Is there anyone at Bethel who knows Greek or Hebrew?

by VM44 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44

Fred Franz was known to have some knowledge of the Greek and Hebrew languages, and made use of that knowledge when he worked on the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

But he died in 1992. Is there anyone at Bethel today who has a knowledge of these Biblicl languages?

It would be strange if a religious book publishing organization turned out to have no one at all who could read the Bible in its original languages.

Does anyone know what people are currently on The Watchtower's Bible translation committee, and if they know the languages?

--VM44

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good question.

I seriously doubt it to be honest. Once the NWT was done and officially sealed as the version that Jehovah would have us read - what more needs to be studied in those languages?

Jeff

• VM44
    VM44

Jim Penton, over at Channel C, wrote that he has been told that there is no one at Bethel today who knows Hebrew.

The Watchtower has a growing need for lawyers, accountants, and engineers, but apparently little need for Biblical language people. This sort of emphasis on secular skills shows truly that The Watchtower is more of a business corporate entity than a religious one.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

In the interest of accuracy, here is exactly what Jim Penton wrote at Channel C. --VM44

"I have it on good authority that there is no one at Bethel that knows either Greek or Hebrew."

• SomeGeek
    SomeGeek

Crime and a shame....do the leaders have to even go to Semenary or Divinity school?

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

Some of the members of the Governing Body that are still alive are fluent in Koine Greek and know Hebrew as well. Brother Klein (if he's still alive) knows/knew Greek. Brother Sydlik had something to do with the NWT I think. A good friend of mine that teaches traveling overseers at Patterson is very well versed in teh Koine dialect. If he is, I'm sure many other teachers and others there know it.

I recieved my degree in New Testament Greek from London Bible College. I also have some knowledge of Hebrew.

• VM44
    VM44

There is Gilead School for the missionaries.

But I think only modern languages are taught there, to prepare the missionaries for their foreign assignments.

More than anything else, the Governing Body memebers were selected based upon their loyalty to the Organization. The only religious training most of the GB members have is what they have been taught by The Watchtower."

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Theocrat,

So there are a few people, here and there, who know Koine Greek, and perhaps a few that know Hebrew as well.

That is good, I was starting to get the impression that everyone who knew a language had died off or left Bethel.

But the question still is if the Watchtower Bible translation committee makes use of these people who know greek or hebrew.

--VM44

• sir82
    sir82

An interest in Koine Greek or Biblical Hebrew would imply that there was still a need to refer to ancient manuscripts.

As the NWT is perfect for reinforcing current doctrine, there is no need for any Bethelite to know those languages. In fact, any attempt to study ancient manuscripts, as if they might teach something other than JW doctrine, would be at the very least viewed as a sign of weak faith, and depending on which way the wind was blowing, could result in apostasy charges.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I guess this thread is mostly about Brooklyn, but the French NWT translator did learn Biblical Hebrew and Greek. He was the exception among his colleagues, and for this reason the complete French NWT was published in 1974, many years later than the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc., the translation of which had begun at the same time. He was trusted and respected enough by "the Americans" for them to let him complete his work at his own pace.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/86744/1.ashx

When I worked in the French translation dept. in the early 80's, the Bethel elder in charge of the department was interested in Biblical languages, but he lacked time. When I told him I had started to learn Hebrew and Greek he encouraged me. However this was not officially encouraged: I remember when I started translating the Aid book I had to work out a transliteration system, and we received clear instructions that any transliteration system should have to work from the English transliterations, so that translators would never need to look up the originals. Perhaps it was only a practical rule, but it definitely gave me the impression that Brooklyn didn't want too many translators to access the Biblical languages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit