mind or would be just like an infant.

Belief must be tempered by the CONDITIONAL nature of your hypothesis.

Belief (to be useful and not crippling) must be PROVISIONAL pending more facts.

The problem with religion is that there is NOTHING PROVISIONAL about its belief system. It is dogmatically asserted to be backed up by the infinite and absolute power of an invisible deity speaking through a human mouthpiece.

Surely you see that.

T.

• Sentient
    Sentient

Exactly Terry!
    *hands Terry the iceberg of the month prize*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit