Crazy Californian Witnesses...

by Dune 37 Replies latest jw friends

• slugga
    slugga

CANVEY ISLAND congregation in Essex !

It was well know as a hot bed of sin and debauchery. You only had to be in the same room as someone from there and you would either end up with a STD or pregnant lol plus they'd probably steal your wallet.

Seriously though if a social event was being planned and word got out that someone from Canvey was coming, brothers and sisters would drop out of coming. I was like having a kiddies party and then telling everyone that you've invited Freddie Kruger as well, it was a sure fire way to cut down on the numbers.

• Clam
    Clam

Here is a picture of some Californian sisters out on field service.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

I grew up in small town New Mexico so I am familiar with the congregatons/circuit and district of the Southwest. Then came out here to Los Angeles in 1989.

I think, aside from the socio-economic cultural differences and there are those of course, as far as the Witness culture itself, there isn't much of a difference. If anything, I have found the Calif congregations that I have seen or been a part of to be more conservative and orthodox in practice than the ones in the Southwest.

However, California does seem to have more congregations of mixed cultures/ethnicities and I suspect that this situation might have given rise to unfounded claims that California congregations are more liberal.

Additionally, in LA at least there is certainly a lot more recreational opportunities than elsewhere so this also might be a source for the belief that California JWs are living it up and partying types.

-Eduardo

• Nina
    Nina

I "got the truth" in Hollywood congregation and I can't say that there was anything too wild going on there!

Lemme think.....there was a brother who wouldn't play any music other than Kingdom songs, there were several verrrry old people, well-respected as being "of the annointed", there were several self-employed Elders raising families, a few musicians, the occasional famous JW (but they weren't actually in Hollywood congregation).

There was a "sister" baptized the same day that I was who never appeared at the Kingdom Hall after that date. The brothers went to check up on her and found her living in an apartment on Hollywood Blvd., um...."plying her trade". Sheryl S., if you're reading this, we missed you at the baptism party that night!

Nina

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Lived most of my life among those crazy Californian witnesses...never saw none of that. Boy I must have been very sheltered.

Josie

• rekless
    rekless

I lived in Clearlake, Ca. for 35 years and went KH for 30.We did have an incident with some LA witnesses who moved in to show us how our small congregation could blossom. Weeeell,the younger brother ran away with the older brother's wife, while the older brother became depressed and in turn ran away with the waitress that worked at his Steak House who was married to an unbeliever. They were all DFed and I believe their story was spread far and wide. We were very conservative. Waaaaahaaaaaa.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I always heard that too actually. I was told apparently alot of the grooming requirements aren't requirements everywhere. Like I was always in trouble for growing my hair too long, but I was told if I were in California I wouldn't be in trouble for it. I thought that was a little crazy. Then I dyed my hair purple...apparently that's not acceptable in any congregation. That's the only thing though, I never really heard much other than they're more liberal in the personal grooming department.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I was a witness for 30+ years and the only wife swapping I ever heard of took place at Bethel! There was word of that and the boys in bed with each other getting bounced out in the 1970's. That's the East coast isnt it? No, wait, thats the capital of the Spiritual Paradise!

W.Once

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

I attended a congregation in California for about a month and everyone there seems pretty straight-laced.

Growing up in Maryland I heard several stories about wife swapping. There was even an incident where several couples were involved and they had the whole thing on video tape! The elders of course had to review all of the tapes to see what sins were being committed.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance
    It was well know as a hot bed of sin and debauchery. You only had to be in the same room as someone from there and you would either end up with a STD or pregnant lol plus they'd probably steal your wallet.

Isn't that anywhere in Essex?

I always heard that too actually. I was told apparently alot of the grooming requirements aren't requirements everywhere.

I remember in our congregation in CT we had a brother that had a beard and they let him keep it for awhile because he was from Maine and it was acceptable up there. I always laughed at the beard thing because almost every picture in their publications showing ancient times depicts men with beards. WWJD?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit