Is there anyone at Bethel who knows Greek or Hebrew?

by VM44 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

The following list of NWT translators is a compilation from a variety of sources:

Frederick W. Franz: Main translator. Took liberal arts sequence at University of Cincinnati; 21 semester hours of classical Greek, some Latin. Partially completed a two-hour survey course in Biblical Greek in junior year; course titled "The New Testament--A course in grammar and translation." Left in spring of 1914 before completing junior year. Self-taught in Spanish, biblical Hebrew and Aramaic. Entered Brooklyn headquarters facility of Watchtower Society in 1920. Probable ghost writer for J. F. Rutherford (2nd president of WTS) from late 1920s through 1942. Vice president of WTS from 1942 to 1977, president from 1977 until death in 1992 at age 99.

Franz writes in his autobiography: "What a blessing it was to study Bible Greek under Professor Arthur Kensella! Under Dr. Joseph Harry, an author of some Greek works, I also studied the classical Greek. I knew that if I wanted to become a Presbyterian clergyman, I had to have a command of Bible Greek. So I furiously applied myself and got passing grades" (The Watchtower, May 1, 1987, p. 24). Franz gives the impression that the bulk of his Greek studies were "Bible Greek" under "Professor Kensella" and that classical Greek was secondary under "Dr. Joseph Harry." The opposite is true. As mentioned above, Franz only took one 2-hour credit class of "Bible Greek" but 21 hours of classical Greek. According to the course catalog of 1911, Arthur Kensella was not a professor of Greek, as Franz wrote, but an "instructor in Greek." Kensella did not have a Ph.D. and he therefore taught entry-level courses.

Nathan H. Knorr: No training in biblical languages. Entered Brooklyn headquarters in 1923; 3rd president of WTS from 1942 to 1977. Died 1977 at age 72.

Milton G. Henschel: No training in biblical languages. Private secretary and traveling companion to N. H. Knorr from late 1940s until early 1970s. 4th president of WTS from 1992 to 2000. Died 2003 at age 82.

Albert D. Schroeder: No training in biblical languages. Took 3 years of mechanical engineering, unspecified language courses in college, dropped out in 1932 and soon entered Brooklyn headquarters. Registrar of "Gilead School" from 1942 to 1959. Still living, age about 94.

Karl Klein: No training in biblical languages. Entered Brooklyn headquarters in 1925; member of Writing Dept. since 1950. Died 2001 at age 96.

George D. Gangas: No training in biblical languages. Greek-speaking Turkish national, entered Brooklyn headquarters in 1928 as a Greek translator from English to modern Greek publications. Died 1994 at age 98.

Franz was the only man capable of doing real translation work. He did the copious footnotes (which included textual sources) and marginal notes, which in the original six volumes of the NWT were more extensive than in the 1984 edition. Gangas was a native Greek speaker, knew little of Koine Greek, and apparently helped out with a variety of non-translation tasks including reviewing the English grammar for continuity of expression. From all information published about him personally, one readily concludes that Knorr was the business administrator for the Translation Committee. Henschel might have been on it to take care of legal/secretarial matters. Schroeder and Klein did the cross references.

The NWT Committee has always been extremely secretive, and so information about who was on it has only trickled out of the Brooklyn headquarters as various staff members have left and revealed what they knew. Scant information has been published; other information has leaked by word of mouth.

Frederick Franz has been criticized for supposedly not being proficient in Biblical Hebrew. This is patently false, since someone had to be competent enough to produce a workable translation, and it certainly was not the other men on the NWT Committee. Franz's nephew, Raymond Franz, who resigned from the Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body in 1980 and was excommunicated in 1981, listed some of the members of the NWT Committee in his 1983 book Crisis of Conscience. He has told me and others that he once observed his uncle silently reading an ancient Hebrew manuscript in a museum display case, which the elder Franz is not likely to have done in private unless he was actually able to make sense of it. But because the elder Franz has internally been termed "the oracle of the [JW] organization" and was clearly its "head theologian" from 1942 until his gradual retirement in the 1980s, he certainly inserted his religious biases into his translation work.

AlanF

• Forscher
    Forscher

Good work Alan!
    Franz's college transcript Fred Franz's college transcript shows that Franz took about 15 hrs. of Latin as well as the 21 hrs of Greek. That explains the extensive reliance on the Vulgate in the footnotes of the NWT. He was probably more comfortable with Latin than Koine since he had only 2 hrs. formal training in Koine and 15 in Latin.
    Forscher

• Rook
    Rook

I'm sure they will claim that they do....but when put to the test, they will Choke.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Crime and a shame....do the leaders have to even go to Semenary or Divinity school?

gasp!!! You don't really think they would mix with Christendom, do you???

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I wouldn`t take Theocrats statements on this issue to seriously. I looked thru his post history, and he is clearly a WTS-apologist. Not that that would exclude anyone from the forum (freedom of speech) - but I personally don`t trust any Yahowahs Witness any further than I can throw him.

• z
    z

I spike Hebrew new and Biblical the are my mother tang
    Biblical Hebrew is very difficult I study it for 15yr today I can say I’m not bad, in Israel people study the languish form yang age fluent Hebrew may have sometime difficult understanding it if you don’t spike or write the modern Hebrew you will have hard time with the Biblical one allot more harder than the modern one. In Hebrew one word can be many differed mining. I don’t see one how study the languish for two or there years will understand it or better will be ably to translate Biblical Hebrew no way dream on

Z

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Thanks Alan for the info.

I thought there used to be a version of the NWT that had the original language beneath the English translation. At least for the New Testament. Anyone remember that? Or am I thinking of something else.

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures contains three Bible texts. The New testament in the Original Greek, by B. F. Westcott and F. J. A. Hort, 1881, with a word-for word translation from 1969 underneath, as rendered from the Original Greek Language, by the New World Translation Committee, and English text running alongside it taken from the 1984 revision of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

-silent

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

AlanF,

Concerning Franz's abilities with the Hebrew language - did he not get caught out in a 1954 court case in Scotland, where he declined to translate a very basic sentence from Hebrew into English?

Whatever other reason could he have had for declining the challenge, other than his not being confident in translating even a simple sentence?

Further to that, there have been a number of posts on this board from Hebrew-speaking people, concerning the NWT rendering of certain Hebrew words. In this, the New World Translation has been way off the mark to the point of being laughable.

Jack.

• SadElder
    SadElder

I think all their training is now in pig-latin.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Reefton Jack said:

: Concerning Franz's abilities with the Hebrew language - did he not get caught out in a 1954 court case in Scotland, where he declined to translate a very basic sentence from Hebrew into English?

You're thinking of the Douglas Walsh Trial. There's a great deal of misconception about Franz's declining to translate a sentence.

First, he was not asked to do what you said. Rather, he was asked to translate a sentence from English into Hebrew. Franz was an armchair scholar, untrained by real Hebrew scholars, and so he didn't have the background that a student normally accumulates during class time and by interaction with a teacher and other students. As an armchair scholar, he would almost certainly have been on a relatively beginning level of expertise in ancient Hebrew. Most people who learn foreign languages know that it's a good deal more difficult for a beginning student to translate from his native language into the foreign language than the other way round. For example, I learned a bit of Spanish and French in classes, and had a lot more trouble translating from English to them than understanding them. So I consider Franz's refusal to translate evidence that he was indeed self-taught in Hebrew and not much further than at a beginner's level.

: Whatever other reason could he have had for declining the challenge, other than his not being confident in translating even a simple sentence?

I hope I've answered your question. He was indeed not confident about translating from English to Hebrew.

: Further to that, there have been a number of posts on this board from Hebrew-speaking people, concerning the NWT rendering of certain Hebrew words. In this, the New World Translation has been way off the mark to the point of being laughable.

I guess I haven't read those posts, so perhaps you could point me to them. I do remember a number of posts about Greek difficulties.

In my online experience, however, at least 90% of the criticisms of the NWT boil down to doctrinally motivated disputes. Now of course, I'm entirely untrained in ancient Hebrew or Greek, but am quite able to look up material in lexicons, source references and various Bible translations, of which I have a pretty good collection. In most cases I've looked at, Franz had some justification language-wise to translate as he did. Of course, Franz had his biases, just as all translators do, and so we see in the NWT the biases generated by the previous 70 years of JW / Bible Student doctrines. Nevertheless, I'm of the opinion that several NT passages in the NWT are completely unjustified and were done that way because, and only because, Franz wanted to created "scriptural" justification for certain key JW doctrines.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit