Can DaVinci Code make Witnesses think?

by Lilycurly 25 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I read 'the da Vinci Code', then promptly went away and read 'Secrets of the Code' to start learning the true story. Nothing in the DVC made me lost my faith in the bible.

• Sentient
    Sentient

Brigid,
    As I said, not tomorrow, and probably not the next day. I don't believe in prophecies anymore (except the self-fulfilling kind), and I don't think there are guaruntees of what's going to happen or not. But I don't believe I'm any better than Joe Blow. He just hasn't learned how to use his own head yet...maybe books like the DVC are a beginning. If Joe Blow is not ready for something today, doesn't mean he won't be next year. Or it doesn't mean his kids won't be. You can believe in others more when you believe in yourself more. From what I've experienced, the naked truth is only scary when you haven't moved past the wall. Once you see begin to move into that void, it is actually beautiful. Deep down, everyone wants to be happy and fulfilled in life. Whether you see the ugliness or the beauty of the world depends on what you choose to see.
    I think there are many people besides Satanists who live in the moment, and not all them see the world exactly the way Satanists do (they generally seem kind of jaded to me). When you've stared death in the face, I think two things can happen. One, you come away with a longing to die or a loathing of life and self. Two, you come away with a longing to live life to the fullest each day, being deeply grateful for each day and seeing the world through as if through the eyes of a child again. I think that really then do you have a special opportunity to live your life authentically. (Well, sorry if I'm getting off topic here...I'm supposed to be talking about he DVC right?)

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Great, great book, as was Angels and Demons (his first two books are crap, though). I don't see how it would make any 'life altering shocks' to a JW - they wouldn't believe half of what the premise is based on and even less of the 'conclusion'.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

But it's an emotional book....and my father is easily moved by emotions...

• undercover
    undercover

I talked to a couple of non-JW friends last night and asked them what they thought about the book. They both felt that the author had issues with the Catholic church.

Knowing that the WTS has always taken shots against the Catholics and that most JWs have adopted the same prejudice, the book might just confirm to a JW how rotten the Catholic church is, all the while never realizing that they are trapped in just as devious a religious society.

• jojochan
    jojochan

I know, my cousin had just finished reading the whole book and she was spooked to say the least. She said she had weird feelings throughout the reading of that book. She asked me why was that, and I replied,"Your brain is making new connections in processing materials, relax girl, YOU ARE THINKING.

Just too add I also gave her a copy of the "Iron Triangle" to further spook her out,lol.

jojochan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit