Is there anyone at Bethel who knows Greek or Hebrew?

by VM44 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

VM44

The identity of the NWT Committee remains unknown and unknowable because under the Deed of Arrangement between the NWT Committee and the publisher of the NWT, the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvannia, their anoymity was enshrined for perpetuity.This arrangement for the publication and its conditions as a gift to the aforesaid publishing agency was effective as of September 3, 1949.

Much has been written although entirely of speculation, gossip and rumour about the identity of those formidable scholars who have and continue to produce the most brilliant translation ever of God's Holy Word which truly honors the Divine Author. We simply do not know who they were and that Committee continues to exist under the direction of the Faithful and Discreet Slave.

Further, celebrated WT scholars over many centuries have laboured long and hard for the continued preservation, integrity and understanding of the Bible and are pleased to be associated with men and women regardless of their destiny in preaching God's Kingdom furthered and advanced by that wonderful instrument the NWT.

scholar JW

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The needle is stick in the groove, The needle is stick in the groove, The needle is stick in the groove, The needle is stick in the groove, The needle is stick in the groove, The needle is stick in the groove,

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    Further, celebrated WT scholars over many centuries have laboured long and hard for the continued preservation, integrity and understanding of the Bible and are pleased to be associated with men and women regardless of their destiny in preaching God's Kingdom furthered and advanced by that wonderful instrument the NWT.

scholar JW

I just laughed so hard my left testicle fell off. (cool pic in your avatar now, stillajwexelder)

• toreador
    toreador

LOL Scholar,

Have you ever thought of stand up comedy as a gig.

Tor

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

AlanF,

OK - I got it back to front in that FW Franz declined to translate an English sentence into Hebrew - and I am happy to be corrected on those details.

All I can say from my own experience where I am presently working in Papua New Guinea:

- I have never experienced any more difficulty in translating English into the Tok Pisin language, than I have experienced doing the reverse.

The 1954 Douglas Walsh case did, though, show FW Franz to be a novice - even a raw novice - in his knowledge of the Hebrew language. That does not exactly instill any confidence in the accuracy of the New World Translation - he was the only committee member to have any knowledge of the Hebrew language at all!

(There is an expression where I come from, to the effect that "A little knowledge is dangerous." )

When I first started studying with / being indoctrinated by the JWs, I was told that FW Franz was "The World's Foremost Scholar in Hebrew and Greek." Not knowing any better, I actually believed that at the time (Yeah, I know - silly bugger!)

As to instances where the NWT has mis-translated certain Hebrew words, I can't recall offhand exactly, but will do some research and locate these.

Jack.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

AlanF,

One such recent example of NWT error in translating from Hebrew is discussed in the post "Bible Translation" on 15 December 2005. (This mis-translation appears to be more than just doctrinal bias).

I hope that this is of interest to you.

Jack.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

No, but they can speak Pig-Latin

• AlanF
    AlanF

Reefton Jack said:

: I have never experienced any more difficulty in translating English into the Tok Pisin language, than I have experienced doing the reverse.

Well I think that just goes to show how much of an armchair scholar Freddie Franz was. You obviously have experience translating both ways because you have a real, working knowledge of both languages. Franz learned Hebrew from reference books, and that's a notoriously bad way of learning a language. Today we have a similar thing going on with many Japanese and Chinese nationals in certain technical fields. They often learn technical English which is rather different from spoken English, and so they're quite able to read and understand most written English, but are horribly difficult to understand when they try to speak, and almost hopeless in translating from Japanese or Chinese to English. For example, I worked for a total of about a year with a brilliant Chinese man from Beijing, doing electronic design. He could read technical papers without difficulty, and could understand spoken English fairly well, but it took a great deal of effort for any of his American coworkers to understand him, not only because of his extremely heavy accent, but because he was not able to phrase things properly.

: The 1954 Douglas Walsh case did, though, show FW Franz to be a novice - even a raw novice - in his knowledge of the Hebrew language. That does not exactly instill any confidence in the accuracy of the New World Translation

That may or may not be true. One must deal with many specific examples before one can generalize.

: - he was the only committee member to have any knowledge of the Hebrew language at all!

Right.

: (There is an expression where I come from, to the effect that "A little knowledge is dangerous." )

I think that was particularly true of C. T. Russell.

: When I first started studying with / being indoctrinated by the JWs, I was told that FW Franz was "The World's Foremost Scholar in Hebrew and Greek." Not knowing any better, I actually believed that at the time (Yeah, I know - silly bugger!)

Join the group. I was similarly indoctrinated about Franz when I was young. Only after I quit the cult and did some investigation did I learn that Franz was a brilliant but deranged man.

: As to instances where the NWT has mis-translated certain Hebrew words, I can't recall offhand exactly, but will do some research and locate these.

: . . .

: One such recent example of NWT error in translating from Hebrew is discussed in the post "Bible Translation" on 15 December 2005. (This mis-translation appears to be more than just doctrinal bias).

I take it you're talking about this thread from 14 December: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/103627/1.ashx

The only thing I see there is a few brief comments about the terms "ruach, spirit, active force". Is this what you have in mind?

AlanF

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

scholar JW

You're a classic!

You're following the WTS Writing Department - bald (and nold) statements with not a shred of evidence.

Not at all scholarly!!! Naughty boy, you should know better!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Scholar:

In any case, "WT scholars over many centuries!? You can't even count!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit