Dependence and US addiction on Foreign Oil

by stillajwexelder 24 Replies latest social current

• FairMind
    FairMind
    the US must wean itself off imported oil/energy

Agreed! However, it is all talk and even if serious is too little too late. The fact that world production of oil much less USA production would fall far below consumption and become progressively worse has been known for over 50 years. The only roses we may smell are those at the funeral of modern civilization. The writer of the foregoing opinion disclaims any liability if things improve.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Bush said his goal is to diversify away from a “hydrocarbon society.”

“I meant what I said last night, that America’s addiction to oil is bad for this country. In order to remain competitive we’ve got to use technology to diversify away from dependence upon oil,” the president said.

“I am told we are close to significant breakthroughs when it comes to the production of ethanol ... and that within six years the development of technology will be able to produce energy on a competitive basis.”

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

We have the answers right here, right now. However, no one wants to "pay" anything. Bush hasn't asked American's for any sacrifice. Bush has in 4 of his previous State of the Union addresses mentioned oil, yet has done nothing. Of course the same can be said about all the Prez going back to Carter and the last true oil crisis.

Doing NOTHING while saying new technology is right around the corner to save us from ourselves is just plain inane. Notice Bushboy didn't once call for higher CAFE standards, the only proven method of driving up MPG rates. An oil man in the white house will bring us only more of the same. Did you really think anything else would come of him? Please.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    “I am told we are close to significant breakthroughs when it comes to the production of ethanol ... and that within six years the development of technology will be able to produce energy on a competitive basis.”

Political rheteoric and means very little

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Not sure about that - there are loads of politiocal interests - Midwest farmers for example producing ethanol and biodiesel from corn etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit