Dependence and US addiction on Foreign Oil

by stillajwexelder 24 Replies latest social current

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

the President said in the state of the union that the US must wean itself off imported oil/energy - This has to be positive and no matter what ones politics all must agree with this surely?

• Rook
    Rook

I'll vote for that... only if it would drop the taxes.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I'll vote for that... only if it would drop the taxes. Well I disagree - one way is for Congress to INCREASE tax on oil/gasoline to give an incentive to conserve and design fuel efficient cars

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Oh I agree and I think the man has balls of steel to stand up there and say that. Its almost like the anti-smoking stuff on Phillip-Morris's website. Let me give more corporate welfare to make more tanker sized SUVs that get two miles to the gallon, lets subvert the hybrids so that they are no longer fuel efficient and only go to making the car faster. Lets give some more corporate heads multi-million dollar salaries so they can cut the benefits to the worker-bees and outsource their jobs. Lets all go to work at minimum wage jobs so that we can serve those rich folks while we lose our houses and cars to higher and higher prices. Oh and while we're at it, lets make those tax breaks permanent for the top 1% of all taxpayers whilst the rest of us look back in fond memories of our $30.00 checks from five or six years ago. Oh, and I wonder why the economy looks good when we are borrowing 2 BILLION dollars a day from China?? Not to mention robbing from social security and medicaid and then wondering why its in trouble.

Did I mention that the National Guard also got an automatic duty extension of one year? All the while they are getting a few million cut from their next years budget. Do you know our state's national guard doesn't have ONE heavy vehicle right now? They are ALL in Iraq. No money to get more. They aren't alone, 17 other states have NO heavy vehicles for their National Guard troops at home. Its okay though, heaven knows we don't need protection at home. Specially since we know Georgie is listening in to our phone conversations. That'll take care of granny being all mouthy and all. Hell if all those seniors get thrown in the pen we won't have to worry about social security, will we?

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!

Sherry

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

so do you or do you not think the USA should wean itself off foreign oil? (without having a rant at Bush)

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Oh come, you can't tell? Absolutely. We should use more mass transit, we should try alternative fuels, we should try to utilize solar and wind power, and my jury is still out on nuclear power. I have mixed feelings on that. Ha, that should temper how liberal you think I am!!

Sherry

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Oh, and I still say the boobies are fake!

Sherry

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Absolutely. We should use more mass transit, we should try alternative fuels, we should try to utilize solar and wind power, and my jury is still out on nuclear power.

EXCELLENT

• Sentient
    Sentient

Makes sense to me. Can't say for sure how well it will work but how about investing a little more money in this kind of thing? http://www.changingworldtech.com/ Bush was right about creativity being the greatest asset, it is. Should I live on for a while, one of my greatest life's interests will be to help unleash the creative power that lies dormant in the minds of the masses. As uncle Scrooge always said, work smarter, not harder.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

THE TECHNOLOGY CRISIS
    Fewer Nobel Prizes have been awarded to American scientists. Published research has fallen precipitously. America’s share of industrial patents has fallen steadily in the last 20 years. All of these are signs that American dominance in education, talent and ingenuity is declining. Economic globalization is taking its toll.

A reduction in both government and corporate spending in the areas of research and development is a major cause of this decline. Fewer scientists are being produced by our educational system, and fewer students, particularly from Asia, have opted to study in the United States. As young Americans shun scientific careers, and the present technical workforce ages, the scientific gap will widen. These factors paint a gloomy picture, and will cause technical innovation to be less of a driving force behind the U.S. economy. In particular, breakthroughs in medicine, environmental control and energy innovation will be developed in other countries. The implications for new jobs, industry growth, national security, and our standard of living are ominous.

The United States is entering a lone struggle to retain world leadership in science and technology. It is paramount that both government and corporate America invest in our native talent and encourage a renaissance of research and development. Breakthroughs like the TCP technology will continue to stimulate research into related technologies, as long as companies continue to reinvest in new ideas.

THIS BIT IS SO TRUE - I HAVE SAID BEFORE AND WILL SAY AGAIN - MORE SCIENTIST AND ENGINEERS AND LESS LAWYERS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit