Can DaVinci Code make Witnesses think?

by Lilycurly 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I've just finished reading the book...and I know most of it is fiction, but some of you might have read it too. As an ex-JW, it really made me think...the author has an excellent way to make one think outside the box without making it look like he wants to ram his ideas into your head...You know, it's kind of subtle, amongst all the action and enigmas. My father loves to read...I really want him to read that book. Anyone got a good experience making a person spark using DVC?

• jojochan
    jojochan

I read the book as well loved it, and can't wait for movie to come out,I also told others about it. The funny thing is certain dubs are wary of the book. "Does it promote false teaching?" Was the response that my mom gave. I ended up telling her, "It's a BOOK."

What gave me that spark was indeed " the village " How the village elders created a whole society away from reality. Then at the end they were nothing more than people hurt and distraught from the world outside. It hit too close to home for me. But with my folks it went WAY over their heads, or so I think. I wonder what one would think of the Ann Rice novel about Jesus? I just started reading that one.

jojochan.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oooh, I've never read an Ann Rice book, but that one seems nice. The Village did nothing for my father...so maybe I shouldn't waste my time. I mean, it was so obvious, and he never saw the similarities.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I know of dubs who've read it. Dubs are reluctant to read it. Those that do are even more reluctant to tell others.

I thought it was a fun book. So was angels and demons.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Well, he saw the movie preview and the movie banners at the theatre...so he might be tempted. He does read Stephen King's novels, afterall. I think I'll just leave it lying around...the temptation might be to hard.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Two of my family members, both hardcore dubs read the Davinci Code and all they came away with was how it proved to them how false the Catholic church was.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Good lord!!lol Hmmm...I thought it might lead him to that conclusion...but you know, when they talk of Mary M, what happened with the gnostic scriptures etc...it's bound to make anyone think, no?

• Brigid
    Brigid

The Da Vinci Code is far more than a book. Brown brings to "fictional" light this truth: Our world and the way we operate as a human system is built pretty much on lies or more delicately put, mythos. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Most of us need it to function. We read this book as our first in my book club. We're an ecclectic bunch with some Jewish, Christian, secular, women. We asked ourselves if we had irrefutable proof that Jesus was just a man and he was married (you know, basically blowing holes in the Christian foundation) would we expose that to the world? We unanimously (especially the Jewish women) said "No". People need that to believe in. The Greeks needed their gods/goddesses to explain their world. The Sumerians needed their myths and legends in the same way. Jews need to believe that Moses was very much a Hebrew even if some scholars believed him to be an Egyptian mage who manipulated the slave populace in revolt.

If much of the Christian world needs to believe that a Hebrew sky-god came to earth, inseminated a woman with his divine seed, the product then died as a propitiatory sacrifice for all mankind, etc. Let them have it! It helps so many people feel safe to know that there is salvation at the end of the road. That we're more than just hairless apes groping about on a meaningless suicide mission.

~Brigid (who needs god/goddess in ALL their forms)

p.s. Brown nailed one thing for absolute sure: If Jesus were a rabbi, not to be married by 18 would have to be noted and explained away, otherwise, he would have been extremely suspect and this would have been mentioned by the Pharisees and laymen of the day. They picked on him for many things--this would have been HUGE! Instead, he was able to preach Torah in the synagogues from the Bimah (Pulpit) and for the most part, Christianity was very much a subset of Pharisaic (Rabbinic) Judaism and was made up entirely of Jews for many years. He simply could not have done this without a mention of his single status in the writings trying to promote (or refute) his teachings. Would not have happened. Even today, single rabbis are looked at askance!

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Exactly Brigid! I know there are many parts of the book that made me stop and wish with all my hearth that my father would read that. Especially when it talked about mythos, like you so well said.

I'm currently reading a book almost as big as the novel that details some of what is talked about in the DVC...very intersting read. It's like seeing things in a whole new light.

• Trojan
    Trojan

Nope! No way. As somebody here noted hardcore JW will make whatever it is......

I've read the book as soon as it came out. I ALWAYS read ANYTHING I could get my hands on......never allowed ANYBODY to forbid/censor what I read...after several years into "the truth", I allowed that very same GOOD habit to be surpressed by ....you know by what.

So, last summer I've started picking up again on all kinds of books (say it historical, archaeological, evern weird topics). Among these I've read DVC. Now here's my experience with that:

Most average JW will look at you with a very strange look in their face! One time it slipped out on a bethel table that i've read the book and the ones around me said that books is satanical and where shocked....later one I found out that some others had read the book (the more open minded type of JW) and where shutting up.....

The real truth can sometimes be uncomfortable. And foremost the same goes with this book or the other thread about the movie "The Island": 98% of JW WILL NOT see similarities. They DON'T WAN'T to see it and shut their brains off....that part of their brains (the critical / analyzing part of it) is SHUT OFF! Believe me. YOU are seeing things through a new eye. The clones in The Island could not understand what the outside world was, because it wasn't an option.

NO, if you have hopes with the DVC. Don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit